Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boris

Michael Thomas is a world apart from his peers...

12 posts in this topic

Thomas came into the league with a chip on his shoulder, being drafted in the second round. He has  been a quiet force for his team.   His biggest deviation from his calm demeanor was pulling out a cell phone a la Joe Horn, which ironically probably brought him more attention than he was getting for his play.   But once he got that attention, and then the contract, he has done nothing but perform at the highest level at his position.   Long TDs are fun to watch, but the number of first downs he garners in tough situations is what wins games.   Without a standout second WR, he gets the coverage put still produces.

And what really separates him from the Odell Beckhams, Antonio Browns and the rest of the "watch me, I am the most important guy, hot dog players", is a true leader, remains humble and a team player.  You see what  those guys produce, controversy and losing.

He is a lot like Colston or a Jerry Rice in that regard, and lets hope he stays that way throughout a long career with the Saints! 

The thing about this kid is I thought trading Brandin Cooks because we had MT was a mistake. I didn't feel we needed Cooks, but I felt he was better than MT. Man was I wrong, and happily. He has done nothing but improve every year and prove that he is who Payton and Curtis Johnson thought who he was when they drafted him. If he stays healthy he could own every record in the books. He goes above and beyond in taking care of his body. Love that he wears black and gold, or Gold and White depending on the week. 

Saint ATN likes this

15 hours ago, faceman said:

I've watched this game for over 50 years. The only Wr.I've seen in his area code when it comes to running routes was Steve Largent. Largent is in the HOF. Thomas is on a fast track there too

As have I old friend. There are 2 things that stand out about MT to me (all of the greats have great hands so not going there):

1) Route running is only as good as the quickness a WR has to elude (quickness does not equal straight line speed)...I haven't looked it up but MT's cone and shuttle and short burst must be outstanding for a WR his size....

2) He has an incredible cagey way of using either arm to keep defenders off of him, it's like a short arm bar or something. I'm guessing he may practice martial arts because it takes incredible strength and technique to do that consistently...most WR's fully extend the arm and sometimes get OPI, can't remember the last time OPI was called on MT...

That is all....Cheers

nolaspe, faceman, Richard and 2 others like this

On 12/25/2019 at 7:58 AM, sfidc2 said:

As have I old friend. There are 2 things that stand out about MT to me (all of the greats have great hands so not going there):

1) Route running is only as good as the quickness a WR has to elude (quickness does not equal straight line speed)...I haven't looked it up but MT's cone and shuttle and short burst must be outstanding for a WR his size....

2) He has an incredible cagey way of using either arm to keep defenders off of him, it's like a short arm bar or something. I'm guessing he may practice martial arts because it takes incredible strength and technique to do that consistently...most WR's fully extend the arm and sometimes get OPI, can't remember the last time OPI was called on MT...

That is all....Cheers

I think his Uncle taught him young. Remember Keyshawn was a physical receiver I imagine he poured into him a great deal of knowledge about the game. Keyshawn played in a time that was easier than Steve Largent but not as easy as now. 

nolaspe likes this