Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boris

The Gang that couldn’t shoot straight!

22 posts in this topic

It is hard to believe the Pelicans have fielded a team that cannot shoot.  Other than Zion and Ingram (who is inconsistent and mostly disappears when the game is one the line), the Pelicans have no one who can shoot.  Bledsoe is horrible.. Ball has improved but erratic .... Hart is inconsistent and now injured.. along with Alexander-Walker.. kind of odd for a professional basketball team. 

Watching the Pelicans is a thing of futility.  Never saw a team play so erratically.. and find ways to lose.   They try to attribute it to inexperience and that may be true to a certain extent, but they just play dumb.   I like Stan Van Gundy, but they probably will need a coaching change. You have to blame someone and the coach is normally the one.  Too many meltdowns. 

It's just maddening to watch.  Back to back OT losses blown in the final few minutes of regulation.  This team does not deserve postseason.  Stupid turnovers.  Basketball IQ in the final few minutes of games is negative.  Seems like the final few minutes they quit playing team ball and let BI isolate and brick another 3.  It's not all on BI, but that's a big part of it.  Zion has his faults too.  He needs to improve his free throws and ball handling.  Bledsoe can be good, but disappears so often.  Ball?  I cringe every time he shoots.

How about Bledsoe's comment after the game when asked about not fouling in the last few seconds of regulation (we were up by 3, would have put them at the line for 2 shots)?

Here's the tweet where he admitted he was not paying attention.  Literally just seconds left and you lose focus???  This team makes me drink.

This franchise is once again blowing an extraordinary opportunity with yet another generational talent in Zion.  First Chris Paul.  Then Anthony Davis.  Now this.

I just don't get how we fail over and over to surround these guys with decent players.  

What the hell?

Bonckers likes this

I saw that the Pelicans had a 108-70 lead to start the 4th quarter against the Magic tonight.  I texted a few friends that I hoped we could hold on for the win.  To my great surprise, they did.  

Bonckers likes this

They won that one, but in true Pelicans fashion, they could not beat the Spurs on Saturday night.  

There is something missing with this team.  I hope Griffin can use some of that draft capital he's built up to acquire some talent to put around Zion and Ingram.  

Because the current roster isn't getting it done.  Yes - the young players need a little more seasoning and I think  Kira Lewis, Nickeil Alexander-Walker and Jackson Hayes have a lot of potential.  But we whiffed completely on the Jrue Holiday trade if all we got back were Bledsoe and Adams (by trading a pick from the Bucks to OKC for him).  I like Adams...but man...he's a one dimensional player.  He can box out and rebound but he can't move to create space and he can't shoot worth a damn.  Bledsoe has been absolutely terrible.  We might have to add draft picks just to get someone to take him off our hands!

Bonckers likes this

So how does tonight's game against the Clippers go?  I'll guess Zion gets 31, Ingram 24.  Ball has 7 turnovers.  Bledsoe has 6 points and 5 turnovers.  Adams 4 points and 12 rebounds.  And Pelicans lose by 20.

Either that or a close game they choke away in the final 2 minutes.

6 hours ago, dtgSaintsFan said:

So how does tonight's game against the Clippers go?  I'll guess Zion gets 31, Ingram 24.  Ball has 7 turnovers.  Bledsoe has 6 points and 5 turnovers.  Adams 4 points and 12 rebounds.  And Pelicans lose by 20.

Either that or a close game they choke away in the final 2 minutes.

Looking to be a close game they choke away at the end. Or they win it to keep stringing us along, only to get blown out to the next Ho Hum team they play.

2 hours ago, Slidell Saint said:

Looking to be a close game they choke away at the end. Or they win it to keep stringing us along, only to get blown out to the next Ho Hum team they play.

Boy was I wrong.  I'm re-using this prediction for the next game.  The Pelicans are 4 games out with 13 or 14 to go.  They're done.

Its unbelievable that the Pelicans actually pulled out a game they were destined to lose..       I don't think this team is going anywhere, even though they are 3 games out of 10th,  with 2 games vs the Warriors this week. 

