Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nolaspe

The Saints 2021 draft is in the books...

12 posts in this topic

And here are the players they selected... overall thoughts? I'm not really familiar w/ any of these guys, but some areas of need were addressed, LB, CB, and OL. But, did we reach with a few of the selections? ATN, I know how much you hate ND, but one of my close friends who loves ND and the Saints is geeking out about the Ian Book pick. Also, it seems that SP got his yearly Ohio State heroin fix lol... 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/01/saints-draft-picks-2021-full-list-of-new-orleans-draft-picks-order-for-every-round/

New Orleans Saints 2021 NFL Draft Picks:

• Round 1, pick 28 – Payton Turner, DE, Houston
  • Round 2, pick 60 – Pete Werner, LB, Ohio State
  • Round 3, pick 76 – Paulson Adebo, CB, Stanford
  • Round 4, pick 133 – Ian Book, QB, Notre Dame
  • Round 6: No. 206 – Landon Young, OT, Kentucky
  • Round 7, pick 255 – Kawaan Baker, WR, South Alabama

I hate OLOPS.  I hope he leaves the suckage behind.  He's in black and gold now and I'll root for him as long as he wears the fleur-de-lis.  

I don't know anything about these guys.  I'll reserve my opinion until we see these guys on the field.

I think the Book pick will allow Taysom to be Taysom without having to worry about losing our backup QB.  I feel WInston will be the opening day starter.

Bonckers, Slidell Saint and nolaspe like this

58 minutes ago, dtgSaintsFan said:

I hate OLOPS.  I hope he leaves the suckage behind.  He's in black and gold now and I'll root for him as long as he wears the fleur-de-lis.  

I don't know anything about these guys.  I'll reserve my opinion until we see these guys on the field.

I think the Book pick will allow Taysom to be Taysom without having to worry about losing our backup QB.  I feel WInston will be the opening day starter.

I met Courtney Watson's dad at the Saints "home game" in the meadowlands in 2005 and was joking with him that his son was the only player from Notre Dame that I would cheer for, but he got me back because I forgot John Carney was from there as well.  

nolaspe and Slidell Saint like this

I have absolutely no clue on this draft.    Most of the "expert analysts" didn't like it, but that doesn't mean anything..   It is interesting in that we lost our Front Office Personnel guy Fontenot to the Panthers, and it seems like they had a pretty good draft, of course they were picking much higher.     Most of these guys have red flags, so the Saint are really rolling the dice on their RAS scores.     It would be nice to a few contributing players out of it at LB, DE and CB.

nolaspe likes this

I didn’t like this draft.  We ignored the WR position again, in a draft deep with WR talent. And we reached with our first 2 picks.  That Turner pick is a real head scratcher.  A rotational player, when immediate impact starters were available.  Both Elijah Moore or Christian Barmore would have been better picks, IMO.  And better value.   I don’t like the Book pick either - No impact this year and a long shot to become a starter.  Trevor Simien is a phone call away for the 3rd QB spot.  There were still good players on the board in the fourth round.  
Disappointing. 

Slidell Saint likes this

I will trust Ireland, Loomis, and Payton as they have proven me wrong in the past. The only one I knew of was Werner that we drafted. I like that we usually go with BPA. I listened to a podcast that Nick Underhill did that really made me rethink BPA. He said no one usually does a true BPA, not even the Saints. He said look at this way the end of the first round is coming to an end, we have the 28th pick if a guard is the true BPA, and a DL is graded just below him they take the DL. But you pass on the CB that is a handful of spots down. When you reach for the CB he may be available the next round, or you may pass on the next coming of Cam Jordan because you reached for a corner who is a good number 2 corner. I would take Cam Jordan again over Tracy Porter every draft.

Payton said anyone with a medical grade they took off their draft boards which I think affected how we drafted this year. With no way of doing visits and not a normal combine medical check it made it hard to not impossible to know the future of those players. That was a smart move. If we trade up for Farely and he turns into the second coming of Jarius Byrd how pissed would we all be? I am glad they took a calculated less aggressive approach this draft is the most cloudy I can ever remember of. So many players played short or no seasons. No Combine numbers for a baseline on athletic abilities. 

The rumor mill was we were trying to get in the top 10 for one of the two CB's we wanted (Surtain and Horn), and the price was too steep requiring two picks next year including the first. I like that they did not force in such a weird draft year. I would have loved Horn or Surtain. Shoot Dallas wanted one of them and they were gone when they were suppsoed to pick at 10 that is why they traded down. Outside of those two none of the corners looked to be NFL-ready this year. With no minicamps or Voluntary workouts (the NFLPA released a statement saying our players would not attend voluntary workouts), this was the safest wisest move in this draft. I cannot say any of the players we took will work out, but doing research all the players we took have GREAT measurables. Most had very productive last full seasons. I think the lack of outer conference play hurt the tape and growth of all college players outside of the SEC, and maybe one or two other conferences. This draft has a chance to be really bad up top due to the crazy year 2021 was and the lack of game and intel on the players coming into it. Yes, Turner on paper looks like a Davenport clone, but the Saints writers people who actually study tape say he is not nearly as raw as Davenport so I will withhold judgment. BTW Most of Nick Underhill's podcasts are free only the two he did on draft nights are not, and he is a great writer. I love his breakdowns. If you can afford it I recommend a subscription. 

2 hours ago, Bonckers said:

" I would take Cam Jordan again over Tracy Porter every draft."

I would always take Tracy Porter, his two interceptions helped win us a Super Bowl!😂

Edited by Boris
Uptownsaint and Bonckers like this

Weird year, weird draft.  I don't think any team was able to get a typical full view of all the players, so I really doubt anything coming from the talking heads.  Teams don't just put out misinformation on QB's, but I just look at SF/Jones saga vs the truth and realize these talking heads know very little.

I feel the Saints took their type of players and I trust their track record.  With the Saints being a talented, more experienced team and drafting late; it's not like a lot of rookies will make the team.  I would have been fine if they had traded every pic for 1 or 2 players. Actually, if they had traded all their draft pics for one of the top 2 CB's, I would have said 'good enough'. (just because so much unknown this year)

Bonckers and herb like this

I dont think the Saints draft haul this year, is half that bad the "experts" what's to make us believe.

I think that, except for I. Book, the rest of the picks will make the team. WR and CB will have impact next season, already. 

herb and faceman like this

I honestly appreciate that the Saints almost always do not do what draft experts expect/predict.

The Saints invest capital in researching players that fit their "algorithm" (for lack of a better term) of what they feel makes a great player.

Despite what analysts say (what seems like almost every year) that the Saints could have drafted better, we are witness year after year of players the Saints drafted either getting scooped up almost immediately by other teams when we release players due to mandatory roster cuts before each season or via free agency after each season.

SI graded the Alvin Kamara pick a "C" at the time he was drafted in 2017. Remember that.

Speaking of algorithms:

Oh, wait...that's an Al Gore rythm.

Bonckers likes this