Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dtgSaintsFan

Owners Approve 17 Game Schedule

5 posts in this topic

The owners have approved a 17 game schedule starting next season.  3 preseason games, 17 regular season games.  Only 1 bye week.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31166690/nfl-owners-approve-17-game-season-2021

The 17th game is a 5th non-conference game.  This season, AFC teams will get a 9th home game.  NFC teams get the extra home game next season.  

The extra game is against the team that finished in the same division position last year from the division teams played 2 years ago.  So, the Saints won the NFC South last season, meaning we play the first play team from last season in the AFC division we played 2 seasons ago.  We played the AFC South 2 seasons ago (2019), and the Titans won it in 2020, so our extra game is at Tennessee.

There is also some stuff about international games, which I am not a fan of.

I'm torn.  On one hand, I love the idea of an extra game.  But on the other, it is another opportunity to lose key players before the playoffs.

Bonckers likes this

The fan in me likes the idea of another weekend of real football and a reduction of the BS preseason games.

But I liked the 16 game season.  It just made sense.  It felt right.  It fit in the fall calendar really well.  

And I'm worried about injuries.  17 games will take a toll on the players.

WhoDatinH-town likes this

Yeah, we want more football. My bolt prediction is, that this will hurt the NFL in the long run. The quality of the product will suffer. Injuries and severe medical conditions will increase. I think if they want to inflate the season, more bye weeks would be the way to go. By this, you dont generate more games, but more weeks, during which NFL football is in the media, and that's what counts today. But since I asume, that most of the owners are greedy rich dudes, I guess they want to squeez out every cent. 

Edited by boricko
Bonckers, QFisher and Slidell Saint like this

The players will get an extra paycheck out of it. I think they should add an 18th game, another bye week, and increase the roster size along with adjusting the PS. More money all around, the players get an added rest period, and more players available to relieve the starters.

Bonckers, boricko and Drew like this