Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boris

Lost Season

48 posts in this topic

On 6/19/2020 at 11:37 AM, Uptownsaint said:

Oil and Gas workers go to work every day.  Construction teams are working manual labor right next to other co-workers.  People are in stores and going about their everyday life.  Why?  Because most people have to work to make money, to support their family. 

Most NFL players are no different, most can't afford to sit out (and not get paid) for a year.  (not to mention all the supporting jobs)  If the NFL season is lost, many lives will be dramatically changed for the worse.  those players that rank from 35-60+ (including practice squad), many will not get their jobs back in 2021.  (older players hoping for one last payday  or young player just needing a chance) 

NFL players should be giving the same opportunity as our construction workers.  They can go to work, but will  not be punished if they stay home for safety.  If they get sick, then the NFL should pay 100% of their medical bills (something that would not happen to a construction worker).  Teams should put in plenty of safety measures and if that means more players go on IR (and get paid) and thereby allowing many new players to get a chance, so be it. 

Some players and coaches have already had it and fully recovered, some never had any issues with it. 

I look at the NFL as a business, yes it's a game, but it's a business that supports a lot of families.  Plenty of people are working in far worse conditions and more risk.  Football is a game, the NFL is job that many people need

True but Oil and Gas workers aren't tackling each other in the trenches and meeting face to face in a circle huffing and puffing every minute or so. How many people working in the Superdome have tested positive? Many, both the NBA, NHL, and MLB can't figure it out. They thought they had it figured out and then the players started testing positive and had to shut everything down again. COVID is potentially career-ending to a player for what it can do to the lungs, how many players are going to want to play once one of the superstars pops positive for COVID, and can no longer perform at their previous level? Just playing devil's advocate but this is a real possibility. Renovations are ongoing at the Superdome but none of us will be in seats to enjoy it this year I'm afraid. I just don't see a full season happening. I'd like to, I'd like to see some of y'all at a game, it's just not realistic to me.  

faceman likes this

On 6/21/2020 at 1:35 AM, Saint ATN said:

True but Oil and Gas workers aren't tackling each other in the trenches and meeting face to face in a circle huffing and puffing every minute or so.

You can't change a valve without being face to face and plenty of huffing and puffing in this heat.  Construction crews are working hand and hand.  Plenty of normal people are working, in worse conditions, with way worse insurance.  "..COVID is potentially career-ending.." I bet the % would be way less that 1%. 

I'm all for them not playing any sports this year.  I think players are way over paid, I think the sport cost way to much for fans.  I think a lost season might be a good way of reversing the cost to watch games, the player salaries, etc.  I think many fans will leave the sport too, which would hurt/change TV contracts.  And if I were a multi millionaire, I would sit out this season. 

But many current players and college seniors can't afford a lost season, many lives will be changed for the worse.  (many many more than would be hurt by COVID)

I am honestly not sure the season is going to happen. The closer we are getting the less I feel it is going to happen. Where I live in NW FL the numbers are starting to rise dramatically. They were low here for a while, but I keep reading how athletes are testing positive all over the place. Without a vaccine, I cannot see a season happening. Wither that or daily testing and roster exemptions for teams with Corona patient positive testing. Something has to be done. 

Saint ATN likes this

10 hours ago, Bonckers said:

I am honestly not sure the season is going to happen. The closer we are getting the less I feel it is going to happen. Where I live in NW FL the numbers are starting to rise dramatically. They were low here for a while, but I keep reading how athletes are testing positive all over the place. Without a vaccine, I cannot see a season happening. Wither that or daily testing and roster exemptions for teams with Corona patient positive testing. Something has to be done. 

I do not see a vaccine happening. The flu mutates once per year while corona viruses can mutate up to 8 times a year, A vaccine developed now is not going to be effective against a strain 8 generations later. Recent research has shown that antibodies from those that have recovered are not permanent either. Welcome to the new normal. Sports may not be a part of our future for a long time 

Saint ATN and Bonckers like this

Everyone wants to talk about new cases, but no one brings up that for the very very mass majority two weeks later they're 100% fine.  Report out says LSU might have about 30 players that have it.  (all doing fine from what reports say)  What if by the end of the summer they have 70 players that have had it and now very unlikely to get it again.  (some people say catching it isn't 100% immunity, but others say it more likely than not)  Now you're down to 20-30 players that haven't had it.  Allow high risk players to sit out the season.

