Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dtgSaintsFan

Saints vs. Buccaneers

11 posts in this topic

It's a good week 1 for the Saints, as long as Michael Thomas is ok.

Saints win, rest of NFC South loses.  And as a bonus, the Cardinals beat the Gold Diggers in San Fran.

The Lions blew a 17-point 4th quarter lead over duh Bears.  And the Eagles blew a 17-point lead to the Redskins.

nolaspe and Saint ATN like this

A solid if unspectacular win, the run D was solid, Jackrabbit's pick 6 was huge, but the pass D has gotta tighten up a bit and fix the penalties. Latt did a pretty great job covering Evans, but he's gotta not let him get in his head like he did early on w/ that boneheaded personal foul he got caught with. 

The offense is still sputtering, but w/o a pre-season and much TC work, I wasn't too surprised that they aren't clicking on all cylinders, but I'll give the yucs' 2ndary some credit where it's due, they did a solid job taking away the deep threat/longer intermediate throws for Drew as evidenced by the number of check downs to AK in the game that a few times ended up in him getting stuffed for a loss.

Watching brady get sacked, throw those 2 picks, and him crying to the refs were satisfying things of beauty lol... 

Should be a lot of volatility in the first few weeks since we had no preseason.  Good shakeout in the NFC South for the Bayou Boys.

Also enjoyed the Cowboys loss when I think every broadcast person picked them to win.

And I strangely like the Rams new uniform

nolaspe and Saint ATN like this

First, it was very weird not being in the Superdome for a Saints home game...and watching an empty Superdome. 

That had to affect the team as they played.  There is so much energy in that building during games.

Although weird...I admit that I enjoyed having Saints football to watch!  We ordered a bunch of wings and appetizers from the local BWW and really had a good time watching the game. 

The game itself - Tampa was obviously determined to take away our wideouts.  I thought we did a decent job of checking down to TE routes and screens to Kamara.  But the offense clearly wasn't in synch.  Sean Payton admitted as much in his post-game.

Drew Brees is showing age.  Not a criticism.  Just a statement.  Still our leader and a great in-game decision-maker.  Still an effective QB and still among the best.  But that rocking chair is calling.

But we have a deep, young team that will benefit from Drew's leadership.  

Our defense played well, although there are still those moments where it seems like we relax.  Right after the Jenkins pick 6, when we had them on their knees, we give up a quick touchdown drive that offset the pick 6.  Wish we could keep the momentum throughout the game, though I get that is tough.  Especially in an empty stadium.

Overall, the D was good.  Harassed Brady and frustrated their wideouts.  Their running game was a nonfactor.

Special teams looked good.  Solid performances there.

13 hours ago, nolaspe said:

A solid if unspectacular win, the run D was solid, Jackrabbit's pick 6 was huge, but the pass D has gotta tighten up a bit and fix the penalties. Latt did a pretty great job covering Evans, but he's gotta not let him get in his head like he did early on w/ that boneheaded personal foul he got caught with. 

The offense is still sputtering, but w/o a pre-season and much TC work, I wasn't too surprised that they aren't clicking on all cylinders, but I'll give the yucs' 2ndary some credit where it's due, they did a solid job taking away the deep threat/longer intermediate throws for Drew as evidenced by the number of check downs to AK in the game that a few times ended up in him getting stuffed for a loss.

Watching brady get sacked, throw those 2 picks, and him crying to the refs were satisfying things of beauty lol... 

While I agree on Latt, those officials were calling PI on both sides with very questionable contact, they also failed to notice (sarcasm) and flag Evans for ripping off Latt's helmet, how in the world do they not flag that?

I think the pass D will be fine, TB does have a great group of receivers, the Dline was tremendous without MD....will be even better when he gets back, hopefully soon.

The offensive line wasn't particularly sharp, even with 8-9 in the box, SP didn't seem confident going downfield much, but, at the same time I like that we stuck with the run....Peat, in particular, missed some blocking assignments, hopefully he improves but he was the obvious weak link on the line, I thought Easton was fine....

Saint ATN, boricko, nolaspe and 1 other like this

5 hours ago, boricko said:

@sficd2, speaking of Evans: I just realized last Sunday, how big of an unsportsman he is.

He thinks he is a bully, he is really a want to be tough guy....Latt is the wrong guy for him to try to intimidate....can't wait for the next TB game....

Saint ATN likes this

I realized that when he tackled Lattimore from behind a couple of years ago. The dude is a hothead goof. I would not build my team around that, but Arians thinks he can control or coach anyone. I think he is too arrogant for his own good with character platers personally. 

boricko and Saint ATN like this