Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David

Shutting the site down

34 posts in this topic

I am really sorry to say this, but I am going to be shutting this site down. I have been absent for many years already, and left this site in such a sad state of affairs that I no longer have the desire to keep this site running, because it really needs attention that I don't have the time or quite frankly the willingness to devote to it. At least not in the way that it deserves.

I've had some major changes in my life with moving back to the coast, losing both of my parents, and almost dying, that have happened to the point that I'm not the same person that I was when I first started this up. And not even really in the last five years as it stands. I still love football and the Saints but my desire to share almost anything online has all but evaporated. 

I will always been eternally grateful for the friends I have made here along the way. In the end the only thing that matters is how people treated you and made you feel - what your memories are - and I have met some of the best people on earth through this site. I have made memories that I will remember for the rest of my days. And that's priceless.

I hope those of you who have stuck around can say the same.

I cannot apologize enough for never making this site what it should have been. I had plenty of ideas but little execution, and for that I am sorry. Y'all really deserved better than what I have done, especially in the last almost 10 years now. I basically walked away because my personal issues and so many things have changed for me that I just don't have the passion that I once did for doing any of this. Web development is my job. I still enjoy doing it, but it is work, and after I get through with work I really don't want to do more work. I know how that sounds, but it is what it is. 

This site was never about me - it was always about you. You brought the viewpoints, the humor, the support, and the passion. 

I'll leave the site up for a couple of weeks but after that I am going to pull it down. I will probably put up something at the whodatzone.com domain but the forum as it is will be gone. My life is better for having had this site and the opportunity to meet so many great people and have so many great experiences. I hope you can say the same.

There are many of us that know exactly what you are feeling. I've been here since Katrina and it is usually the first thing I open up when I sit down at my pc. I wish you nothing but good fortune, David, and I thank you for bringing us all together. I'll never forget you guys and the discussions.

David, I cannot thank you enough for this site. It is the first page and the last page I check every time I get on the internet. Many of you have been here for me in some of the hardest moments of my life. I will miss you all, and again David thank you again for giving us a place to share. 

The one constant in life is change.  We all go through it for better or worse; we understand your decision David.

The Saints and this site were a pleasant distraction from other forms of media, and a place where we could express ourselves.  I am not a social media person and this was actually the only site that I participated in, partly  because of the subject matter and mostly because of the people, and the civilized nature of the discussion.

I was off and on over the years as my own life changed, but as things happened with the Saints I always looked here for both information and to share my opinion.  Like most good things, there is an end.

Thank you David for giving us a good natured forum over the years.  You should have no regrets as the people here enjoyed the forum and it’s simplicity.  It was like having a pen and paper. We wish you the best with your life and future.

Thank you to all the members who participated and your support and responses. I’ve made some wonderful friends around the world because of it.  I will miss hearing from you.

We’ve had fun over the years, from Ditka and Haslett, to Brees and Payton, through the heartbreaking losses to a Super Bowl victory that made “Still Waiting” change his name! 😂

As Brees retires so does the Whodatzone!   I wish everyone the best!

David, I have to say I am not surprised and completely understand.  I myself have not been here much at all, despite being one of the oldest members.   I barely look at sports websites at all anymore.

I will always appreciate the Saints home you provided here, as it kept me connected to New Orleans.  I have lived in Texas over 22 years now, and have planted some serious roots by purchasing a small ranch late last year.  My fandom in the Saints has waned over the last several years, and I have lost faith in the integrity of the NFL after the BS I have witnessed.  It is truly the "No Fun League" now.

I will probably continue to watch them, even with Drew now gone, but my passion for them is lost.  I would like to give a hat-tip to Etienne for keeping the faith for the last several years and staying on top of things around here.

Thanks for the memories, I have some really good ones from your site, especially the chat room during games.

Pat

Edited by Patrick
nolaspe, Bonckers, Saint ATN and 1 other like this

David, I appreciate all the work and effort you've put into this site.  I came on board this site around 1999, when the Saints Digest or Saints Report (can't remember the exact name) site went down.  WhodatZone was a welcome relief - a site full of good people with a passion for the Saints.

I remember members like Holy Avenger, Saintsalive, Fetchmonster, Coach Largent, Ed, and many more.  It was engaging and fun.  You did a great job with all of it.

Thank you very much for all of your efforts.  It is very much appreciated.

Thanks for everything man. I can only speak for myself: I think there is nothing to apologize for. The site provided exactly what it should: A place for Saints discourse with civilized people, who know a thing or two about football. All the best to you and your future.

Thanks for everything David. 

This site has been a great outlet for the lowest of low times and to share in the absolute joy of winning a Super Bowl.

There is still a WhoDatZone facebook group - and while facebook isn't an ideal platform...it is a way some of us can still stay connected.

Maybe for the final time....I hate the Falcons.

louder, Saint ATN, nolaspe and 5 others like this

David, 

I'm sorry to hear that you'll be shutting down the site. It has definitely been a home for me. I wish you a lot of success in your future endeavors. And to everyone else, I've really enjoyed the dialogue, discussions, sense of community, having a place to curse the refs, agonize over too many defeats, and finally celebrate our súper bowl victory. Wishing everyone only blessings.

Ps. Morestead was worth the 5th rd pick

Saint ATN, Bonckers and nolaspe like this

David,

I first joined in 2000 and have felt truly at home the whole time.

