Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
louder

Is Brees done?

75 posts in this topic

Teddy Bridgewater is NOT the answer for the Saints. We had our franchise QB in Brees for 14 years and have our next franchise QB already on board. Welcome to your new life Taysom Hill !!!

We're married until the official divorce and we're not the divorcing kind. Nightmare scene for Loomis as you're losing talent, regardless, you keep Brees, Teddy's gone. Teddy's enough of a talent and he proved enough to be signed handsomely by other teams. He's a comeback story that any franchise would be happy to build around. He's not the generational talent he was prior to the injury but he can manage the game and a team and there are low tier teams willing to overpay for that sort of stability. Teddy has also shown his prowess and won over this locker room and shown he could lead this team. I don't believe he's the heir apparent and I'm not 100% sold on Hill 100% at QB. He's too swiss army knife to sit at that thrown, IMO. 

It's Brees's choice and the franchise is on pause to allow him to make his decision. If he retired we'd already know. That man is not ready to retire but at the same time, he has to weigh his options and see what this team could not get him there. We still have missing pieces and some major talent decisions across the board to make. We could not field what we had this year next year, it's not financially viable. We pick now at the 24th position and we have not a lot of cap room, that's reality. Brees is NOT going to come cheap and that's a reality that will decide where else and what else we can do. No one expected us to be here now so the franchise is taken aback, and they have a short time to get it all planned and done. It's going to get ugly people, strap in, it's going to be a long offseason. 

OzSaint likes this

Hunter from the Vikes credited studying the game film from the game where we lost to the failpoops where they attacked the interior of the OL vs the outside b/c of our tackles. They did the same against us and we all saw the result on Sunday, Drew running for his life... 

I don't think he's done, I think our OL weakness was exposed at the game... I'm still hurting about this loss too... 

17 hours ago, nolaspe said:

Hunter from the Vikes credited studying the game film from the game where we lost to the failpoops where they attacked the interior of the OL vs the outside b/c of our tackles. They did the same against us and we all saw the result on Sunday, Drew running for his life... 

I don't think he's done, I think our OL weakness was exposed at the game... I'm still hurting about this loss too... 

This is exactly how I feel. I think SP made a big mistake playing Peat instead of Easton (who had been as solid as a rock), I think that was at least part of the problem as Warford was also getting beat. Brees didn't suddenly change into a has been or already done based on one game where the offensive line shat the bed, folks are really getting ridiculous with this stuff....I think he will play at least one more year maybe 2 if he is healthy....and maybe they work Taysom in alot more next year which I would certainly welcome...I really think if Brees comes back (which I think is about 80%) Teddy will be signed elsewhere, and I will wish him well....

On 1/7/2020 at 10:14 AM, Boris said:

Ok, so whenever I hear the “move on from Brees” chant, which we hear whenever the Saints don’t make it to the Super Bowl, I always think about how life will be with another QB.

First, Brees suffers a serious hand injury, and fights his way back to rehab,  play at a high level and help his team win the division and a 13-3 record.

He leads the NFL in completion %, is second in  Rating, and third in QBR behind Jackson and Mahomes.  He has 27 TDs and 4 INTs, thats 5th in TDs after missing almost 6 games.

So he can’t get us to the promised land?  Well, he didn’t give up the Minneapolis Miracle and didn’t make the No Call, 2 games where he played well enough to win.

Then there is the intangible factor, he is the team leader and this team rallies around him. Brees has helped change Saints culture.  And the chemistry he has with Payton.  

Sure, Sunday wasn’t his best game, but it was a bad overall team performance against a Vikings team that probably played their  best game of the year.

The defects always brought up are that he can’t throw the long ball and can’t run.  I don’t see those things being determining factors in a team’s  success.  I’d like to see how many Super Bowl winners were successful because their QB could throw the ball 50 yards down the field.  And maybe they could, but how many TDS were scored by that method.  Most 50+ plays are due to RAC. 

Well, he’s played pretty well and hardly missed a game for 19 years, and we will see how long the new breed of running QBs can survive.

Sorry, I don’t see a washed up player needing to be sent off. 

I need to see one more record breaking  year and cherish it!

And I will add to this excellent post that being able to throw 50 yards down field only makes you jamarcus russell. Knowing how to read a defense, manipulate a defense with eyes and body, throw exactly where you want the ball and throw your receivers open makes you Drew Brees and he still has it. 

On 7.1.2020 at 10:29 PM, Hermann the German said:

Teddy Bridgewater is NOT the answer for the Saints. We had our franchise QB in Brees for 14 years and have our next franchise QB already on board. Welcome to your new life Taysom Hill !!!

Maybe Bridgewater is not the longterm solutiuon at QB, but neither is TH. Also, I think the role TH is playing at the moment is a difference maker. Several times this season, TH was able to rattle the team and to bring back the focus. Last time in the loss to the Vikings he did it. If we employ him at starter-QB, thsi role is gone. And I doubt, he can be a proball-class QB in this league.

