Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saint ATN

They killed this forum too...

5 posts in this topic

They were hurt badly here, and honestly, I was hoping someone could push the NFL to make changes. And give them an even if a bad version of a farm league to develop O lineman and QB's. 

Saint ATN likes this

Agreed, we found some diamonds in the rough via NFLE and we got some great players from the USFL, legends even so, like you, I was hoping for a development league for budding players or tweeners who have something to prove and nowhere to prove it.

Honestly, if the Covid issue hadn't have hit, I think they had a solid product and viewership to keep going. 

2 leagues, 2 years apart, outright decimated and scattered to the wind, whodathunkit? 

Bonckers likes this

I really thought this version had a chance to survive.  Solid crowds.  Solid TV partners and decent ratings.  Even the on-field product was entertaining, though not great.

But this ain't the NFL...they needed games to be played for advertising dollars, ticket sales and team gear sales to flow cash into the system.   With no games but most of the the costs already incurred, this was inevitable.  Even a deep-pocketed guy like McMahon isn't going to bankroll a dormant league with all the uncertainty surrounding the pandemic.

Very sad.  Crappy timing.

Saint ATN likes this

Yeah, I agree timing killed them. Speaking of bankrolling. I had a conversation with a friend of mine regarding the NFL and the new CBA this morning. Did you know the league has no protections in the CBA if the games aren't played? They still have to pay the player's salaries. I did some rough calculating that would run roughly $5.7 billion. I told him I know for a fact they will have a season, the question is how do they do it, and when. The league would go out of business if they do not. No business can withstand a 5.7 billion loss in a 20 week period. Honestly, if they find a way to make it work it would really help the league in the TV contract negotiations because it will be even more in demand. The draft had record viewership this year for the demand.