What about fans that have had it?  Why can't they go to the games?  All the people that have had it and had little to no problems, why shouldn't they move back to normal?

Saint ATN and Bonckers like this

4 hours ago, Uptownsaint said:

Everyone wants to talk about new cases, but no one brings up that for the very very mass majority two weeks later they're 100% fine.  Report out says LSU might have about 30 players that have it.  (all doing fine from what reports say)  What if by the end of the summer they have 70 players that have had it and now very unlikely to get it again.  (some people say catching it isn't 100% immunity, but others say it more likely than not)  Now you're down to 20-30 players that haven't had it.  Allow high risk players to sit out the season.

What about fans that have had it?  Why can't they go to the games?  All the people that have had it and had little to no problems, why shouldn't they move back to normal?

Well everyone wants to talk about new cases because the hospitals are getting overwhelmed to the point of danger again. We have not stopped this spread. We don't know how 100% fine they are, found this article on post-Covid, What we know (so far) about the long-term health effects of Covid-19. Appears we have a lot to learn still and there are issues and sub-issues but you are correct there is a part of the population that is fine. The problem is the non-infected still outnumber the infected by many millions and the ratio of what hospitals can handle and a normal NFL/College season can't/don't seem the meet in time for a successful start to the season or a traditional one that we've been used to. The first domino fell today with the cancellation of the Hall of Fame game, something in my gut tells me to anticipate more cancellations. There are also studies that are showing you can pop positive again for it. 

As Faceman stated this thing is a mutating beast and a large scale example is now in the news with China is currently in shutdowns due to a 'Euro' mutation of the original Wuhan Covid 19 that was recently brought into China and is wreaking absolute havoc. I want to honestly answer your last questions, the problem still lay with the reality of nature and mutations of viruses. It can reinfect, and which one, just because you tested positive doesn't mean you're immune to a mutation. The tests can't even tell you which mutation you survived. The biggest problem is the inconsistent pass/fail issue with the US tests. If we can't get that right then without a vaccine right now in your Dr's hands, I just don't see it coming. Happy to be wrong and happy for mom nature to kick this thing to the wind as I want normal back last week but with too many states proverbially peeing in our collective US pool we're not going back to normal for longer than you or I want.

We need a vaccine and there are 5 in production NOW however the fear of the mutations outpacing these currently being manufactured vaccines is a reality we have to be prepared for. Those that have had it have to wait for this to wash thru the population, sorry, not happy about it either but the restrictions are to protect the health care workers that are overwhelmed. My sister is a nurse in MS and ya, well, let's just say it ain't good, it's really upsetting and she and her coworkers are under immense pressures they've never had to endure much less how long they've had to endure it. The PTSD they are going thru is very real and taking its toll, we're doing this for them. We could have gotten out in front of this, our gov't failed us and wearing masks got politicized instead of doing what exactly did for the 1918 flu and we couldn't even do that little cohesively and now we have to deal with it until it's done. History will record where this all went off the rails and why, I just want to go back to normal and we're not there yet. Sports pales in comparison now and I hate that it does and why it does and forever why it will. 

faceman and WhoDatinH-town like this

so Faceman & Saint ATN say it's a 'mutating beast' and then fjw70 shares an article that says it isn't.  Which shows that even the experts really don't know.  Which is why I said "What if by the end of the summer..."

Except for fans making travel arrangements, what is the rush to cancel games now?  If the fall back is no fans in the stadium, then why cancel?  Until real practices have to be postponed, then anything can still happen. 

The HoF game is a waste of game and I fill they had been looking for any excuse to get out of that game anyway. 

I'm on record, I hope they all get cancelled, sports need a reset.  That said, I don't like the knee jerk reactions.  I don't like the media over-hype and we're not one size fits all.  My fiancee' is an RN (we're in NWFL), dealing with some of her COVID patients is harder, but she takes it in stride.  (it was never an easy job, but most jobs aren't)  the NBA playing in Disney?  Baseball playing 60 games?  NCAA just playing conference games?  These are businesses working very hard to remain a business.  This not a backyard game, these are businesses.  These are jobs.  This is the only way some people have to put food on the table.  I don't want anyone taking our jobs away.  I don't blame them for fighting to keep their jobs.  (I also don't blame the ones that have made millions not wanting to play and they shouldn't)

1 hour ago, Uptownsaint said:

so Faceman & Saint ATN say it's a 'mutating beast' and then fjw70 shares an article that says it isn't.  Which shows that even the experts really don't know.  Which is why I said "What if by the end of the summer..."

