Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blkngld

Russell Wilson

12 posts in this topic

There are reports all over the internet about Russell Wilson putting the Saints as his number one spot if traded?

Thoughts?

I think Wilson would be an awesome addition to the Saints.  But I don't see how the Saints could do it.  I'm sure the asking price is astronomical.  I think Wilson is better than Stafford and the lines got a ton for Stafford.  And then there are the cap issues the Saints have.

I read a few rumors on what the Seahawks would want. Word is they want O line, LB, and DB help as well as picks. Some are saying the Saints would be willing to move Peat, but that they are maybe asking for Lattimore. Personally, I am fine with the Saints moving any 1 of the three interior linemen some are saying that the Seahawks Covet McCoy. I would prefer to keep him followed Ruiz, than Peat in that order. I saw one rumor that said 2021 2nd rounder, peat, 2022 1st rounder, and 2023 2nd rounder for Wilson. I could honestly live with that trade, but I think they would want another player or another first-round pick. If we trade any of the linemen on the inside like they are looking for we need to keep the first or a 2nd this year hoping to replace them. I doubt Wilson can be got for Peat with three picks only being 1 1st, and 2 2nds. Keep in mind future picks are considered to be one less round in quality by GM's in the NFL. So it would be a (2) 2nds, and a 3rd basically. Doesn't seem like a fair trade for a player not demanding a trade. 

The other concern I had was his style of play. I think Wilson is a phenomenal talent still in his prime, but he likes to extend plays. We run a variation of the west coast that needs timing and precise throws. I am not sure our current offense fits his style of play. We can change our [playbook, but Thomas is so good because he works off of timing and precise routes. Not sure he is as effective with a scrambler. JMO. Realistically that would be a small problem if we did get Wilson that could be worked out, either with a playbook change or adding other pieces around Wilson. I love MT, but he may be part of this trade if it happens. I would is not willing to trade Lattimore. I honestly feel he is the most important part of our defense. I cannot remember us ever having as dominant CB on the roster when in tune. Yes, Jabari Greer and Mike Mckenzie were good, but they did not have the talent that Lattimore has. 

Take it for what it's worth, but my friend who joined my lil bro from my fraternity and me for dinner (since he owns the restaurant lol, great place uptown NOLA called Union Ramen, but I digress), has been doing on-field stuff with the Saints for years, like helping get people situated for where they need to be i.e. getting bands lined up before half time, etc.

Anyway, he told us that his friend in the organization mentioned that if the team would look to go after Russ, it would probably take our 1sts this yr and next with T. Hill and likely Latt as well. Like I said, it's what he told me, so who knows what the team would be willing to do, but hey, we know that SP is open to shedding draft pics like a sheep on trim day if presented with shiny objects that fit his fancy, and Russ is basically Brees 2.0 with more mobility lol. 

Bonckers and Slidell Saint like this

Yeah, I hear you, my concern is replacing Lattimore would be really difficult. Losing just two first-round picks would not be a deal-breaker for me though. We invested that into Davenport, and with little production, it hasn't hurt the team. 

From what I understand, his contract contains a no-trade-clause. If that is correct, Seahawks cant just command any price. Given that, one 1st rounder (this year ür next) + Lattimore should do it. I would also hate to lose Lattimore, on the other hand, his contract counts 10mil. towards the cap this season. So, if that was the deal: One 1st rounder + Lattimore, I would say: go for it.

Edited by boricko

Well JJ Watt just signed with the Cardinals. His biggest complaint is being hit too often, and one of the division rivals just added a huge defensive line piece. The funny thing to me is the teams who have invested heavily recently in their O lines are on this list with the exception of the Bears. They have the weakest O-line of the group. Rumor is the Cowboys backed out of the discussion. Honestly, I think it is down to us and the Raiders IF it happens. I still feel there is an above-average chance he stays in Seattle. 

13 hours ago, The X-Man said:

Well, considering I believe J. Winston is the answer, I hope we do not pull the trigger and give up the farm for Russell Wilson.

I feel this is exactly what happens. I feel Winston is resigned, Payton allows Winston and Taysom to battle for the job. I believe Payton and the team expect Winston to win the job, and Taysom to stay the gadget player he is, and he will leave next offseason for a chance to start elsewhere. Payton will need to keep Jameis on a tight leash. Jimbo Fisher did that at FSU, and that is why he was so successful there. Not to mention Holmgren did that with Favre too he would reign him in when it needed to happen. I see a very similar style of play between the two with Favre having the better arm. Not saying he will ever be Favre, but I don't think any of us would complain if he is our QB and turns into that. 

faceman likes this

Wilson is one of the few players I would be willing to give up a fortune to acquire. QBs like Wilson are few and far between : a great player and person.  He is a Drew Brees type individual.. a championship caliber QB who is exciting to watch and keeps you in any game , and a great role model.

I’d be willing to give up a lot, maybe MT or Lattimore (if he is asking for too much) , definitely Peat, two no 1s.   

But I don’t think it’s going to happen.  I’m not even sure Brees will retire.

Bonckers likes this