Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boricko

Taysom Hill is (not) a Quarterback, Apparently he can QB

40 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, boricko said:

Honestly, and I dont wan't to engage in blasphemie, but right now, with this balanced team, I'm even leaning towards TH than DB. And I love DB.

Maybe I dont know as much about football as I think I know...

Bonckers and Saint ATN like this

15 hours ago, boricko said:

Maybe I dont know as much about football as I think I know...

I can't help remembering Jim Mora's infamous statement, " "You think you know, but you don't know.  You will never know."       And this applies to all of us....

Edited by Boris

Yeah, I saw hesitation and holding onto the ball too long yesterday in all fairness, the Eagles D lineman several times just threw our guys out of the way. From Peat to Armstead I saw them thrown like rag dolls. The defense did not play well either at all. Maybe Malcolm Brown makes that much of a difference, but I hope not. 

Saint ATN likes this

Well Drew will be back for the playoffs and Taysom’s playing time is giving the Saint’s staff valuable info on Taysom and his future as the Saints QB. 

And to be fair to the kid he is an inexperienced QB so he is going to have ups and downs. 

Edited by fjw70

4 hours ago, fjw70 said:

Well Drew will be back for the playoffs and Taysom’s playing time is giving the Saint’s staff valuable info on Taysom and his future as the Saints QB. 

And to be fair to the kid he is an inexperienced QB so he is going to have ups and downs. 

I agree.  I think the critics are unfair to  Hill, and how difficult playing QB in a complex offense can be, especially for a guy who hasn't managed a game since college 4-5 years ago.  He was pressured all day yesterday.   With the FGs made, we probably could have had enough points to win, if they Defense can contain the run.  Still, Taysom almost pulled it out. 

It was a total team loss yesterday.   Taysom does not see the field like a Drew Brees, of course Drew has 15 seasons with the Saints under his belt.  Hill is still a project, but I think he has done well.   Remember he was not a backup QB when he took over.  He was playing multiple positions.   But we are getting an idea of whether he can be a starting QB in the league.  But 4 games does not tell the story on his.

Saint ATN likes this

Listen I don't expect him to be perfect, but he fumbled again. This one not as bad as the previous ones, but he has 10 fumbles in his career. He should be holding the ball with better security. I hope he can grow into the position and learn some things, but I am not sold yet on him. I am not ready to throw him to the curb, but I want him to compete for the job when Brees retires not be handed the job. 

Saint ATN and faceman like this

4 hours ago, Bonckers said:

Listen I don't expect him to be perfect, but he fumbled again. This one not as bad as the previous ones, but he has 10 fumbles in his career. He should be holding the ball with better security. I hope he can grow into the position and learn some things, but I am not sold yet on him. I am not ready to throw him to the curb, but I want him to compete for the job when Brees retires not be handed the job. 

Yep, he's a turnover machine, We won't win the SB this year unless Brees returns 

14 hours ago, Bonckers said:

Agree that the fumbles have to end, as that has been an on-going theme, even before he started at QB.   The interceptions so far have not been atrocious, although he was lucky on a couple of throws also.  I think there is a learning curve on playing QB.   Payton even said he held on to the ball and was slow in decision making, and needed to have touch on certain throws.   So his weaknesses are acknowledged, and I am sure being addressed.  I think part of his issues  relate to not wanting to make a mistake and throw an interception.  Again, Hill's road to being a starting QB is a bit unusual, which is why I try not to judge him too harshly.   One thing was certain, Winston in his 5th year at QB, threw 30 interceptions last year, so it is not an easy position to play.  Wentz was not doing well in his 5th year.  Jared Allen struggled in his first couple of years.  Jackson, the MVP last year, had some bad games, particularly in the playoffs.  Darnold is struggling with the Jets. And many veteran QBs, like Matt Ryan, David Carr, struggle at times.   There is only one Mahomes. 

What I like about Hill is his effort, intangibles, mobility, strong arm, speed, and ability to extend plays.    He has done things that no other player in the League has done, at least to my knowledge.   What other QB do you know, played TE, H-Back, WR and every specialty team?   He almost won the playoff game against the Vikings last year with his effort. 

There is a lot to work with if he can be developed.  And I think he deserves, has earned, the chance.

That being said, I am all for getting Brees back for the playoffs, or as soon as he is healthy.   He is our best chance to reach the Super Bowl.

After watching several games now I have come to the conclusion that Taysom Hill is deprived of his multiply strengths while being the Saints QB. He may be more valuable to this team by being a situational QB instead of a starting QB. Just my few cents...;-) 

Saint ATN and boricko like this

Hill is definitely a multifaceted weapon when Brees is QB.   He is a project as a starting QB, and I believe Payton sees him that way.

Hill is 3-1 as a starter, and with regard to the one loss I put that on the defense, which was horrific against the run in the Philly game.

I will say he had no help from the defense against the run in Philly. I really hope it was one game and not evidence of how the D plays without Malcolm Brown who is out again this week. 

Brown is a good player , but he wasn’t going to run down Jalen Hurts or Patrick Mahomes ...  it’s unbelievable how easy it wa for Hurts and the Saints defenders looked like they were running in slow motion.. Saints got out coached and also missed a lot of tackles .. they better bring their A game tomorrow 

Bonckers likes this