Except for fans making travel arrangements, what is the rush to cancel games now?  If the fall back is no fans in the stadium, then why cancel?  Until real practices have to be postponed, then anything can still happen. 

The HoF game is a waste of game and I fill they had been looking for any excuse to get out of that game anyway. 

I'm on record, I hope they all get cancelled, sports need a reset.  That said, I don't like the knee jerk reactions.  I don't like the media over-hype and we're not one size fits all.  My fiancee' is an RN (we're in NWFL), dealing with some of her COVID patients is harder, but she takes it in stride.  (it was never an easy job, but most jobs aren't)  the NBA playing in Disney?  Baseball playing 60 games?  NCAA just playing conference games?  These are businesses working very hard to remain a business.  This not a backyard game, these are businesses.  These are jobs.  This is the only way some people have to put food on the table.  I don't want anyone taking our jobs away.  I don't blame them for fighting to keep their jobs.  (I also don't blame the ones that have made millions not wanting to play and they shouldn't)

Like Atn said I wish we knew the answer. There are conflicting stories out there. We do know this from history. In order for herd immunity to work, at least 60% of the population would need to have anti-bodies. We are nowhere close to that. We are less than 10%.

This video explains the dangers much better than I can.

Saint ATN likes this

Well, My son in law tested positive, so it's now hit home with me. He       said he's running a slight fever with body aches,nothing bad right now. He's 28 with no underlying health issues,so he should be fine. I'm worried about my daughter though. She's type   2 diabetic and works the covid unit at     a local hospital,and the Ms. coast is exploding with new cases now. 

12 hours ago, fjw70 said:

Just saw this article this morning. It’s says that it seems that the corona virus actually mutates slower than the flu, at least in ways that matter for a vaccine. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/06/26/883477681/this-coronavirus-doesnt-change-quickly-and-thats-good-news-for-vaccine-makers

I hope they are right and I am wrong. I really do. A vaccine imo is the only way we'll ever return to true normalcy 

Saint ATN, Bonckers and sfidc2 like this

2 hours ago, Uptownsaint said:

First off, sorry to hear Faceman about your family, after losing 2 friends in NOLA from this, I can well understand your concern for your family. I wish them well. 

Uptown, I'm just repeating what I've read up on and new stuff comes out all the time. I try my best to stay on it as a business owner of an essential business that has not been closed thru this pandemic. It's challenging to stay up on everything and I'll be the first to state, I'm not a scientist although I helped bring science to my industry, I'm far from knowing everything. I wished I did at times so I could figure out how to fix all this and give us a reasonable answer, I can't. Per your discussion even from the article above. "Scientists are uncertain because the coronavirus is still so new" We don't fully know much but we do know it mutates, the thing went to the EU and mutated and went back to China and is causing shutdowns 3 to 4 months after. So that's a mutation that took the world by storm, sorry it doesn't fit into any agenda, it's just science and it doesn't mean a vaccine will work or won't, time will tell. We're all in the practice patience mode until further notice. Ya, I don't like it either, at all. Especially reading how it's possibly affecting our family here, this sucks and everything about this sucks. 

It doesn't mean that a vaccine won't work or not, what we do know is a mutation of the original strain that took place and is having a world stage where it supposedly came from. It doesn't mean that a vaccine will work as we just don't know yet, I hope it does though. Too much I don't know for you and me and everyone. We need more science period, but we've waived that option apparently here in the US and we're all going to have to lump this shit until it's run its course and science catches up with a vaccine. I don't like knee jerk reactions either, I rely on science and intelligent decisions to protect my employees and family whilst this thing is apparently ramping up again. 

It's simply a numbers game at this point and the numbers don't bear out in time for the fall, at this time. Things could change in a few months  These are jobs, correct, non-essential jobs. They're entertainment, high priced, overpriced and this whole thing won't change prices, in fact, I'd expect a hike in prices. I wish this would lower it, but, as a businessman, I see how many people work in the dome on game day and that's a lot of staff and workers that were underpaid due to what was put on the field. Think that will get cheaper? Human labor isn't cheap and doesn't get cheaper, that's just hard reality.

