Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nolaspe

Strief rejoining Saints...

4 posts in this topic

As an OL coach...

https://www.wwltv.com/article/sports/nfl/saints/zach-strief-leaving-wwl-radio-to-rejoin-the-saints-as-o-line-coach/289-fcb363a2-7741-46b8-9917-d145647dc54b?fbclid=IwAR0jOKHl-XakR6mfUUN4HAanVJbr83-LMpGrY27evI73q8m1W8TCnRUyQ90

NEW ORLEANS — Zach Strief, the former Saints offensive lineman who was part of the best season in team history, is leaving his job as the Saints play-by-play man with WWL Radio to return to the team as a coach.

Strief is set to become the Saints assistant offensive line coach this season, according to WWL Radio, ending his 3-year stint as "The Voice of the Saints."

"It was every bit as exciting and challenging as I thought it would be," Strief said on WWL Radio. "It was my deep love of the Saints organization that pushed me into this job, and it’s that same love that is sending me back."

Strief worked with former Saints running back Deuce McAllister, who remains on as a color commentator. 

Strief was selected by the Saints in the seventh round of the 2006 draft and backed up Jon Stinchcomb for five years before taking over the job for eight years.

"The opportunity to help the Saints bring another World Championship is just too great for me to pass up.  It’s time for me to go home," Strief said.

WWL Radio has begun their search for the next play-by-play commentator.

Edited by nolaspe

I am happy to see this. I always thought of him as more a technician and smarter player than physically gifted. To me, that translates to a great coach. Nick Underhill wrote a great piece on how Strief after every training camp practice would pull a younger player aside and give him pointers after practice, and how this will allow him to work real-time with players, and help the o line grow. They expect a few of the coaching positions to be filled internally. Like the assistant O line, coach will probably move to TE's, and the RB coach will shift to WB coach. I really like this move. 

On 2/20/2021 at 1:21 PM, Bonckers said:

I am happy to see this. I always thought of him as more a technician and smarter player than physically gifted. To me, that translates to a great coach. Nick Underhill wrote a great piece on how Strief after every training camp practice would pull a younger player aside and give him pointers after practice, and how this will allow him to work real-time with players, and help the o line grow. They expect a few of the coaching positions to be filled internally. Like the assistant O line, coach will probably move to TE's, and the RB coach will shift to WB coach. I really like this move. 

I agree with you thinking.  Typically speaking, anyone that is drafted in the later rounds and has a long career, is making it due to technique over skill because if they had a superior skillset they normally would have been drafted earlier.  I will leave work ethic out of it because in my opinion, a superior work ethic is required by any player to make it in the NFL.  However, the technique over skillset is not the lone character of a great coach, they also need to have that ability to want to mentor someone which as you pointed out, was something he consistently did.  It does have all the signs of pointing to him becoming an excellent coach.   

Bonckers likes this