Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidell Saint

Pels lose by 2 to Jazz in restart game. Something’s up with Zion

11 posts in this topic

Pels blow a lead and lose by 2 as Zion watches the last 8 minutes from the bench. Still felt good to have one of our teams back on the court!

I thought the Pelicans lost this game on defense.  They were getting killed in the paint.  Like a lot of games, the better team tightened up their defense in the second half, and the Pels didn’t.  Still they could have won it on a last second shot that rimmed out.  That was a good effort by Ingram, really bad luck. 

I don’t know how putting Zion in with 3 minutes left in the game could have risked his health more that the other 15 minutes.  He is 20 years old!  Just having him on the floor would have opened things up on offense.  I think that is just plain dumb, and if they aren’t playing to win because they are afraid Zion will get hurt, why bother?

I think part of the issue was that Gentry thought that since Zion hasn’t been playing that he was not in the top 5 players that he wanted on the floor at the end of the game. If the minutes restriction was so stupidly strict in a 2 point game, play Zion the last 3 minutes.

Slidell Saint and faceman like this

15 hours ago, Boris said:

15 hours ago, Boris said:

I think part of the issue was that Gentry thought that since Zion hasn’t been playing that he was not in the top 5 players that he wanted on the floor at the end of the game. If the minutes restriction was so stupidly strict in a 2 point game, play Zion the last 3 minutes.

I believe this decision is coming above Gentry. If you don't play him early, Do we even have a lead? That said I agree with you. He just turned 20 years old. I feel the Pels are treating him like a 35 year old who needs limited minutes. 

I completely understand wanting to be cautious with him for the long term, it certainly makes sense. But, Zion looks about 20lbs lighter to me (does anyone else notice?), I think he is ready to start playing a more expanded role with more minutes....we will see....

Slidell Saint likes this