Another point, all of you are willing to forget (omr my memory plays games with me): SP was not able to develop a single QB, that went on to be a starte in this league! And it's not like he hasn't tried to. No Rodgers or Garopollo came from our ranks to carry another NFL-Team, so I really dont know, weher you guys take  the optimism from, that we will easily find a solution, once Drew retires.

The gun slinger likes this

11 hours ago, boricko said:

Maybe Bridgewater is not the longterm solutiuon at QB, but neither is TH. Also, I think the role TH is playing at the moment is a difference maker. Several times this season, TH was able to rattle the team and to bring back the focus. Last time in the loss to the Vikings he did it. If we employ him at starter-QB, thsi role is gone. And I doubt, he can be a proball-class QB in this league.

Another point, all of you are willing to forget (omr my memory plays games with me): SP was not able to develop a single QB, that went on to be a starte in this league! And it's not like he hasn't tried to. No Rodgers or Garopollo came from our ranks to carry another NFL-Team, so I really dont know, weher you guys take  the optimism from, that we will easily find a solution, once Drew retires.

Well, Payton did take a Quincy Carter QBed team to the playoffs in Dallas, and also recruited/signed, and worked with Romo before taking the Saints job. He was even rumored to be trying to trade for Romo before signing Brees. 

Was this Brees last season? I don't know only Brees knows that. If Taysom Hill was hamded the keys to this offense he would not last a full season. Look at his college film,he plays with reckless abandon and he will be 31 next year his role on this team is defined. Teddy can be a very good qb for this team if given a chance. Regardless who is under center next season we have got to improve our guards. McCoy will improve but we have to upgrade our guards and find a future replacement for Armested. I don't know what will happen with free agency man,we got a lot of decisions to make this off season. 

9 hours ago, Saint ATN said:

So do we hamstring our team by signing Brees or do we officially move on and go into rebuild mode? 

Rebuild a 13-3 team? It’s more like tweak it.  Another WR or 2, a couple of good draft picks .. get some players healthy again, like Davenport and Rankins, and I like our chances.

This team was good enough to win a Super Bowl, and a few plays and a coin toss away from it. 

5 minutes ago, Boris said:

Rebuild a 13-3 team? It’s more like tweak it.  Another WR or 2, a couple of good draft picks .. get some players healthy again, like Davenport and Rankins, and I like our chances.

This team was good enough to win a Super Bowl, and a few plays and a coin toss away from it. 

Exactly. Don’t forget the injuries to the online and dline. Those hurt. Next season we will either have Brees or Bridgewater at QB (most likely Brees) but either way this is a Super Bowl contending team. 

3 hours ago, Boris said:

Agreed, well put. I think Brees signs a contract similar to the last one and plays at least 1 more year possibly 2. Health is always an issue, the 9er's dline is now intact and shocker!!!! they stopped the Vikes cold. We need to bolster both lines with quality depth, let Peat walk as he has clearly regressed, I think Easton showed he was capable of holding down that G position. For those clamoring for a 2nd WR, I understand the notion but I also think Deonte Harris and Taysom will be more heavily involved in the passing game next year (especially if Brees comes back which i believe he will)....WR is not as high on the list of needs to me....Oline and dline depth and CB/S are more pressing IMO....

WhoDatinH-town likes this

Sean Payton is live on ESPN this morning. It’s live from New Orleans because of the National Championship Game tomorrow night.

He was asked if he could see Drew Brees in a broadcast booth in 2020. He replied “No. I see him being on our field in 2020.”

The crowd roared.

I think that pretty well settles the matter, no?

OzSaint likes this

I too think he comes back, but nothing is guaranteed. I think honestly the last game will chew at him for a while and I believe even before you factor that he is 95% sure to come back regardless. He is too competitive though to let the playoff game be his last game. Just like Favre was for the Vikings. 

On 1/11/2020 at 10:58 AM, The gun slinger said:

Regardless who is under center next season we have got to improve our guards. McCoy will improve but we have to upgrade our guards and find a future replacement for Armested. I don't know what will happen with free agency man,we got a lot of decisions to make this off season. 

So, you;re asking for guards to take on a a DT and and a blitzing safety? Those only exist in comic books. How about a Rb who can pass block? We missed Ingram here 

Bonckers and OzSaint like this

Our tackles were the ones that got beat from what I saw, but I don;t watch many games live so I could have missed the guards part. 

5 hours ago, Boris said:

absolutely, Peat has to go, we have to sign a whole slew of players all around. The Kamara/Murray backfield doesn't get along and now talk of AK41 taking a WR role are being discussed so that dynamic backfield ain't so dynamic so much. You need another solid WR to balance the offense and take the pressure slightly off MT. Davenport's second injury to his foot may be career-ending and talk of moving him to Jordan's side has been surfacing. A DE without solid feet to push off of, well, that doesn't need explaining. A highly functioning DE ain't cheap and have you looked at our cap room?

