Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boricko

Taysom Hill is (not) a Quarterback, Apparently he can QB

40 posts in this topic

This just crossed my mind: TH is not a quarterback, but a jokerback or maybe substitutionalback, You can insert him efficiently in any of the following roles: QB, RB, TE, WR, ST. He can block, catch, throw, tackle. That being said, Sean Payton and that dude have coined a new position, basically.

faceman, Saint ATN, Bonckers and 1 other like this

45 minutes ago, boricko said:

This just crossed my mind: TH is not a quarterback, but a jokerback or maybe substitutionalback, You can insert him efficiently in any of the following roles: QB, RB, TE, WR, ST. He can block, catch, throw, tackle. That being said, Sean Payton and that dude have coined a new position, basically.

I wonder if Payton knows that, and that is why the Saints only signed him to a 2-year deal this offseason. I mean honestly, if they thought without a shadow of a doubt he was the future at QB like Payton keeps saying to the announcers' chances are they would have signed him to a long-term deal. JMO. It could be a long play. We know Payton likes to keep his cards close to the chest. Could also be the reason we keep bringing in other QB's like Bridgewater and Jameis. I have never been oversold he was the answer as he has a very long injury list. I don't feel he reads defenses well. 

nolaspe and Saint ATN like this

Obviously he is being used as needed because he is a superior athlete with unusual skills.

If given a chance to be an every down QB....we don't know.  Unless the front office and Brees have already committed to his retirement date, a 2 year deal for Taysom doesn't tell me much.  Who knows what we will see in a year or two....

Saint ATN, Bonckers and nolaspe like this

I think he signed a 2 year deal for $20 million as a Swiss Army knife - backup QB.  If he proves to be a capable starting QB ... he will be looking for a much bigger contract. And being 32 at the end of this contract he’ll be looking for his one big payday.

Saint ATN, Bonckers and nolaspe like this

Have only been able to watch the second half.....it appears Taysom did a great job of being a QB first.  Obviously many run plays called but he definitely did a good job of not giving up on a pass play too soon.

Shame about the long TD being called back.

The defense...wow.......of course I think Matt Ryan might be the least mobile and most sacked QB in the NFL in the past 5 years or so.....

nolaspe, Bonckers and Saint ATN like this

Had a crazy thought . I wonder if SP is starting Hill for this game and the next game with the intention of having Winston play the next week against Atlanta. 

Would definitely be an advantage to our offense of game planning if they prepare for the wrong quarterback especially having played the team two weeks before. I don't know if that will happen but just an interesting thought 

sailorsaint, Bonckers and Saint ATN like this

On 11/24/2020 at 8:14 AM, WhoDatinH-town said:

Had a crazy thought . I wonder if SP is starting Hill for this game and the next game with the intention of having Winston play the next week against Atlanta. 

Would definitely be an advantage to our offense of game planning if they prepare for the wrong quarterback especially having played the team two weeks before. I don't know if that will happen but just an interesting thought 

It is an interesting thought, and you really never know with Payton.  If you think about throwing caution to the wind, then he would start Winston this week.  That would really give the Falcons something to think about.    But I really think the Saints are committed to Taysom Hill right now, and they are seriously considering him to be the QB of the future, so this 3-4 game span will serve dual purposes.  

Changing QBs for a professional team is not really what you want.  You want continuity and to see improvement. Hill should get better the more experience he gets at the position. There is just so much to being a successful QB, preparation both physically and mentally, timing, getting a feel for other players.....  I think Hill will start, even if he has a setback, until Brees returns. 

Saint ATN and sailorsaint like this

As for preparation, I think Taysom prepares very well, and think about it, instead of having to go to the WR, S/T, RB, AND the QB meetings, he just has to worry about one of them now. Timing and reading the defense are his issues right now, and he is smart. I have no worries that he will develop especially with Sean and Drew as mentors.

Saint ATN and Bonckers like this

I think Taysom will improve also.  Now that teams have some film on him, they will try to take away plays that he has been successful with.   He will have to develop and be able to adjust, like Brees has done, sometimes within a game. Both Payton and Brees will help him.

This week is going to be a tough test, as the Broncos are beginning to play well.  They got Tua benched this past Sunday.  

One thing Taysom has going for him is he has played at BYU in the high altitude and cold weather. 

Saint ATN and sailorsaint like this

Broncos have cancelled practice due to Covid positive tests. No names yet.  EDIT: May have been a back up QB, Driskell, that tested positve on Thursday.

Edited by sailorsaint
Bonckers and Saint ATN like this

21 hours ago, sailorsaint said:

As for preparation, I think Taysom prepares very well, and think about it, instead of having to go to the WR, S/T, RB, AND the QB meetings, he just has to worry about one of them now. Timing and reading the defense are his issues right now, and he is smart. I have no worries that he will develop especially with Sean and Drew as mentors.

Knowing and playing are different... obviously. Nothing beats experience. Now I was quite impressed last week in his performance but to be honest I don't expect the same level of play week in and week out..... I think that is expecting a lot.  Luckily our D and the rest of the offense and ST are playing well.  He shouldn't have to do more than manage the game, though he went way beyond last week.

Goodness thought he'd a bit fun to watch.....

Saint ATN likes this

I'm either not smart enough or unable on the mobile platform to make a poll....but was wondering how we all think the Saints finish the regular season.

With one of the weaker remaining schedules and Brees' injury, how will we do?

Total guess on my part.....I'd say we finish 4-2 for a 12-4 record.

I am also hoping all our games get okayed as scheduled.  I don't know what criteria the NFL is using to postpone/move games based on Covid-19 positive tests.

It will be good to get Brees some snaps before the end of season and not just the first playoff game.

Saint ATN likes this

I’m thinking 13-3 ... it’s possible they can win out, it’s also possible they could lose a game they should win.  It would be a disappointment if they finished below 12-4. 

The Kansas City game could be a Super Bowl preview and will definitely test our defense. 

This week’s Broncos game will be a test, to see if Taysom can win on the road against a pretty good defense. 

Shibumi and Saint ATN like this

After predicting an 11-5 season, I'm thinking 12-4 at this point. Some very winnable games on the schedule. If we can make it to the playoffs, we will be a dangerous team. And I don't KC will reach the Bowl, this year belongs to the Steelers and they are going to be a near impossible out.

Shibumi and Saint ATN like this

Hill is going to start against Philly and it looks like he might start against Kansas City, as there is at least one report that Brees is not ready.   I think it is best he waits until he is healed before he returns, to make sure he is ready for the playoffs. 

If Taysom plays against the Chiefs, in addition to the Philly game and the previous 3 games, I think it will go a long way to him being the starter at least right after Brees retires. 

It was interesting, Kurt Warner last week basically said that Hill was not a legitimate starter in the NFL.   However, Steve Young, said that he watched the film on Taysom and said just the opposite, that Hill is a legitimate starter in the NFL.    For Warner to say that, being an Arena football player, before coming into the NFL is rather ironic.   Ryan Clark said that Hill was just "OK"....  it appears that Taysom will go through the same criticism as Josh Allen.   I mean, Hill has only had 3 starts, and won them all. 

For my money, I will listen to what Sean Payton and Drew Brees, along with Hill's other team mates have to say about him.  I am watching this morning the coverage on Hurts.   Not nearly as critical.....  we will see after today.

Saint ATN and boricko like this