Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saint ATN

So....Now, what?!?

14 posts in this topic

Here we are, all home. Sports, gone. Returns, dunno. From the looks of LA and what's going on all over the country will there even be a season for NFL this year? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say now, no. Are we really going to subject players to travel from hotel to hotel from venue to venue with no vaccine in place? I just don't see it. I want what was normal back!

It's not coming back. 

If the season is done then Brees signing his contract with NBC is now front and center but not fo the reasons we want. No season, no more Brees, period. That means the Brees era is just pretty much a reality that it's over. No one wanted that this way, no one could have predicted this either. It could have been prevented but we're well past that discussion for now. Here we are where none of us ever imagined, and I feel like we are not even discussing the realities of what's going to not happen much less what might. 

No way we sit in that stadium together this year. I don't see it, do you? The pipe dream of the players playing the game with no people in the stadium is just that a pipe dream without a vaccine. Unless all the players get it and get over it by the time the season starts I don't even think that's doable. Do you think the players want to play against players who they don't know have it or not? Up close and personal, lineman to lineman in each other's faces? Don't even think that's reasonable either. 

Will we even receive our season tickets? Paid for them before this I did, like everyone, they were due prior to this madness enveloping us all. Do we get credit for next year? What happens if they have to raise prices to deal with the realities we're all enduring? $1200 checks are not going to cover such realities by that time either. 

No other league has figured this out yet, but the NFL is going to tease normalcy with an upcoming draft, with no pomp and circumstance even reminiscent of years past. Teams are freaking out for fear they will get hacked prior to or during the said draft. With all hackers home, doing nothing, but sniffing at something as tempting as this seems just too ripe for the picking to turn down, don't you think? Even if a draft does take place, there will be no organized group camps, rookie or otherwise. You really think they're going to take all their new talent and outright expose them potentially without everyone being tested. And knowing that people can test false/positive and positive's falsely due to instability in the testing do you think the NFL has it figured out when no one else has? 

No season, what does that do to free agents and those without contracts? Do they carry over, do they even get paid? Soccer players have taken major pay cuts as their teams cannot survive without income and it's been months and it's going to be months. A lot of talent with nothing to do and nowhere to ply their trade to entertain us. It is what it is, so if the major leagues of the world who play 9 months or more out of the year how will our little quarterly game fair, methinks we're being sold something's that is not going to transpire. 

Sure this could change in a few months, but those months effect much, and each month's loss is a cascade of other issues much more important than sports for all of us. 

I'm not speaking flippantly, my company is open, we are on the front lines helping people daily. My sister is a nurse in MS and she takes care of the elderly in multiple nursing homes and is dealing with the realities of this. My brother is quarantined in his own group home because 3 of his roommates are in ICU in New Orleans due to their getting COVID 19. It's a home for the blind and handicapped, he is majorly exposed. He was tested and is negative now and is on medicines to help his body. It's beyond close to home for me, so I've had other things to ponder and deal with like all of you do. We're all in this together and many of us know people who are struggling either with it or financially suffering because of it. 

That brings us to who will be able to afford to go to games if they were, in fact, allowed in the fall. Unless you're essential and working you're in a tough spot. Even us that is essential-have had to take major pay cuts just to keep open much less, change hours as well. There are uncertain times we've never been thru and all that is certain now is uncertainty. 

Sport comforted us, sport keeps our mind off other things, willfully or not. It's a respite even temporarily from life, a luxury none of us can afford now, so then what happens to it? Does it go on hiatus? With deaths climbing daily and no way for the entire population to get tested for some reason, how can we expect a season? I want to be back in the Superdome too, I just don't know how we can honestly do that this year, I hope I'm wrong and things all magically change for the better, I'm just too much of a realist to honestly think otherwise. 

These are thoughts that pass through my mind that I thought I'd put down to purge my brain of. We are going to get through this, but there are still tough days ahead and I look forward to a day when this isn't a concern and we arrive at clarity enough for us to be able to enjoy sports again. Some won't care what I say, some will laugh it off outright, but some of you it may click as we see the days and months pass. 

