Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boris

Saints Chances with Winston and Hill

15 posts in this topic

So 15 years with Brees, missing only 1 game prior to 2019, and now for the second year in a row, he is going to miss a group of games. 

Last year Bridgewater replaces him, a QB a lot like Drew. This year we have Winston, a very talented athlete, but a totally different style. This will be a huge test of Coach Payton’s ability to adapt.  You have to figure that Payton has been thinking about this ever since the Saints signed Winston. 

I think that Winston can excel in a Payton offense if he can be coached to limit mistakes and make quicker decisions with his throws.  My impression of Winston is that he is slow to find his options and maybe doesn’t look off defenders, takes a lot of sacks, or makes desperate throws.  Can Payton coach him into being a better QB?

And then there is Taysom Hill, a total unknown as an every down QB, a starter in the NFL.  Hill probably knows the offense better, but is he ready to start? One thing is certain, I don’t see Hill continuing to play special teams or the Swiss Army knife role, now being either the starter or primary backup.  I think Payton continues to use him as a spot QB in situations, with the more experienced Winston as the starter.  The Saints have a contending team, and they are going to make an experiment at this stage.  

It should be an interesting time for the Saints.  Are we seeing the auditions for the QB role after Drew?  I would think so.   Do the Saint bring in another QB as insurance? They must at least have a short list. 

I think the Saints have done well to have solid backups the past 3 years, particularly with an aging QB.  That we can be thankful.  

Saint ATN likes this

Last night, they show a chart, comparing Drew's numbers vs. Jameis' numbers in the first 4 years of their respective careers. It was funny, because they were so similar.

All I can say: If all the praise from Drew and Payton, about Jameis' smartness and work ethic, is not just motivational speech, we will be fine. Question is: what do we do, if Drew needs until the playoffs to get back, while Jameis wins out.

In regards of Hill: He will have to become a real No 2 now, since we need a back up QB.

Edited by boricko
Saint ATN likes this

Looks like Taysom may be starting or Payton is playing his games again. I honestly just hope he is playing games not that I don't want Taysom to start.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/20/multiple-reports-now-say-taysom-hill-will-start/

Multiple reports now say Taysom Hill will start

Posted by Mike Florio on November 20, 2020, 10:38 AM EST

The depth chart apparently will control, after all.

In the wake of Ian Rapoport’s hedge that, despite earlier reporting that Jameis Winston will be used in heavy doses on Sunday against the Falcons, multiple reports have more clearly pointed to Taysom Hill serving as the starter for the Saints on Sunday.

Adam Schefter of ESPN.com has provided the clearest indication that it will be Hill, not Winston. Schefter’s report also seems to close the door on the possibility of job sharing; he tweets that Hill will start, that Hill took all the starter reps in practice, and that Winston will be the backup.

As noted earlier this week, it makes sense based on the depth chart. Last year, Teddy Bridgewater was the No. 2 quarterback. Thus, when Drew Brees was injured, Bridgewater took over. This year, Hill is No. 2. The time-honored principle of “next man up” points to him.

Others who had been silent about the situation are now chiming in that we should have known all along that Hill would be the guy, given that the team gave Hill $16 million on a two-year deal. It’s easy to say that now. Few in the media were saying it earlier this week, before anyone was reporting that Hill would start.

Our best educated guess continues to be that, even if (as it appears) Hill will start, both will play. Ultimately, the flow of the game and other factors (like, for example, which guy plays better) will determine who ends up with most of the reps.

It ultimately could be no different than using multiple tailbacks. Both get a chance, and the coach eventually rides with the hot hand. That’s quite possibly what will happen on Sunday, even though the Saints would like to keep that quiet for as long as possible.

Indeed, if the Falcons now accept as true the notion that Hill will be the wire-to-wire quarterback, the Falcons will focus the balance of their preparation on Hill, and perhaps they’ll be less prepared when Winston enters the game.

Saint ATN likes this

At first I was surprised that Payton is choosing Taysom Hill to start.   Then I thought, well, it really doesn't matter which player starts, as Payton said he would use both.  But then I read where Hill is the starter and that Winston will only play in a backup role.  Winston being a 5 year starter, I thought he would be the primary. 

But then I realized that it made sense for Hill to get a chance.  First, he has been with the team 4 years, and he knows the offense.  He also has been having to learn so many positions, he probably knows what is going on better than most players, and certainly better than Winston.   Secondly, Hill has been busting his butt for the Saints, doing whatever was asked of him, for 4 years.   He signed a big contract.  So it makes sense that he should be given a chance to play and show that he is the potential Saints' QB of the future. 

