Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WhoDatinH-town

N/S what a mess the Texans are

16 posts in this topic

People in Houston are so mad at the team. It looks like they're really ticked off their star qb. Watson is a great qb who isn't a diva. If the rumors are true that he wants to be traded, I would love him in black and gold. I don't know if we have enough ammo to get him, but we can always dream.

Bonckers likes this

9 hours ago, Drew said:

First off, I would love to see Brees play one more season especially considering how bad his last game was if this is it.  However, if he does retire, I would be like a pig in sh!! if the Saints were able to get Watson.  

Getting Watson would be a challenge...but it's seeming more and more like he wants out of Houston.  We have enormous cap issues next year and will have our own guys to take care of.  But if anyone can create cap space for an acquisition like this it's Loomis.  The question is what is the asking price.  What will Houston want for DeShaun Watson?  This won't be a Brees acquisition where he's considered damaged goods and is ours for the taking.  After letting DeAndre Hopkins go for a ham sammich last year, the Texans won't make that same mistake again.

I would say with where we will be picking as well as the players we have to extend it may cost more than we are willing to spend. Realistically it would probably cost MT and a slew of picks. I feel signing Jameis for mid-range starter money would be the smarter move. As giving up all that capital and paying Watson his current contract would be almost impossible to be competitive for the next 2-4 years. 

3 minutes ago, Bonckers said:

I would say with where we will be picking as well as the players we have to extend it may cost more than we are willing to spend. Realistically it would probably cost MT and a slew of picks. I feel signing Jameis for mid-range starter money would be the smarter move. As giving up all that capital and paying Watson his current contract would be almost impossible to be competitive for the next 2-4 years. 

I'm not against Winston getting the opportunity at all.  In fact, his talent intrigues me.  I loved the play call yesterday - comes in cold off the bench and rifles that ball for a strike downfield for the score.  (Yeah...yeah...to a wide open TreQuan Smith...still...it was a great throw.)  I'd love to see what Sean Payton can do with him when he's building an offense around him.

My biggest fear...probably everyone's...is turnovers.  Can Sean Payton instill some patience and discipline in him to cut down on the INTs?  Recall that young Drew Brees had a knack for throwing INTs as well.  Yet those numbers fell over the years under Sean Payton.  

If it were Winston, I'd hope it was for a cap-friendly, incentive-laden contract at first.

Bonckers likes this

Just now, Slidell Saint said:

I'm not against Winston getting the opportunity at all.  In fact, his talent intrigues me.  I loved the play call yesterday - comes in cold off the bench and rifles that ball for a strike downfield for the score.  (Yeah...yeah...to a wide open TreQuan Smith...still...it was a great throw.)  I'd love to see what Sean Payton can do with him when he's building an offense around him.

My biggest fear...probably everyone's...is turnovers.  Can Sean Payton instill some patience and discipline in him to cut down on the INTs?  Recall that young Drew Brees had a knack for throwing INTs as well.  Yet those numbers fell over the years under Sean Payton.  

If it were Winston, I'd hope it was for a cap-friendly, incentive-laden contract at first.

In total agreeance SS I would not mind it all. I even said in another thread I could see a 3 year deal with before incentives in the 15-20 million (total) range with incentives based on performance and post-season play. But either way, I want an open competition this offseason between all QB's on the roster. I love TH, but I am not sold he can do it all season, and his college injury history is scary. 

I am not sold on Taysom either.  He just doesn't have the pocket presence which leads to most of the other issues.  Winston scares me because of the turnovers, but Payton is good with quarterbacks.  If I remember correctly, he made Quincy Carter not total diddly-poo in Dallas, and that's saying something.

I guess we're drafting 28th.  I wonder if any of the QB prospects are expected to drop that far.

Bonckers likes this

I fully expect us to take a lineman on either side at this position. Usually the safest position at that point in the draft, but with having three 3rd round pick I could see us moving around in the draft. 

We probably have next years QB starter on the squad now, but I don't think we have our franchise QB yet. I'll bet we make a move in the 2nd round and pick up a "potential" franchise in the draft.

It looks like the Panties are trying to make a run at Watson. The dude is super talented, but the cost it would take to get him I believe would crumble any team. They want multiple picks and two starters out of it. Would probably take MCC and three firsts for Carolina to pull him. That would kill depth, and they already have a weak o line. Carolina did make a run at getting Stafford. Even offering their first this year in the process. 

Denver supposedly wants to make a run for him as well. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/20/panthers-clearing-cap-space-want-to-make-a-run-at-deshaun-watson/Scoop

Panthers clearing cap space, want to make a run at Deshaun Watson

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 20, 2021, 7:51 AM EST

The Panthers have cut several players this month, creating some cap space that they’d love to spend on Deshaun Watson.

Carolina’s moves in the last week have cleared nearly $20 million in cap space, which would be enough to absorb Watson’s 2021 cap hit, and the Panthers plan to make a run at Watson if the Texans make him available in a trade, David Newton of ESPN reports. (That is an actual report, although ESPN has given it less attention than the “bold prediction” that the Panthers’ offer would be Christian McCaffrey and three first-round draft picks.)

The phrasing of the report — the Panthers will make a run at Watson if the Texans make him available — is almost identical to a previous report that the Broncos will make an offer for Watson if the Texans make him available. That suggests that multiple teams are waiting around for the Texans to say Watson is on the trading block, and then they’ll pull the trigger on a big offer when and if the Texans give them the go-ahead.

But if you want Watson and think you can make a credible offer for him, why wait? Why not call the Texans now and let them know you’re willing to part with a significant number of draft picks and/or players to get Watson? The worst the Texans can tell you is no. In a best-case scenario, it may begin the process of your team acquiring one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL.

Watson wants to be traded, and the Texans are saying publicly that they won’t trade him. But there’s likely some trade package good enough that the Texans would make the move. Teams like the Broncos and Panthers appear ready to make those offers.

Wow! So it is possible that the Saints' QB, regardless of who he is, will be the 4th-best QB in the division. 

One time in history, the Falcons led the Super Bowl 28-3. They blew that lead. Let's make that 3rd-best QB. 

Bonckers likes this

Mike D. is on WWL radio several times a week. He said it will take 3 first rounders and a player to acquire . Jackson. The Jets are the team with that kind of ammo. 

QB is the one position that you can not win without.  Even in the years when an average QB won the Super Bowl, they had good years with the lone exception I can think of was Peyton Manning's Super Bowl with Denver.  Seeing how many of the recent high pick QBs have not been good enough, giving up picks for a player with a known superior ability could be looked at as a safer, more conservative move than the risk of hoping you can get one in the draft or other means.  Other positions tend to be easier to obtain through other means.  Basically, if it were my team to build and I didn't have a great QB, I would do almost anything I could to get the QB, especailly a young one like Watson, and then I could build the rest of the team around him.  Even if it takes a few years because great QBs are typically on a team for more than enough years to recover from the lost picks. 

Bonckers likes this

I agree Drew. Honestly, the only reason we got Drew was that no one else wanted him he has was coming off an injury. Think of the QB's we had before him. I honestly feel trading players the only two off the list that can be had are Kamara, Ram, Lattimore, and Demario Davis. I would open the table for anyone to be traded. Some would be hard to replace, but not impossible. Davis is a very talented player who will be the vocal leader after Drew which is why I added him to the other young talent that needs to stay. When it comes to Wilson or Watson it will take players and picks if the Saints can do it. Other teams have high enough picks, but we do not draft high enough which is why I think it will take players.