Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StLee

Reason Behind Slow Starts?

5 posts in this topic

The Saints are 3-2, but they have a habit of constantly coming out slow. For the second straight week, the Saints came back after trailing by 14+, but that is not going to happen against good teams (e.g, what happened vs Green Bay). The Saints have trailed by at least seven in the 1st quarter in all three victories. Interestingly, they led early in both losses. 

Still, slow starts seem to be the norm these days. Why has it become a staple of the Saints' team to fall behind early and then have to play in comeback mode? 

I feel like the first 5 games are the microcosm of the past three "potential championship" seasons. The Saints lack a 60-minute edge. 

Thank goodness for that Lattimore tackle tonight. Otherwise, the comeback seemed like it was going to be for naught. 

Slidell Saint likes this

Too many cute plays with Taysom that aren't working.  3 first half plays that went for nothing.  To be fair to Taysom, he did score the game tying TD late in the 4th though.  But some of the Taysom plays impact the offensive rhythm.  

I feel like there has been some poor playcalling this year by Payton, especially in the first half.

Obviously, Brees is old and doesn't have the arm he once did.  You watch games with the young QBs and the balls are flying deep.  Mahomes and Jackson to name 2.

The pass rush was invisible early, then they started pounding Herbert.  One 3 and out had good plays by Hendrickson, Rankins, and Davenport.  Where is Cam Jordan?   MIA.

Slidell Saint and Bonckers like this

13 hours ago, dtgSaintsFan said:

Too many cute plays with Taysom that aren't working.  3 first half plays that went for nothing.  To be fair to Taysom, he did score the game tying TD late in the 4th though.  But some of the Taysom plays impact the offensive rhythm.  

I feel like there has been some poor playcalling this year by Payton, especially in the first half.

Obviously, Brees is old and doesn't have the arm he once did.  You watch games with the young QBs and the balls are flying deep.  Mahomes and Jackson to name 2.

The pass rush was invisible early, then they started pounding Herbert.  One 3 and out had good plays by Hendrickson, Rankins, and Davenport.  Where is Cam Jordan?   MIA.

I am not going to lie slow starts boil down to gameplan and the scripted offensive plays you start a game with. AS far as Cam, I have been concerned his whole career with the number of snaps he has played. Some years he played close to 100% of the defensive snaps because there was no one else. I am hoping we did not wear the tread off his tires. Time will tell. Payton has been on record saying Cam is getting double or chipped on almost every play. That just didn't stop him in the past. 

I agree on the Taysom issue too.  It seems like Payton is forcing things..   in most of the plays, Payton pulled Brees when he was in a rhythm. 
Payton has been off on his play calling o far this year. 
My hope is the Saints will peak later in the season.. we are fortunate to be 3-2. 

Bonckers likes this