Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dtgSaintsFan

N/S Matt Stafford traded to Rams

11 posts in this topic

Wow!

I am surprised I am starting this topic.

The Lions are trading Matthew Stafford to the Rams for Jared Goff, a 2021 3rd round pick, and 2022 and 2023 1st round picks.  While I think Stafford is better than Goff, that sounds like a lot to give up for Stafford.

I really hope it blows up for the Rams.  It would give me thrills to see the Lions be better than the Rams for the next several years.  Yes, I'm still bitter.

nolaspe likes this

The reason it cost so much was because of Goff's contract. It was like when the Texans traded a first-rounder to the Dolphins to take Brock Osweiler's contract off of them. Goff was way overpaid, and this gives the Lions a starter so they don't have to draft a QB this year or the next two while also building their draft capital. This was a great move for the Lions but sets up the Rams to falter in the next 2-3 years. You cannot build your team on just veterans the cap makes that impossible you need those 5th-year option 1st rounders to sustain your talent levels. The Rams may be good for another year or two, but this is not a recipe for long term success. 

nolaspe likes this

I think he has a fantastic arm, but the complaint I have heard is he is not a vocal leader. I can't say I know enough about an NFL locker room to know if the QB has to be for the team to be competitive. I remember him finishing a game against the Browns a few years ago with a dislocated shoulder in his non-throwing arm. I wish him luck unless he plays us. At least he got out, unlike Barry and Calvin. 

nolaspe likes this

Rams got taken to the woodshed in this trade. Re: Watson, my buddy in Houston told me that he has a no-trade clause in his contract, so he dictates where he'll end up, but I agree, his price blew up after the Stafford trade.

Bonckers likes this

I only see two places for Watson to go, Jets or Dolphins. I think they are the only ones with enough capital to pull it off. One possible proposal I heard on the radio today is that the Dolphins could offer 3 1st's, 2 2nd's, and Tua, and still survive/thrive. Although I know Watson really wants to go to the Jets, if the Dolphins make that offer, I'm betting the Texans would be listening. 

I agree, both teams are a mess right now. I wouldn't want to go there, I will say I think the Jets may be heading in the right direction, an the Giants played hard even with a lot of people out with injuries. I hope the Giants continue the right path, an the Jets can get it going. Poor Jets fans have been waiting for a compentent team for a while. Rex Ryans teams were talented, but undisciplined. 

On 2/2/2021 at 4:21 PM, nolaspe said:

Why would anyone want to go to the Jets besides the lure of NYC...

Marketing offers. If you become a star in NY, The world is at your heels. See Joe Namath and Reggie Jackson  

Bonckers likes this