Hill would have to be removed from his Swiss Army duties regardless of whether he started or was the primary backup, so the part of losing him in his current capacity was going to happen anyway.    I was watching Stephen Smith complaining on ESPN that Hill was 30 years old, and if he was going to be a starter he would already be one.  I don't think that is correct.  Hill came into the NFL late, and he has had a different road to where he is than most.     There are notable players that got their big chance at a later date, Kurt Warner with the Rams was 28.  Jake Delhomme with the Panthers was 28.   I am sure there are others.    If Hill can be successful, he would have potentially another 7-10 years as a QB, but would have to chance his style, much like Steve Young did.   It should be interesting.  

Payton has seen both players practicing for a long time.  So I have confidence that he knows what he is doing.  Something tells me he has been looking forward to this opportunity to see what Hill can do, and what he can do with Hill, (of course, not wanting it to happen with Drew getting hurt),.

Saint ATN likes this

Im not so optimistic as you are, Tom. What makes me a little cautious is the last match, where TH was in on 3rd an 4 in the 2nd half, when he starred down his potential receiver on the left side of the line, while completely overseeing an opening like a barn door basically justb infront of him, which he could have easily used to scramble for a 1st down. When I saw that, I was thinking that game awareness is not even close to that of Drew.

Now, someone could reasonably argue, that JW also hasnt stood out as a genius, student of the game so far in his career. But I have a good feeling about that dude. So, we should wait and see, just as Tom proposed.

Anyhow, If I had to start a franchise, and I had to pick either TH or JW as my QB, I would go with JW.

Edited by boricko
Saint ATN likes this

20 minutes ago, boricko said:

Im not so optimistic as you are, Tom. What makes me a little cautious is the last match, where TH was in on 3rd an 4 in the 2nd half, when he starred down his potential receiver on the left side of the line, while completely overseeing an opening like a barn door basically justb infront of him, which he could have easily used to scramble for a 1st down. When I saw that, I was thinking that game awareness is not even close to that of Drew.

Now, someone could reasonably argue, that JW also hasnt stood out as a genius, student of the game so far in his career. But I have a good feeling about that dude. So, we should wait and see, just as Tom proposed.

Anyhow, If I had to start a franchise, and I had to pick either TH or JW as my QB, I would go with JW.

Agree with most points, but there are very few in league history with game awareness close to Drew

Saint ATN likes this

I'm honestly shocked that SP is going to start Taysom over Winston, unless it is some kind of smokescreen. From the albeit, small sample size I've seen he has a slow release and questionable footwork in the pocket....we will see I guess...

Saint ATN likes this

It’s interesting to consider Payton’s so-called “decision”.  After the game last week, he initially said both players would play in Brees’s absence.  Then the story leaked, and Payton hasn’t confirmed it.   He said he names a starter but didn’t announce it.

It could be a starter simply means that player will run the first play.  If Payton is willing to substitute Hill for Brees, why wouldn’t he do the same with Winston?

I am going back to the theory that both Hill and Winston play, and share responsibilities.  The rest of the speculation is just to mess with the Falcons. 

Saint ATN likes this

Yeah running the first play has always been used to name that person the starter.   But I've always thought that is a needless designation.  Number of plays played out of the total number is all that matters.  Obviously with the QB position you almost never expected more than 1 person to play the whole game, but with the wildcat being somewhat common you do see some snaps by other players, whether a QB, RB, WR... .

I've no idea that to expect today.  I just hope for some consistency and identity on offense.  I'm a bit concerned this doesn't happen.  A few mistakes early and we go 3 and out without Brees I am more concerned.  We have a habit of spotting the opposing team points early and without Brees' experience I am less than optimistic we overcome that.

Edited by Shibumi
Saint ATN likes this

On 20.11.2020 at 11:27 AM, boricko said:

... Question is: what do we do, if Drew needs until the playoffs to get back, while Jameis wins out?....

This ofc now has to be changed to: "...and Taysom wins out?"

Saint ATN likes this

It is the correct result, although I do think the Rams are the better team. But they still have the Cards twice, along with the 49ers and Seahawks.

Bucs have the Chiefs next week, but after that have only the Vikings the Falcons twice, and Lions .  If the Chiefs beat the Bucs, the Saints would be 4 games up with 6 to go. 

Saint ATN likes this