Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
herb

NO, NO, NO, NO!!!

33 posts in this topic

There is a reason he was taken 1st overall in the draft. There is no question about his talent.Payton is the best Qb coach in the league,and he can learn under Brees for 1-2 years

WhoDatinH-town and nolaspe like this

I never liked Jameis Winston as a NFL QB. He is not a natural leader and makes just too many mistakes. Whoever watched the Hard Knocks series a couple of years ago know what I mean. Winston is an immature person and probably will never grow up. Imho a wasted signing...just my few cents...

51 minutes ago, faceman said:

There is a reason he was taken 1st overall in the draft. There is no question about his talent.Payton is the best Qb coach in the league,and he can learn under Brees for 1-2 years

Totally agree, I think folks need to put their negative feelings about Winston aside here....This is SP acquiring a veteran QB who could step in if Brees goes down (risk addressed) because Taysom is going to see the field frequently. I also think it is also a chance for SP to evaluate and teach Winston and see how he responds....The talent is there, but can he be coached up to go through multiple reads and improve his decision making in the context of a complex offense? That is the question....

I like the move....

Richard, faceman and nolaspe like this

Ugh.  I despise Winston as a person.  He’s an immature punk with a history of off the field issues.   But, I guess I’ll have to deal with it.  It’s kind of like going into the voting booth and holding your nose while pulling the lever.  You gotta do it, queasy feeling and all.  
   Now, as a strictly football move, I get it.  He is the best FA QB available, and he’s signing on the cheap.  Maybe (and it’s all up to him) he can gain some maturity through this staff’s guidance.  I remember during our Super Bowl season, we signed a D lineman that had past issues with drug abuse (can’t remember his name).  He ended up keeping his head on straight and playing well that year.  Maybe it happens for Jameis.  I don’t have a clue. 

28 minutes ago, louder said:

U, we signed a D lineman that had past issues with drug abuse (can’t remember his name).  He ended up keeping his head on straight and playing well that year.  Maybe it happens for Jameis.  I don’t have a clue. 

Anthony Hargrove. He was also screwed during the bountygate fiasco

WhoDatinH-town, louder and nolaspe like this

well, hmmm, I’m gonna have to process this...Mr. Eat a W...here...a Saint?!?...wow...Seriously!?!...I’m conflicted...I see it in my head...don’t feel it in my heart...he has talent, yes...starting talent, even...this feels weird/awkward...division rival?!?...I mean, I trust Payton...this one has me scratching my inner brain sanctum...you’re kidding,right?...quarentene dream...nope, checks out...I’m getting conflicted feelings, no doubt...what the &@$#? is Payton thinking...rereads thread...he IS a 1st round talent...how many interceptions last year...Yikes!...oof...he Did have corrective eye surgery this past offseason...behind Drew...we DID need a serviceable backup last season...no doubt we deeded that help...Taysom has got to be kinda not happy about this...Payton will use one to motivate the other thru play...hmmm...I get that...now Taysom has serious competition...and motivation...something happens to Taysom, due to wreckless nature, we have a viable starter...to throw picks....no, Payton WILL coach him up...Brees will show him and mentor him...this is just bizarre...I get it...I don’t...but I do...ugh...rereads thread...!?!...what the &@$#? Payton...Teddy is in Carolina now...Winston, here, now...what is the NFC South?...musical chairs with QB, game!?!...seriously!...QB crab legs!?!...wonder what Bonkers thinks of this?...he is familiar with our team...we’re familiar wth him...enough so that Payton wants to have the opportunity to coach him up...Payton knows QB’s...no doubt...he sees something I don’t...I’m not a pro evaluator...hopefully hes up to learning...he wouldn’t do it if he didn’t get his chance...I do trust Payton...is one year enough to turn Winston into something redeemable?...remains to be seen...kinda doubtful...very conflicted...gravitating toward acceptance...how much are we paying?...unknown, at this time...what a strange year this has turned out to be...what an interesting QB room that will be...interesting dynamic given Brady took his spot and he could potentially, albeit small, replace Brees...kids gotta be licking his chops...still feels odd, all in all...I’ll get over this...just kinda mind rattled by this...

Drew, Richard, nolaspe and 1 other like this

News breaking that Taysom signed a new 2 year deal...hopefully they were playing footsie to motivate Taysom Hill to sign up and we'll now move away from the Jameis talks?

Saint ATN and nolaspe like this

52 minutes ago, boricko said:

Comon guys. Give him a chance!!!! If he doesnt quit his antics right away and doesnt develop a work-ethic until fall, we will ghet rid of him soon.

Until then: As a member of the NO Saints, he has my full support.

I plan to, I just have to process a lot of internal conflicts first. 

nolaspe likes this

Not many college players are focused like Joe Burrow and not all of them are as unfocused as Winston, but that was 4 years ago and he has grown up.  He has a ton of talent and he his loved and respected by his team.  He also turned down more money to sign with the Saints and learn from Payton/Brees.  That is a sign of maturity and a sign that he wants to get better and be a starter again.

If Brees is hurt for 5 games this year and Hill isn't the answer, then I think Winston gives us a good chance to go 4-1.  (I also think Dalton would have been a safe bet, but he would only be a one year fix.  Winston upside is long-term starter)

Saint ATN, nolaspe, Drew and 1 other like this

Low risk, high reward signing.  Winston likely is trying to mirror Bridgewater's success by following the same path - patience, study under one of the best QB's in the NFL and learn one of the most dynamic offensive systems in the NFL, all the while being ready to step in if Brees suffers an injury.

Don't get me wrong - off the field stuff matters.  But this demonstrates how strong Payton believes his locker room is.  

