Saint ATN

With the 24th selection in the 2020 draft the Saints select C Cesar Ruiz

22 posts in this topic

Ruiz (pronounced roo-EEZ) grew up in Camden, New Jersey, attending Camden High School before transferring to Florida's IMG Academy for his final two seasons. He left there as the top center prospect in the country, signing with Michigan to continue its tradition of great offensive-line play. Ruiz got on the field sooner than expected, starting five times at right guard and playing in 10 games overall as a true freshman, sometimes as a sixth lineman. He was a third-team All-Big Ten pick as a sophomore and second-team all-conference selection in 2019, starting all 13 games in the pivot each season. Ruiz's father was tragically struck down trying to help someone change a tire on the side of a highway when Cesar was just 8 years old.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
NFL Comparison
James Daniels
Overview
Athletic and tenacious with the combination of skills and technique to fit into a variety of blocking schemes on the next level. Ruiz wins early with initial quickness and fast hands into first contact. He works to convert early advantages into wins. He's consistent in securing down-blocks and has the athletic traits to become a second-level factor. He'll give some ground to power rushers and needs help against wide-bodies, but the tape checks out. Ruiz has early starting potential and should develop into a good pro with guard/center flexibility.
Strengths
  • Excellent snap-to-step quickness
  • Waits for defender to declare before capturing and securing the block
  • Consistent to run feet through double-teams and down-blocks
  • Plays with bend and leverage
  • Fluid on the go and can lead the charge on wide pulls and screens
  • Tenacious demeanor from whistle to whistle
  • Early into pass sets with good hand placement
  • Compact, stiff pass punch with good arm extension
  • Clear eyes to identify pre- and post-snap danger
  • Consistent base width throughout pass sets
  • Has feet and lateral slide to mirror anyone in front of him
Weaknesses
  • Frame appears to lack desired width
  • Could benefit from better acceleration and thump into first blow
  • Needs to work at steering blocks into position
  • Positional blocker with average face-up power
  • Could struggle to set a shallow anchor against NFL bull-rushers

hmm then this would potentially look like:

LT Armstead=3rd round
LG Peat=1st round
C Ruiz=1st round
RG McCoy=2nd round
RT Ramczyk=1st round

Seriously, that's gotta be up there for O Lines. 

I think you can never have enough quality linemen, on either side of the ball. But I'll state, for the offense it is ven more beneficial.

If you are wondering why we made this pick,rewatch the Vikings playoff game. Brees was facing pressure up the gut the entire game. We'll also have to deal with the Niners D-line this upcoming season.  

phil and sfidc2 like this

1 hour ago, faceman said:

If you are wondering why we made this pick,rewatch the Vikings playoff game. Brees was facing pressure up the gut the entire game. We'll also have to deal with the Niners D-line this upcoming season.  

That is definitely how to get to Brees... up the middle.  I think the Falcons and Rams did the same thing in the losses earlier in the year.   As ATN pointed out, across our OL is all draft picks, and all of them, except for maybe Armstead, can play multiple positions.  If you look at the OL injuries across the NFL last year, depth and versatility on the OL is a necessity.  

faceman likes this

Definitely not a sexy pick.  And in chat last night I was on the Patrick Queen bandwagon.  I think Queen will be a stud linebacker and went to the perfect team for a play-making linebacker.  I very much wanted us to go LB at 24.

But I can't argue with the need at OL...especially our interior OL.  McCoy was a great addition last year.  But pressure up the middle was a problem last year.  And injuries can deplete what seems like quality depth very quickly in the NFL.

Yep - I wanted Patrick Queen.  But I'm good with Cesar Ruiz.

1 hour ago, faceman said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

I know I'm repeating what's already been said but you can never have to good an offensive line. Just to many good things can come from a top tier offensive line. 

22 minutes ago, Boris said:

That is definitely how to get to Brees... up the middle.  I think the Falcons and Rams did the same thing in the losses earlier in the year.   

Great Point. Brees is still deadly when he's able to step up in the pocket. If I'm not mistaken, Warrford got injured in the Falcons game early and battled that injury all season 

Bonckers likes this

Now the question starts to drift toward, keep Warford or sell him for picks? Not sure we get anything high for him, he is experienced and his rotation wouldn’t hurt. The key is the sticker shock of his 12 mill salary. We saw quickly what it was like when he was out, it was miserable. Plus lines don’t stay healthy all year, that’s just a fact. Peat played mostly with an injury I’ve read from Underhill so there is that consideration when we get all angry when we think of Peats performance last year. We just locked up Peat, Warford is on his last year deal, period. Part of me wants more picks, part of me wants to keep him. 

Thoughts? 

Well, my thoughts are that we are going to have to cut someone we like on the interior, so you trade someone.  Currently, between Guard and center, we have in no specific order Peat, McCoy, Ruiz, Warford, Easton, Tom, and Clapp. If I am not mistaken the only one of them can and has played tackle and that is Peat. So if the grades are similar between the 5-7 I say you trade whoever 5 is in the hopes of gaining picks. JMO. No one is trading for Tom as he was resigned and no other offer was on the table. I also do not believe anyone is trading for Clapp. So in my book, either Easton or Warford is the trade bait or should be. I believe Warford may be the most recognizable name, but we did have to bid with other teams for Easton too last offseason. Warford is a pro bowler. I like Clapp and Tom but they are honestly going to just be backups or the Saints would not have invested so heavily on the interior O line the last two years. they are serviceable 6th offensive lineman and good backups. I would personally try to trade Warford as Easton can play guard or center, and you can never have enough versatile o lineman.

The Peat signing makes more sense the more I look at it as a great backup LT and quality guard starter. If healthy maybe he regains pro bowl caliber maybe not. But his arguably the best backup LT in football today. I am not sure how it will roll out and who will play center or guard, but Peat is hands down the best backup LT we have had in a while outside of Bushrod when he took over at LT in 09.

BTW I think Ruiz is going to fit in greatly in the locker room. I am excited to see what our starting 5 is and the depth behind them as this is now the deepest O line in the league hands down. I also believe this will free up a ton of cap space wither with Easton or Warford traded. A clip below of him dancing in the lockerroom.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_XhN_yJfNT/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

OzSaint, faceman and Saint ATN like this

Having depth on the OL is a necessity.   Seems like big guys go down across the NFL.   I don't think you probably get much in a trade for Easton or Warford... all you are going to get is cap space...   The Saints would save about $7m releasing Warford and eat $5 million in dead money.  He restructured just last year, and he had a $750k roster bonus kick in March, so I don't see the Saints releasing or trading him.   Easton is actually signed through 2022.  He has a cap hit of $4.5 million, and the Saints would have $1.5 million in dead money if they release him.   He would appear to be the best candidate to release or trade.  His base goes to $5.5 and $7 million in 2021 and 2022; don't see the Saints paying that for a backup, and having to resign a slew of players in the final year of their rookie contracts.

Saint ATN, Bonckers and boricko like this

10 hours ago, sfidc2 said:

We definitely need to address LB (I have a hunch they may consider trading up for Zach Baun) but Cesar Ruiz is the guy I wanted....Our offensive line is going to be strong and deep...

Want to try to give us some lottery numbers?

louder, OzSaint, Saint ATN and 2 others like this