Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Uptownsaint

Sports are back, but do you want them

12 posts in this topic

Let's put aside politics for a minute and try to make this purely sports.  Baseball and Basketball are back, Football training camps have started.  Sports are allowing players to opt out and a handful of impact players have already opted out.  College Football will probably just play Conference games, Baseball is 60 game season, Basketball shorten season, and Pro Football is yet to be determined.  The ******'s on these seasons will be many.  How does College Football pick the best 4 and will you view it as legit?  Baseball 60 games ... no grind it out ... do you really feel the best teams will be in the playoffs?  Basketball actually might not matter, the season had already started and good teams had separated themselves, plus everyone makes the playoffs. 

What if Football has to reduce down to a 13 game season?  If the Saints win, I'm going to count it as just as important, but is it really a legit win?  Will you look at the stats differently?  I guess it'll all depend on the product on the field.  But if Team A has all their starters and Team B is missing 5 impact players due to Covid, I'm not going to be happy with Team A's win.  I think it will lessen it.  And if that happens in the playoffs ... are they just trying to come up with a new way to screw the Saints.  Vikes are at full schedule and Saints can't fill a full team because of Covid, Vikes win NFC Championship Game by default, then get blown out in SB.  I could easily see this season being more harm than reward.

I haven't watched Baseball or Basketball and I honestly don't care if all Pro Sports are cancelled this year.  I would like to see college football, if it's done safely.  But if all sports are cancelled this year, I'm really don't think I'll miss it.

I can see an asterisk next to any sports championship team that can finish its season. Still too early to tell if any will. I don't know if and how long and the kicker, they don't either. The Marlins situation threw a kink in the idea and I'm interested to see how the NBA navigates these waters. We have just lost 2 TE's for the season, albeit they are backups but if you look over at NE's team they have more than a few players and as the NFL doesn't get it's act together more and more players are going to opt-out and we're going to be potentially looking like a season with scab players depending on how many players opt out of this year. It's an option and players are exercising it. We are already seeing landscape changes of players and that affects many things. Leading me more and more the thought of this year is an experiment, period and it can all end at any time, worthy of an asterisk. I don't envy their attempted lift here, it's beyond herculean and the house of cards can collapse at any time. Sure adds drama to the whole equation on a level unseen nor tested. Gonna be interesting and very day to day. Them sportswriters are gonna be exhausted. 

The only major sport I can see doing this is the NBA. It's due to roster size and they can play in a bubble. Baseball made it three days before 14 members of the Marlins tested positive. I just don't see how the NFL can pull this off. I'm now worried about states trying to open schools. I believe they'll suffer the same fate as MLB. 

If sports can pull it off safely (see PGA Tour and Euro soccer), then I'm all for them trying and will watch and enjoy...all while knowing there will be a giant asterisk next to anything related to sports in 2020.  Hell...might as well just denote everything that has happened this year, sports or not, with that asterisk.  It's just been that kind of year.

Seriously, though, I have major reservations about the leagues that are trying to do this as if nothing has happened.  MLB is headed for disaster.  The NFL probably shouldn't even try and will have to take extraordinary, practically impossible measures to prevent infection and spread of the virus, given the close contact and violent nature of the sport.  I just don't see how it can happen.

And that goes for college sports as well.  Football is football.  I have less faith in 18-21 year old kids following strict social distancing and hygiene rules than the pros.  Plus the college football rosters are bigger and, with a few exceptions among the big programs like LSU and Alabama, their facilities aren't nearly as spacious and modern as pro teams.  Plus, these kids are college students and can't be kept in a bubble if they are also supposed to attend classes, etc.

But the pro sports that can manage it should make the attempt. I know not everyone is a golf fan.  But the PGA Tour has been great.  It's been a fun escape back to pre-COVID normal, even without the full galleries of fans at the 18th and following the big stars.  Of course, golf is the ultimate in social distancing sport.  

I think the NBA has a chance.  The bubble concept can work and I'll be watching.  

Saint ATN likes this

I hate to say it, but I feel they should cancel most if not all sports altogether. Let me ask you all one question that I don't think has been asked yet. How would you feel if a Saints player catches COVID and were to die? I don't care about which team they are on if one pro or college athlete catches this and dies from it is traced back to the field of play or practice it is one too many. In football, there is too much contract to guarantee that they will not transmit or that someone testing negative won't actually be positive and pass it on. 

I want to watch Brees play one last year, and even want to watch it in person, but I don't think the risk is not worth it. I just don't see with how bad it is right now that it will not be transmitted through locker rooms and fields of play. I don't feel the risk is worth the reward. But that is me and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I would be devastated if a player on one of my teams dies from this because they played a game for my enjoyment. 

Saint ATN and faceman like this

17 hours ago, Slidell Saint said:

And that goes for college sports as well.  Football is football.  I have less faith in 18-21 year old kids following strict social distancing and hygiene rules than the pros.  Plus the college football rosters are bigger and, with a few exceptions among the big programs like LSU and Alabama, their facilities aren't nearly as spacious and modern as pro teams.  Plus, these kids are college students and can't be kept in a bubble if they are also supposed to attend classes, etc.

You nailed it. I see this every single day at Keesler. These young airmen don't care. The brass issued orders and guidelines for social distancing and mask wearing. They do wear mask when eating in the dining halls,but once they leave,they remove them and congregate next to each other around  the outdoor tables. The good thing is they are not allowed to leave the base. If they were, we'd be overrun. 

18 hours ago, Bonckers said:

I hate to say it, but I feel they should cancel most if not all sports altogether. Let me ask you all one question that I don't think has been asked yet. How would you feel if a Saints player catches COVID and were to die?