WHO DAT!

sailorsaint and nolaspe like this

I have faith that the 2020 season will not be cancelled.  It might be an abreviated season, though. And it might be that games will be played in stadiums where evry 3rd seat in row has a fan in it or in empty stadiums.

Who knows?

I also think we'll have Brees through the 2021 season, to be honest.

Let's not start playing that dirge just yet.

nolaspe likes this

So many thoughts I don't know where to start. I can honestly say I don't miss sports at all. My concerns now are for my wife and I's health. We both work at Keesler AFB and are considered essential. My wife is a line server in the dining halls.She is 62,diabetic and doesn't need to catch this. I work in the store room and the supply warehouse. The only military personnel I come in contact with are inspectors. I'm not in contact with the general population and far less exposed than she is. I can tell you these young airmen don't care. They feel immortal. I understand because I felt that way when I was their age. They still congregate in large groups when outdoors.   

herb, Saint ATN, nolaspe and 1 other like this

" It could have been prevented but we're well past that discussion for now. "

What is meant by that?

" Are we really going to subject players to travel from hotel to hotel from venue to venue with no vaccine in place? "

Are we gonna really rely on the government to supply us with a vaccine? Do we really want to take it if provided? 

Sit in your government provided "ohh, we're all gonna die" places. I think the overblown media and state government reaction is...well, overblown. We're looking at a survival rate of that's higher than this past years flu. n

Hunker down and kiss the government's ass. It's just what they want. I'll not do it.

36 minutes ago, Oscar McBroom said:

" It could have been prevented but we're well past that discussion for now. "

What is meant by that?

" Are we really going to subject players to travel from hotel to hotel from venue to venue with no vaccine in place? "

Are we gonna really rely on the government to supply us with a vaccine? Do we really want to take it if provided? 

Sit in your government provided "ohh, we're all gonna die" places. I think the overblown media and state government reaction is...well, overblown. We're looking at a survival rate of that's higher than this past years flu. n

Hunker down and kiss the government's ass. It's just what they want. I'll not do it.

I'm sorry, I wish it were that simple. It's overblown until it kills someone close to you. Don't look at the % overall death rate. Hospitalizations is the key stat. Front line workers are exposed to what is called "viral load". 

I'm going to paste a response from a member of SR. He's chief of surgery at a VA. hospital. This is his response to another poster saying this is an overblown threat by the media

Not sure why your father's friend has that opinion. I have been consulted on multiple COVID patients and have many friends who are on the front lines. Never have I heard that opinion from an MD. Is he/she also on the front lines and where does he/she practice?

Also people need to stop focusing on asymptomatic rate or mortality rate. We don't know the asymptomatic rate in america unless you test everybody and it is largely being derived from Icelandic studies which is a homogeneous population, not like America. So not sure if it applies. The mortality rate is different and is affected by location, the quality of doctors, the quality of the hospital, and the capacity of that hospital. The mortality rate at our hospital is much lower than some of our hospitals located rurally. Our mortality rate is lower than those in NYC, where they have significantly worse capacity issues.

I care about the hospitalization rate, which is not overblown enough in my opinion. I have treated alot of diseases in my career, and I have never treated anything as vicious and morbid as this. In our hospital system you actually have entire ICUs with just COVID patients this is around 30 people in a single hospital requiring very high level of care from a singular disease. We are averaging 2-4 Code blues a day, when it might be 2-3/week prior to this. And if there are that many asymptomatic patient makes this more alarming and so unpredictable. Even those cured will have long lasting emotional and physical damage.

I am lost at this idea that it is overblow, really. It seems so disconnected from the reality I am seeing. It is quite depressing to hear from my perspective. We have lost 2 healthy young nurses because of COVID, not sure how that can be overblown. I do not post often, but this kind of nonsense, now several weeks into this is starting to hit a nerve. In my years associated with medical practice, never have I seen nurses or doctors who are not in the army die from practicing there job.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:27 AM, faceman said:

So many thoughts I don't know where to start. I can honestly say I don't miss sports at all. My concerns now are for my wife and I's health. We both work at Keesler AFB and are considered essential. My wife is a line server in the dining halls.She is 62,diabetic and doesn't need to catch this. I work in the store room and the supply warehouse. The only military personnel I come in contact with are inspectors. I'm not in contact with the general population and far less exposed than she is. I can tell you these young airmen don't care. They feel immortal. I understand because I felt that way when I was their age. They still congregate in large groups when outdoors.   

