Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StLee

Bob Gibson Died

1 post in this topic

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30026719/hall-famer-bob-gibson-st-louis-cardinals-ace-dies-84

I am not old enough to have ever seen him play, but when I was younger, I read a lot of baseball books. Football may be my favorite sport to watch, but baseball is poetry. I read every book I could get my hands on from the 1960s era of baseball. Gibson was my favorite of that era against a lot of legends: Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Sandy Koufax, Mickey Mantle, Don Drysdale, Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Pete Rose, Roger Maris of 1961, Joe Torre. 

Gibson was the type of pitcher that got into the head of a hitter probably more than any other in baseball history. And when he didn't get into the batter's head, he threw near it, which then got into the batter's head. 

David Halberstam's October 1964, the seven-game thriller of a World Series between the Cardinals and Yankees is my favorite baseball book about that era. Just Game Seven alone, where Gibson threw a complete-game to outduel Met Stottlemyre and the Yanks for the series win, was one of my favorite dramas of baseball and all of sports.