Here will be there chance..... I almost think it would be better for them to be in the lottery.

Another great shooting night for Lonzo.  I think he was something like 3-17.  I know he started 0-8.  He was just terrible.  Couldn't find the ocean from the beach.  He blew at least 3 alley oops to Zion not to mention several turnovers.  It's not all on Lonzo.  Bledsoe sucked too.  And Van Gundy should have yanked Ball.  Total diddly-poo show.

The only positive to take from this game is that there are only 7 more games to suffer through.  I really hope Ball is let go at the end of the season.  And Bledsoe.  This teams desperately needs some shooters.

I know it's the Warriors - but these are not the Warriors that won those string of championships.  They are still dangerous, but beatable.  And they are the team we are *supposedly* gunning for in the playoff race.  The Warriors and the Spurs.  And both of those teams handed us pretty definitive losses recently.

So it's not a stretch to say we are done.  Get to the offseason...the lottery.  Re-think this roster and go get players to build around Zion with.  

Of course, I'm still concerned - we should have traded Lonzo before the deadline to salvage something for him.  As it is now we either let him walk for nothing in free agency or we match whatever offer he gets....and I think that will hamstring our ability to add talent around Zion.  Lonzo is not a bad player...and at the right price I like him on the team.  But he's streaky.  And if another team is going to throw a boatload of money at him, we have to let him walk...for nothing...when we could have gotten something a month or two ago.

Frustrating.

15 hours ago, dtgSaintsFan said:

It's possible that nobody was willing to give us anything for Lonzo either.  I have no idea what trades were available and what were not.

That's true.  I am assuming that he had some trade value.  Very possible that anyone who wanted him is just willing to wait until free agency.

Lonzo was awful on Monday.  Then he had a great game on Tuesday.  He's so inconsistent.  I didn't see it but he had 30+ and was the leading scorer.

1 hour ago, dtgSaintsFan said:

Lonzo was awful on Monday.  Then he had a great game on Tuesday.  He's so inconsistent.  I didn't see it but he had 30+ and was the leading scorer.

We watched both games.  As bad as he was on Monday that's how good he was Tuesday.  You said it - inconsistent.  It's the same problem everyone on this roster other than Zion is having this year.  They will look like a contender one night and get blown out by a mediocre team the next.  There's no pattern.

This team is like Forest Gump's box of chocolates...you never know what you are going to get.

dtgSaintsFan likes this

6 hours ago, Slidell Saint said:

This team is like Forest Gump's box of chocolates...you never know what you are going to get.

You win the internet today!

Don't get me wrong, Ingram is a good player, but I actually think our chances improved to win the Warriors game with him out at the end.  Instead of dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, then brick... the team actually had to step up and play as a team.     Ingram tends to disappear at the end of games, hold on to the ball, miss free throws.  Hopefully, he will improve but I don't feel he has the killer instinct.   I don't know if that is something you can teach or actually develop... experience helps.  Maybe I am wrong.   With  Zion, he has that fire in his belly... you saw him step up and hit those free throws when the game was on the line.  Zion has turned the ball over at the end of games, being double and triple teamed, bu the will learn and get an outside shot that will make a difference.

Ball is hot and cold, but one thing about him is that he has shown improvement from one year to the next, and I expect he will continue to improve.  He plays good defense.  He was the difference in the last two wins, and the one loss.    We need more outside shooters.  

In general, this team isn't going anywhere in the playoffs, but I would like to see them make it just to get Zion a taste of it, and keep him engaged as a Pelican.  Like other players, Paul and Davis, he will eventually get tired of losing.   Zion has a Chris Paul mentality... I always thought Anthony Davis wasn't a leader.. he is in the right place with LeBron, I just didn't like how he got there at the fans expense.    At the end of the day, there is no team loyalty in the NBA.. players will go wherever they feel they have the best chance to win a trophy.....

Slidell Saint likes this