I may not care for Winston...but this move doesn't bother me. 

faceman, herb and nolaspe like this

As an FSU fan, I was embarrassed by him many times his last year there. I will say in the last year or two all the off the field stuff seems to have fallen off. I will also say this Jameis plays his best when he has a coach who will hold him accountable. At FSU Jimbo Fisher was the type of coach who would grab you by the facemask and rip into you when you needed it. He was also the only QB I saw Jimbo let call audibles. The football smarts are there, but the biggest thing with him is he was immature and was trying to be a class clown. 

I honestly believe he has the same mentality as Brett Favre. For Brett, it took Mike Holmgreen to calm him down. I truly believe that Taysom is our QB of the future. The Saints would not keep saying that if they did not believe it. Sitting behind Brees and having him say over and over again completions are not bad will help him. There were and are a lot of times Brees will dump it off and have PT, Bush, Ingram, Kamara, etc break tackles and get a first when others thought not possible. He needs to learn this. 

I do NOT want him as our long term answer after Brees, because I am not sold the maturity will last. However, as long as Brees is here he will keep him in check. There is not a better QB room in the league hands down with him and TH backing up Brees. If he is needed for a game or two if Brees and TH get banged up I know he can handle that and then some. The talent and football smarts are off the charts. It's the overcompensation and bad o line play that hurt him in Tampa. Look up the stats under pressure he threw a lot of his interceptions. I can't find the numbers now but saw a stat by PFF that something like 20 of his 30 interceptions came when under pressure. Take the sack or the dump-off will be what he learns here. Not his biggest fan, but I really like this move, He is a clipboard holder at worst and could be a 3rd round compensation pick in a couple of years depending on how he looks when he is on the field in the preseason or mop-up duty.

That is something I am glad we are finally finding a way to exploit like NE always seems to do. They trade low on a vet and let them leave in free agency for the picks. In the past, you could not trade those picks as of a couple of years ago they changed that. I would love to see us take advantage of that. Since he has not officially signed until today, he nor Jenkins count towards the compensation picks. Only the Emmanual Sanders signing did. And we lost more than we signed so the expectation is next draft we pick up a 3rd rounder. It would be nice if that became the norm. Who wouldn't love an extra 3rd rounder every year? 

Richard and Saint ATN like this

On 4/27/2020 at 9:17 AM, Slidell Saint said:

Low risk, high reward signing.  Winston likely is trying to mirror Bridgewater's success by following the same path - patience, study under one of the best QB's in the NFL and learn one of the most dynamic offensive systems in the NFL, all the while being ready to step in if Brees suffers an injury.

Don't get me wrong - off the field stuff matters.  But this demonstrates how strong Payton believes his locker room is.  

I may not care for Winston...but this move doesn't bother me. 

I agree, low-risk, high-reward deal. Winston has been as ass, but he’s our ass now; so I’ll accept and pull for him to succeed.  Payton will not put up with foolishness or any behavior that jeopardizes the team. 

So basically what we now have is the best QB group in the NFL.  Winston is a gun slinger and the type of player that can come in the game and perform in a pinch.  His athleticism and experience can bring a team back and fill in if Drew goes down. 

The fact that Winston, a former no 1 overall draft pick and 5 year starter is willing to come in as a backup shows he is maturing.  He will learn from the best, and hopefully turn his career around.   I’m not sold on Winston as a team leader or future starter, but he does give the Saints options.  Taysom can still contribute as a Swiss Army knife, which he is now getting paid for, so I don’t think there is an issue. They can learn the QB position together; competition is good.

I think with the pressure off, as both QB in a collapsing pocket, and as the face of a franchise, Winston will have his best chance to succeed in the NFL learning from his time with the Saints.  And Tampa has to be a bit miffed at his signing with the Saints.

Now with Bridgewater going to Carolina, and Winston going to the Saints, can Cam be going to Atlanta?   🤪

Bonckers and nolaspe like this

I hope Cam goes to ATL lol. I think Jameis' athleticism has been overplayed by a few in the media. He is agile in the pocket like Brees, but he is nothing close to what I would call a mobile QB. He does move better than Brees and Brady in the open field, but not by much. He has a very awkward stride too. He did have some decent runs in college, but he barely broke the 5-second mark in the 40. I agree with you Boris he is not a natural leader, and the sad thing is he was at FSU he would carry that team and give the pep talks during the NC season when needed. So maybe he could regain that being around someone like Brees. In college, he was a phenomenal leader and teammate but his off the field stuff was way too much.  

nolaspe likes this

3 hours ago, WhoDatinH-town said:

I love Cam Jordan

This is a great example of the difference between a winning and losing franchise. Instead of building a O-line around Winston, The Bucs kept drafting Wr's. 

boricko, Saint ATN and nolaspe like this

2 hours ago, faceman said:

This is a great example of the difference between a winning and losing franchise. Instead of building a O-line around Winston, The Bucs kept drafting Wr's. 

This I agree with 100%, but they get Brady and add o lineman in the draft. I am not saying that was Winston was not at fault for his shortcomings, but they ignored the o line and so has Carolina for years. AS it is the Bucs I believe only added one o lineman which came in the draft at LT. They did not solidify it enough. Their interior and RT are weak. I think Brady made a big mistake going there for that reason. The pats at least built good to great o lines around him. That's why he didn't always have the best WR weapons.  

nolaspe likes this

it is strangely odd that teams in our own division have not paid attention to the successful formula that Payton has implemented. It's really surprising to me that none of them invested as we have in our O-Lines collectively. They have a QB in their division throwing 5k consistently for years and no one was like, hmmm, maybe we should give our QB a solid line to play behind and he might put up some yards? It's not rocket science but we're not dealing with rockets, either. 

nolaspe, Bonckers and faceman like this