Leagues are businesses and they are going to be hurting at levels they've never faced at/in any league of in any/all sports and are all in the same boat together, unprecedented all around given the scope of what sports have become in the present day. It will be interesting to see what will take place between now and the Saints' first kickoff. A whole lot of uncertainty to pinpoint that specifically as a date right now, if there is in fact a date this year. Leagues will have to walk a fine line to stay afloat and jobs are going to be lost, leagues and teams are going to fold. Some will be able to get back some of their audiences whereas others will not. Better grab your popcorn, it's gonna be a while. What we knew is not what we know now and we might know more tomorrow as to where we're going but we do know it is new territory never tread on before. 

faceman likes this

15 hours ago, faceman said:

I hope they are right and I am wrong. I really do. A vaccine imo is the only way we'll ever return to true normalcy 

Best to you and your family man, hope your SIL recovers quickly and fully....It is almost unbelievable how there are so many out there who....I'll stop here...Cheers mate

3 hours ago, sfidc2 said:

.It is almost unbelievable how there are so many out there who....I'll stop here...

I won't stop:) This is a catastrophic failure from the top on down. I'm not a fan of government overreach, but this administration has left the decision up to individual states. This is one issue where big brother needs to step in. A month ago, my FB feed was overwhelmed with people laughing at states with democratic governors . My oh my,have the tables turned. This should have never been political. It's a medical crisis damnit 

Whelp, there go my seats...

First eight rows of Superdome will be covered to protect from coronavirus

First eight rows of Superdome will be covered to protect from coronavirus

Saints fans are om for a different experience in the Superdome during the season of coronavirus. (FOX 8 photo) (Source: FOX 8 photo)

NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - The NFL announced Thursday that all stadiums, including the Mercedes-Benz Superdome will be mandated to cover its first eight rows to protect coaches, players and other staff from coronavirus.

“We are already in the process of working with and reaching out to our season ticket holders making it a priority to accommodate and relocate them,” said Saints Vice President of Communications Greg Bensel.

Bensel also said they will offer a number of fans options for the 2020 season including a refund or credit and it will not impact their season ticket holder status moving forward.

“I would add that this will be revisited for the post-season,” Bensel said.

The NFL plans to begin training camps in July. Sources tell the Associated Press the Hall of Fame game in Canton has been canceled. 

Link

22 hours ago, faceman said:

July is is only 3 days away and when NFL teams start training camp. I just don't see a season happening. 

If it does, which I am skeptical I don't see how fans can be there. The owner of my company who had season tickets let his go this season. 

faceman and Saint ATN like this

On 6/29/2020 at 9:08 AM, Bonckers said:

If it does, which I am skeptical I don't see how fans can be there. The owner of my company who had season tickets let his go this season. 

My daughter who doesn't have a political bone on her body registered to vote today,and it will be against trump. This idiot ordered testing to be lowered because he didn't like the numbers. I know this is dangerous ground, but we elected a psychopath as President. I didn't like him in the 80's and I sure as hell don;t like him now. 

fjw70 likes this

13 hours ago, faceman said:

My daughter who doesn't have a political bone on her body registered to vote today,and it will be against trump. This idiot ordered testing to be lowered because he didn't like the numbers. I know this is dangerous ground, but we elected a psychopath as President. I didn't like him in the 80's and I sure as hell don;t like him now. 

He ruined the USFL.

faceman likes this

On 6/26/2020 at 3:24 PM, faceman said:

Well, My son in law tested positive, so it's now hit home with me. He       said he's running a slight fever with body aches,nothing bad right now. He's 28 with no underlying health issues,so he should be fine. I'm worried about my daughter though. She's type   2 diabetic and works the covid unit at     a local hospital,and the Ms. coast is exploding with new cases now. 

Update- My son in law is feeling much better. He is expected to recover fully. He told me the first three days were rough. His quote was I felt like Bruce Lee worked me over      with a pair of nunchucks. My old ass wants no part of that. Please     everyone who reads this, please wear a mask in public. Your constitutional rights are not violated in a pandemic if             your local or state government mandates their use. If we had been doing it since the first case was reported here,we'd be talking about training camp now instead of some states debating going back to phase 1 

sfidc2 and Slidell Saint like this

I had to get tested on Tuesday. My office partner tested positive, but I have no symptoms. She had none prior to testing positive either. I am hoping to get negative or I won't be able to see my daughter. I m supposed to hear back no later than Friday. 

Conservatives are really hard to understand: It's your constitutional right to infect, and this way harm, other people by not wearing a mask. But there is no constitutional right for you to poison yourself (with Heroin for example). Can anybody make sense of this??

Edited by boricko
typo
sfidc2 likes this