Stay safe brother, both you and especially your wife....

There are far too many idiots out there espousing how overblown this all is...

I always keep in mind that statement one of the CDC experts made (can't remember who it was, probably Fauci)...."If we are to be successful in limiting the deaths and the spread of this virus, it should look like we overreacted"

Cheers mate....

27 minutes ago, nolaspe said:

You and your wife stay safe Face, the same goes for everyone here... 

We will Doc and thanks. The main dining hall also delivers means to the isolation barracks . The number has been steadily dropping for the last 5 days. My main concern now Is I believe the Governor is going to lift the stay in place order next week. That's too soon Imo. If he does, we are going to get hit with a 2nd round of infections. China made   the same mistake by opening their factories too soon and are now paying the price/  

sfidc2, Saint ATN and nolaspe like this

On 4/19/2020 at 5:42 PM, faceman said:

I'm sorry, I wish it were that simple. It's overblown until it kills someone close to you. 

Exactly.  Last week a friend of ours, the father of a kid who played youth baseball with my son for years, died of COVID-19.  Overblown my ass.  

Saint ATN, faceman and Drew like this

3 minutes ago, Slidell Saint said:

Exactly.  Last week a friend of ours, the father of a kid who played youth baseball with my son for years, died of COVID-19.  Overblown my ass.  

My oldest brother was hospitalized for Covid-19. Luckily it was a mild case and he is back home and on the mend. (His test came back positive after he was discharged.)

Even though his was a mild case, he said it was the sickest he's ever been in his life.

49 minutes ago, herb said:

My oldest brother was hospitalized for Covid-19. Luckily it was a mild case and he is back home and on the mend. (His test came back positive after he was discharged.)

Even though his was a mild case, he said it was the sickest he's ever been in his life.

he needs to start donating plasma. He now has antibodies that current research believes can help the ones suffering from severe cases

herb likes this

59 minutes ago, Slidell Saint said:

My condolences Jim. This example  is what makes this  so scary. The symptoms range from none to    death. There are literally thousands of asymptomatic carries out there who are spreading this   disease and don't know it What makes me angry is our government knew this was coming. U.S. intelligence reported this outbreak back in November. Our initial response was this is like the flu and warm weather will kill it. That has shown to be false. I know hindsight is 20/20, but we should have been producing testing kits at that time. I would like to be tested,but don't meet the criteria. If we had done this when the outbreak first started in Wuhan, every american could be tested by now. Those who recovered could be working now. Those that haven't could be at home and not in close contact. It's a clusterfark now because we don't know who has it and who doesnt 

Slidell Saint and Saint ATN like this

My deepest condolences as well Jim.

You nailed it Face. My brother is struggling with it and 2 of his housemates are still in ICU. My sister now has it in her nursing home and it struggling to keep sane through all this. I just don’t get the willful ignorance of this administration to do little to nothing and leave it to the states to fend for themselves. This has gotten way out of hand and it shouldn’t have. Other countries have shown the way and we decided, naw, we got this. Now ‘we got this’ so bad we have no clear vision out of it. I’m struggling to stay open as we speak and it’s affecting more and more people around me in a negative way. The response we’re all living under is unacceptable given there are not enough tests to know who has what. This is only going to get worse before it gets better from my perspective. My wife thinks I actually had it in Jan but with no test for me for antibodies, there is no way to know. If I did have it, when i did, it sucked and my lungs were in serious pain. If it wasn’t, well, I’m even more not happy about that. Still, not test to know. 

The draft starts tomorrow and it hasn’t peaked still, we are in unseen territory for the time being with no prognosticating abilities that are worth diddley, currently. 

faceman likes this