I think it was Dr Suess who said, "Don't cry that it's over, smile that it happened." I will always smile whenever I think of this site and thank you for having created this wonderful refuge on the internet, and for having maintained it as long as you have.

Thanks again, and I wish you all the very best for the future.

Phil

Not sure when the end will come...and while I thanked David for the site in my post above...I have to say that I'm really going to miss you guys.

There is no better group to live chat a game with.

There are no more knowledgeable fans anywhere.

It's probably fitting to end now...it's the end of an era of Saints football with Drew Brees retiring.

But man...things just won't be the same without the WhoDatZone to come to after a game to celebrate or commiserate.

Again - thank you David for this site.  What you have created here has been such an integral part of my Saints experience...and I've been a fan since I was born...two days before the Saints kicked off their first season against the Rams in 1967.

If facebook is your thing, find your way to the WDZ family group.  Maybe that's our platform for game ball discussions and season predictions...mourning the losses and celebrating the wins.  And of course, hating the Falcons.

Much love to you all.  

There are several apps, we can use discord I have used it for video games to chat in the past. There is a couple of others as well. Discord is the only one I have ever used before. It is similar to the game chat in multiple people can be in it and it not ping as Facebook Messenger does. What say you all?

OzSaint, Saint ATN and nolaspe like this

1 hour ago, Bonckers said:

There are several apps, we can use discord I have used it for video games to chat in the past. There is a couple of others as well. Discord is the only one I have ever used before. It is similar to the game chat in multiple people can be in it and it not ping as Facebook Messenger does. What say you all?

I’m on board for joining a discord channel. 

OzSaint, nolaspe and Saint ATN like this

Wow, been away for a little while and see this.  It saddens me to see, but as others say, I hold no grudge against you for doing it, and completely understand.  As others have said, it will be weird not having this site to go to in football season.  It has been quite a ride for has to be about 20 years for me on this site since the old Saints Digest board shut down and many of us migrated over to hear.  I might pop in at Saints Report, but just never really enjoyed the "largeness" of that site.  We are small and a family here who have suffered through all sorts of emotions together, the fears of Katrina and panic until members checked in to the elation of joys over Super bowl 44.  We have celebrated marriages, child births and cried over passing members (Bill (Wildbill or was it Teribill?), Allan (Loudlung), Corky, Lee (Leeman), James (Jamster) and I know I'm forgetting a few others.  I will always feel blessed to have been a part of this site and have been able to turn "online" friends into in person friends meeting many of you for the first time in 2004 for the WhoDat Zone get together game against Carolina, celebrated the return of the city and the Saints on the Monday night game against the Falcons in 2006, met others at various away stadium games and even met a fellow WDZer halfway around the globe in Brisbane, Australia (Phil and his lovely family) for dinner.  I will truly miss all of you and hopefully will still keep up with some of you on Facebook.  Thanks for creating this place for us David, but just like everything, all good things must come to an end.  Love to all of you. 

Edited by Drew

David, you will always be my hero. Love you man for putting up this site with all those wonderful WhoDats. For the past 20 years this site felt like part of my own family. I understand your decision 100%. No regrets whatsoever! I wish you and every single one of you all the best of luck, fortune and health for the future. Stay healthy and keep the faith!  WHODAT! 

Bonckers, Saint ATN, nolaspe and 1 other like this

The inevitable has arrived. This is a gut punch but expected. I've joined the Discord channel and that will be easy for us to keep in contact and to chat during games. It's been an honor to be here. I tried to keep this tent open but due to life etc., it's been hard. I don't have the time to focus here as I have in the past and I apologize for that. I stand by David's decision and I can't thank you all for your time over the past decades. It's been an honor to know you all and to share so many unique life experiences together. Many of us have linked up on Facemelt and now we can continue to stay in touch better on the Discord platform. It's very secure and has a LOT of bells and whistles. We could even broadcast the local announcers as we watch sorta stuff. It's weird to say goodbye to an online family/forum that's been an integral part of my life but here we are. This site has helped me throughout many challenging parts of my life and many of y'all has helped motivate me, educate me, listen, talk, commiserate, relate, hate the falcons, love our team, take a journey we never expected. We went from has-beens in the league to finally get the Lombardi we were told we would never see. We turned spoiled to an extent by the recent regime up and down many hills. We expected to be in that number every year and we were competitive for the past decade-plus arriving here. The journey has enriched my life, my soul, my being. Saying goodbye here sucks and I'm quite emotional as I write this as it brings up many diverse emotions but I want to capture my feelings somewhat. 

You all made this site, you fed it, you gave it life, and what a life it was. We lost some great people along our journey and they have all become my family and each passing left this place a bit less lively. We had drama, we had bannings, we had a part of this site that ruined many a friendship and when I removed it, we lost even more. Regrets, there are a few, but those were learning experiences. We rallied together through the good, the bad, and the ugly 2011 season. We've been through the grinder of Katrina, scandals, coaches, players, and seasons. This site made it possible, you however made it family. I've met many of you here and I look forward to meeting more of you in person in time. This includes you David E. 

Fare thee well all, much love, mad respect, and may the road always rise to meet you wherever you are in life. 

WHO DAT!

boricko, Bonckers, Boogie and 8 others like this

Well put ATN! I will definitely miss all of you, and hope we can keep in touch even if just through discord or another app someway. 

nolaspe likes this