Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidell Saint

XFL week 1

16 posts in this topic

Honestly I’m shocked at how many people are at the game in DC.  That’s a solid crowd even if it’s a smaller MLS stadium.

It’s entertaining so far. Very high TV production quality. But the AAF had that same quality and in the end it didn’t mean anything.

But fun so far.

LA at Houston game on Fox has a decent crowd too. And Houston’s helmet bears a strong resemblance to the old Houston Oilers helmet from the 60s and early 70s - silver with an oil derrick on each side. They have an H super-imposed over it, but the Oilers immediately came to mind.

Wonder how the NFL feels about that?

I remember when the NFL forced the CFL Baltimore Colts to change their name in the early 90s.

I guess the Roughnecks helmet is just different enough from the Oilers to get away with it.

The XFL TV deal is way better.

It's being shown on major channels worldwide similar to what we watch the NFL on, so I'm watching it on Swedish TV - I just checked online and it's being shown in the UK and other countries in Europe too.  Canada has it, Australia has it.

The AAF was pretty much North America only which meant if you weren't in that territory you had to find a dodgy stream - then they had that app which was about 2 minutes behind the dodgy stream and over heated my phone!  A really bad experience which was easy to give up on.

Then the start times make a huge difference.  XFL 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. Swedish time, AAF 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. Swedish time.  I go to bed at 2 a.m. so I never watched the second game - and because it was on a dodgy stream, I could never record it either.

You make a great point about stadium size.  The spectator numbers are probably pretty similar, but the impression is given that there's more people there.  And there's actually an atmosphere because of that.

The standard of football is way better too so those spectators will be coming back and probably increasing.  First game was great fun, this game on now has also been great.  I'll definitely be watching again tomorrow for the simple reason there's not the hoops the AAF made me jump through, so all I have to do is switch on my TV.

It's easy for me to see why the AAF went bust and the XFL looks to be on a winner just for the above reasons.

Slidell Saint and Richard like this

OK, looks like they messed up on the stadium size today lol

Meadowlands it is.  Still a nice crowd though.

Edited by Swede Saint

There's a Joe Horn Jr playing for New York!  Cool.  And there's a Tampa Bay QB that just threw an interception on their first drive.  Oh well, Tampa gonna Tampa.

Dale S likes this

Yep.  Decent crowd but Met Life Stadium is huge so it doesn't show well.

I've been impressed so far with the actual football.  Enjoying it.

7 hours ago, Dale S said:

The games I watched I enjoyed but what the deal with the kickoff?

Here's all the rule changes, the kick off is the first one covered in the video.  I didn't notice the 3 second delay though.  I thought the kicking team was moving the moment the returner touched the ball, so they obviously changed it.

I've got to work the next few Saturday evenings which sucks but I'll definitely be tuning in again on the Sunday evenings.  There's plenty of highlights about too which is good.

I watched it out of the periphery as my Barça game was on. The product wasn't bad but wasn't great either. It was entertaining tho but I'll focus more on it next week. It's an early game for my soccer team on Saturday so I'll have the afternoon to peep this more. What I did notice is that I don't miss football anymore. That kinda saddens me as I used to get really down right after the season ended but apparently I'm moving on more than I realized. Nothing, nada, not a pang or thought until I'm sitting here now and kinda going, huh, I'm more excited for the Getafe game than I am for the Saints or football for that matter. My excitement and passion are over there and we're decent this year, not as good as in years past and I'm more knowledgable on the international scene after years of following the game now. Injuries have taken their toll and this is the thinnest Barça bench in years due to it, making for an exciting season as the prior coach was fired last month midseason and replaced with a tactician the player's respect. It's taking some time but it's getting results and ya, you could care less at this point so I'll just walk away. 

Slidell Saint likes this

18 hours ago, sailorsaint said:

There is a lot to like about it, but I'm finding it hard to pick a favorite. And without a favorite, it's hard to get really interested in it.

This! I can't with a good conscious pull for any TB team and geographically they are the closest team to where I live. I just don't know how else to pick a team because I don't want to feel like a fair-weather fan and pick the best team either lol. 

9 hours ago, Bonckers said:

This! I can't with a good conscious pull for any TB team and geographically they are the closest team to where I live. I just don't know how else to pick a team because I don't want to feel like a fair-weather fan and pick the best team either lol. 

I feel the same way.  I can't root for TB because of the division.  I can't root for Dallas because, well, Dallas, even though they are closest to me.  I can't root for LA because of LA.  I can't root for NY because it is natural for me to root against NY teams in all sports.  I've been rooting for St Louis since Jackson Hayes' dad is the coach, but that's just a default.  And Houston because why not.  In the end, I don't really care.  WHen I'm watching, I'm just hoping for quality play.

Bonckers and Saint ATN like this

The same issue, I don't care about any one team. Houston by default. It was entertaining and I again watched out the corner of my eye. The NFL could learn something from their review booth but nothing will happen. It's nice to see transparency, it helps build trust. 

Like y’all I don’t have a dog in the hunt. I’m watching out of curiosity mostly and frankly because there’s not much else on TV on these Feb/March Sunday afternoons.  If a game is good and entertaining I can watch even without a rooting interest.

Some of the games have been good so far, but I’ve switched off others.

I hope it lasts.