Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidell Saint

Pelicans hire Stan Van Gundy as new coach

4 posts in this topic

I don't really have an opinion on the hire.  From what I able to read on ESPN while at the gym, it looks like he has a reputation for good defensive teams.  So that sounds good since defense has not made an appearance in Pelicans games in a while.

A friend who is a Bulls fan is not impressed with the hire.  He's a much bigger NBA fan than I am though.  I haven't watched much NBA since the 90s other than the Pelicans during the last 2 years.

I hope this is a good hire.  I was tired of Gentry's score 120 and allow 130.

SVG was a very good coach with Miami and especially Orlando from about 2005-2012.  One NBA Finals appearance and three Eastern Conference Finals appearances.  Routinely winning 50+ games per year, making the playoffs and advancing beyond the first round.  That kind of consistent success here would make him a hero.

His last stop was a four year tenure in Detroit where he also was given GM responsibilities.  He didn't do so well there - winning more than 40 games and making the playoffs only once in four years.  Seems like Griff is putting that more on SVG's personnel decisions rather than his coaching abilities.  Here he's going to just have to coach - similar to his role in Miami and Orlando.

In a lot of ways he's similar to Alvin Gentry - old school coach who has been around the NBA a very long time and is well respected.  But he's also been more successful than Gentry has been in his various stops in the league.  

I hope he can resonate with the young talent we have and get them to consistently play hard offensively AND defensively. The lack of consistency and the lack of defense was what we got too often from Gentry's Pelicans...with both Anthony Davis and Zion.

I'm not sure who I was hoping for.  I got excited for about a second when Doc Rivers hit the market - but he was scooped up fast by Philadelphia.  I thought Ty Lue was going to be the man because of his relationship with Griffin.  But I guess the bright lights of L.A. and two bonafide studs in Kawhi Leonard and Paul George, even playing second fiddle to the Lakers, was more attractive than coming to NOLA with Zion.  But honestly I wasn't completely sold on Ty Lue...so I'm not really that disappointed.

I'm glad it wasn't Jason Kidd.

So SVG brings a respected, recognizable name and a history of success.  But also brings some questions based on his age and the lack of results at his last stop in Detroit.

I think it signals that we are much more in a win now or next year mode rather than a 5 year building project.

Bonckers and dtgSaintsFan like this

If SVG can get the Pelicans to play defense and finish games that will be a big improvement.  Supposedly he has been successful at developing young talent.

This will probably be his last hurrah at 61.  He is a colorful guy, so his personality should fit in with the fans.  He has a much better record than Gentry.  Assistant coaches will be important, and he has a good front office to work with.

I doubt he was the first or second choice of the Pelicans, who picked a tough year to change coaches, with so many openings at big market teams.

Slidell Saint likes this