As bad as I feel when a nurse, oilfield worker, welder, waiter, etc catches COVID and dies.  This is only a sport to the fans, to those involved it's their job.  It's how they put food on the table.  Brees doesn't need to play and wouldn't be upset if he didn't.  But to the first, 2nd, 3rd year players ... this is their life.  To the player looking at one more payday before retirement, this is their job.  For most people, unemployment is not an attractive option.  People want and need to work.  Players only get paid if they play.  Sure new agreement this year is that they will get $100k if they opt out.  But some couldn't pay their bills with $100k. 

As an oilfield worker, we're told to stay in semi isolation on our days off or risk our job.  I have Navy friends that have been confined to base.  Many jobs, you have to self isolate if you want to keep your job.  Now I understand college kids are 'bulletproof' and some don't have the maturity to understand.  But as Pro, you either want your job or not.  The only difference between them and the welder at the Plant is how much they make.  The welder can't go to strip clubs and large house parties on his days off, why can't the pro football player follow the same rule.

faceman, Slidell Saint and Bonckers like this

The argument that “someone might die” is certainly one to consider, but I also think people are going to die even if sports aren’t played.  There is an argument to be made that some athletes are in better hands with their teams and being employed than they would be on their own, particularly players without families.  College athletes probably aren’t going to sit at home, but they aren’t being paid so that is something to consider.

I think it is a decision that each pro player needs to make.  They have the option to opt out, and they have the option to make money and/or further their careers.  The statistics seem to indicate the risks are low for young healthy people, but you can be THAT person that it kills or harms seriously.  (Of course that could happen to you outside of football.) Of course, football players assume a lot of risk just playing the game.  For some players an ACL is much more serious than COVID...sure there is a chance that it can kill you, but it is more likely to go away in 2 weeks, as opposed to having to rehab for a year.  And we know that concussions are a risk to NFL players.

The NBA has a good system going, but they have a long way to go.  It all depends on what you do when people test positive. MLB will show us how that works.

As to asterisks on the season, I think any team that wins under these circumstances should get a bigger trophy.  You have to overcome the virus, being alienated from your family, additional stress and demands, possibly overcoming sickness, practicing and training under unusual conditions, being mentally tough, additional demands on your staff and coaches... staying focused... etc etc ... 

This is uncharted territory.  I respect the fact that the leagues are trying to continue.  Sports are an escape for the masses, and pump money into the economy.  I think any safe attempt to generate business is important. The financial consequences of this virus is going to be felt for a long time, and have to be considered.  There are a lot of people that don’t have a choice; they have to work just to survive. Again, for the athletes, they have a choice.

Slidell Saint and faceman like this

8 hours ago, Uptownsaint said:

As an oilfield worker, we're told to stay in semi isolation on our days off or risk our job.

You need to contact the states Attorney Generals office. I can only speak for Ms. We are a right to work state that gives employers most of the power. Things have changed since covid though. If an employer here fires a worker because they are sick with this disease,they face 7 years in prison. I haven't checked,but I imagine most states have passed similar executive orders 

Maybe the Oilfield is different than other industries .. maybe not.  Shell Oil tells their employees to self isolate and not put yourself at risk a week before your hitch starts.  But contract employees (most oilfield workers are contract) don't have any protection.  LA is right to work, all they have to do is say that 'position' isn't needed, you stay home, then it's up to your contract company.  Now they only pay you when you work, so if there isn't a place to go, you don't get paid.  I'm sure Shell wouldn't fire anyone with COVID on the spot, but you'll just be let go a few months down the road because they don't need you. 

I'm sure you're right that most States have a law to protect someone that has COVID at that moment.  Most companies wouldn't fire a good employee that got COVID by 'accident', but if it comes out (posts on FB) that you put yourself (and then thereby co-workers on the platform) at risk because you're out partying, you're not going to keep your job very long.

And that's no different than rules the PRO's have put in place.  Players can be fined for going to places with groups of 15+, strip clubs, etc. 

5 hours ago, Boris said:

As to asterisks on the season, I think any team that wins under these circumstances should get a bigger trophy.  You have to overcome the virus, being alienated from your family, additional stress and demands, possibly overcoming sickness, practicing and training under unusual conditions, being mentally tough, additional demands on your staff and coaches... staying focused... etc etc ...

I'm glad you got us back on topic.  You certainly bring up a good point.  As a team reward, I think you're right.  If the season is played in full, then I think the most discipline and mental tough team will win.  (kind of makes me think Bilicheck's micro-management of every aspect and strictness might be a plus) Plus no home crowd to get you going, every game you'll have to get yourself up and stay up. 

But what about individual stats - I know football stats aren't as important as baseball stats, but say the sack record is set this year.  People were upset because they thought Farve 'took a dive'.

17 hours ago, Uptownsaint said:

I'm glad you got us back on topic.  You certainly bring up a good point.  As a team reward, I think you're right.  If the season is played in full, then I think the most discipline and mental tough team will win.  (kind of makes me think Bilicheck's micro-management of every aspect and strictness might be a plus) Plus no home crowd to get you going, every game you'll have to get yourself up and stay up. 

But what about individual stats - I know football stats aren't as important as baseball stats, but say the sack record is set this year.  People were upset because they thought Farve 'took a dive'.

If it’s a full season, then I think the stats should stand.  Again, everyone is playing by the same rules.  It’s almost a survival of the fittest.  It will be a total team effort, from the water boy to the owner that will win under these conditions. Trust, sacrifice, courage, dedication, endurance, ..... it will take a lot to win this year.  If one person messes up, it could be curtains.

One more point, before training camp even started, a lot of players contracted the virus both on the Pro and college levels.  So not playing is not insurance against the virus.

Slidell Saint, OzSaint and Bonckers like this