You're not fielding the same team next year, period. Move on to another QB and yes you can see quite quickly the band ain't getting back together. We proved the interior line has been exposed and that needs to be addressed with resigning major players, I don't see it happening. Honestly, I've lost faith in this team and their ability to get it done. We got it done in the season, barely and blew our bye seed bye and ate the cheese and choked, again in the playoffs. Brees has put enough doubt in my head that yes, I'm considering moving on completely from him.

Taysom threw the deep balls that were needed, not Brees, he's proven he can't do it anymore to the coaching staff that that is how that is playing out in the playoffs. That 2 qb thing has its limitations and teams know it, it's now a tell. Sure he can run but that's not our bread and butter. We've lost our D coordinator and looking like Glen is going to NY to be their defensive coordinator potentially. That's a lot of moving parts to put together for the 4th season in a row run after our last 3 failed. To me it's too much water to carry, I'd love to see it happen, trust me, I just look at the entire picture and I honestly don't see it happening. The dream will always be there, however reality clouds that exponentially and Brees and age with the loss of major coaching plugs, to me, and the plethora of re-signings it's looking like a pipe dream from here, now. 

louder, Richard and Bonckers like this

73oo0f7pjfa41.jpg

Oh to dream, no way we'd get him but if you're gonna blow up a team and start with a new QB, this kid is worthy of consideration. Wouldn't he be great learning under the master? 

7 hours ago, Saint ATN said:

absolutely, Peat has to go, we have to sign a whole slew of players all around. The Kamara/Murray backfield doesn't get along and now talk of AK41 taking a WR role are being discussed so that dynamic backfield ain't so dynamic so much. You need another solid WR to balance the offense and take the pressure slightly off MT. Davenport's second injury to his foot may be career-ending and talk of moving him to Jordan's side has been surfacing. A DE without solid feet to push off of, well, that doesn't need explaining. A highly functioning DE ain't cheap and have you looked at our cap room?

You're not fielding the same team next year, period. Move on to another QB and yes you can see quite quickly the band ain't getting back together. We proved the interior line has been exposed and that needs to be addressed with resigning major players, I don't see it happening. Honestly, I've lost faith in this team and their ability to get it done. We got it done in the season, barely and blew our bye seed bye and ate the cheese and choked, again in the playoffs. Brees has put enough doubt in my head that yes, I'm considering moving on completely from him.

Taysom threw the deep balls that were needed, not Brees, he's proven he can't do it anymore to the coaching staff that that is how that is playing out in the playoffs. That 2 qb thing has its limitations and teams know it, it's now a tell. Sure he can run but that's not our bread and butter. We've lost our D coordinator and looking like Glen is going to NY to be their defensive coordinator potentially. That's a lot of moving parts to put together for the 4th season in a row run after our last 3 failed. To me it's too much water to carry, I'd love to see it happen, trust me, I just look at the entire picture and I honestly don't see it happening. The dream will always be there, however reality clouds that exponentially and Brees and age with the loss of major coaching plugs, to me, and the plethora of re-signings it's looking like a pipe dream from here, now. 

Glenn is not going to NEw york they picked Miami's D coordinator. We lot s LB coach, not the d coordinator. But I do agree with almost everything here. Peat was the weakest link on the line. The downside to losing him as a player is that he is the best backup LT on the team and maybe the league. So that creates another hole. We do have a lot of moving pieces, and quite honestly this may have been our best last chance time will tell though. If Brees is done the super bowl is closed. We have good pieces, but not enough to compete next year for a super bowl without retooling some players and positions. 

If we let Brees walk I could easily see him repeating Peyton Manning's feat and winnng a SB for another franchise. It would be just the kind of thing that happens to us!

Sadly Brees isn't going anywhere. I say sadly because I feel if we don't let him go and move on we're just prolonging the pain and the inevitable. 3 years in the playoffs, 3 years wondering what happened. He's on the decline and yet still puts up gaudy numbers that no other qb we'll get will be able to do or replicate, I totally get that. I'm not blind although I am technically in one eye.

I'm honestly not ready for the 4th year in a row of this but against my wishes, most likely tomorrow, Payton officially announces Brees returns for another year. "We're gonna give it one more try!" speech will follow and the rebuilding phase will officially start and Payton and Co. will go into their caves and plot who to resign, who to cut and where to prognosticate with the 24th pick in the draft is 4 months away. I don't see the front office nor our owner wanting to move on, just yet, although I feel it would be in everyone's best interests. Just my gut feeling, don't mean squat but Payton will ride this out as long as he can and we're just along for the ride at this point.

They're New Orleans legends, they made us the best we've ever been and possibly the best we've ever been has passed. Let's all try to act surprised next season at this time when we're once again here having this same discussion for the same reasons. Change is inevitable, we accept it or fight it, it seems this franchise is going to go into fighting it.  

Bonckers likes this