Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boris

Saints vs 49ers - Tough Test

13 posts in this topic

I think of all the games in the past few years, this one will show more about Saints ability to get to the Super Bowl.   The Niners have a good running game and very tough defense.  They are capable of making Drew's life miserable if they can pressure him. 

There are quite of few problems with this match-up today.   We are probably playing without Peat and Armstead.   I know Armstead has a chance to play, but that ankle might not hold up.   

On the defensive side of the ball, the Saints are without two of their starting Linebackers.   This is a bad match-up to be without two of our starters, as the Niners have the top rushing offense in the league right now.  

If the Saints can win this game, it will be the result of a great coaching job, combined with a top performances by Brees and the offense.   The Niners are likely to control the football, so Brees will have to take advantage of his opportunities.    It will be important to get off to a good start, and keep the crowd electric.

The Niners are coming off a tough game and loss vs the Ravens, and are desperate to keep pace with the Seahawks. We will get their best effort.

It is going to be an interesting match-up to see how the Saints counter for their weaknesses in this game.   

Now, on to the Super Dome, and Go Saints!

I'm seeing this to be a low scoring affair to the tune of 23-20 Saints, rest assured, this will be a toe-to-toe slugfest.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

I'm seeing this to be a low scoring affair to the tune of 23-20 Saints, rest assured, this will be a toe-to-toe slugfest.

Oops.

Drew Brees throws 5 TDs and runs 1.  And we still lose.  WTF Payton.  WTF defense.  And I'm not going to talk about the refs.

Slidell Saint likes this

Flat our blew this game, Payton. Bad playcalling to go for 2 out the gate and then to overuse Hill. We had them on their heels and we flat our laid an outright defensive game when it mattered most. Bye #1 seed, with this D we will be home early for Bree's retirement party. Dennis Allen, you got outcoached, Payton you overthought things way too much and it cost you. Loss is on you, the team only helped. They were not prepared, not ready and had to claw all the way to the loss. There was pathetic play when it mattered. The refs didn't do anyone any justice, yet again, but when it mattered, we messed the bed up to the point it should be burned in the backyard at this point. We showed the world we are not playoff ready. We played one of the best teams in the league and we didn't play on par. We played subpar when it mattered and we get the L. AK 41 wasn't getting it done and Murray was but we kept going back to AK, why? Go with the hot hand and we got away from it. We went at the edges when it mattered and they are not a team you do that too, they have too much speed. They have #1 draft picks across that entire line and we got cute when we should have used power. Up 2 solid scores and we not only let them back in the game, we repeatedly fell into their overplay scenarios time and time again and we were our own worst enemy. Their coordinators need a pay raise, ours should donate theirs to the blind. Keep playing D like that and we'll be talking offseason sooner than anyone thought. We had extra days to prepare for this too and we lost with Brees throwing 5 tds, which is pathetic on many levels. There needs to be a time management class for all the heads of every department because how can you rush to a TD against SF when you know they have Robbie Gould as their kicker, they just have to get within the 50. Terrible end of game management by management there. 

Tough loss, but I thought it was a good performance by both teams in a 2 point game that went down to the last play.   Was at the Dome and the fans for both teams were going wild.  Reminded me of a Saints-Giants game a few years ago.

I was surprised with how well our offense played against a good defense, and how poorly our D performed. Brees was outstanding. We gave up way too many big plays.  Not having our two starting LBs didn’t help, but Robertson made some plays. Losing Cook hurt; there were some questionable calls.

At the end of the day, one or two plays, and the game goes our way.  We finally get a stop and Kamara fumbles. A couple of Drive extending penalties.  Kittle turns a 4th and 3 into a 50 yard gain.  We make the last score a little too quickly.........

Agree that we should have used Murray.  And the 2 point try in the first quarter was dumb.

I like our chances; as good as anyone’s. It’s going to be a dogfight for the NFC Championship, regardless of the outcome of this game.

Go Saints! Geaux Tigers!

WhoDatinH-town likes this

Yep this game could have gone either way. There were some questionable calls but the defense was owned.

Going forward it will be tough to get a #1 or #2 seed. Things are very tight this year. 

We have won some close ones too.. if Brees keeps playing like he did today, we have as good a chance as anybody.. but a tough road for everybody ..

... and at the end of the day, it’s just as likely that the refs will decide who wins 

Edited by Boris
fjw70 likes this

Terrible defensive effort. Just terrible. 

Drew Brees had an epic game. 5 TD passes and a rushing TD. But I had to scratch my head at how Payton tried to force plays for both Kamara and Taysom Hill.

As Bill Parcells said about him, he gets the virus. Definitely got it today and outsmarted himself a few times...starting with the early 2 pt conversion attempt.

And I also have to say that I’m disappointed in many of my fellow season ticket holders. I don’t begrudge anyone selling off a game here and there. But there were a diddly-poo ton of 49er fans in the Dome today. Way too many for such an important game. It was disappointing.

... on selling tickets, it was no more 49er fans than the Dallas game. Fans were plenty loud enough.  Another 20,000 wouldn’t of helped our D today!

Tickets and concessions are very expensive; some people need to sell big money games to make ends meet.  If you invest thousands in the Saints, sometimes you need a rebate. 🤪.  

Edited by Boris
Bonckers likes this

One thing I noticed.. I think there were quite a few of the people wearing Niner jerseys that were locals... lots of old school Rice and Montana jerseys... I think they were long time Niner fans from the Super Bowl years that have come out since they are winning, kind of like Laker, Yankee, etc fans... cause they didn’t look like they my came in from the West Coast🤪. Lots walking with Saints fans.

Cowboys game in September vs. 49er game in December with big playoff implications are not the same thing.

Agree that it was a lot of local 49er fans. Group around me had Niner jerseys and LSU hats/jackets/etc.

Still disappointing.  Especially since I had to hear that annoying “Niiiinnneeerrrsss!” cheer behind me! 😁

20 hours ago, Slidell Saint said:

Cowboys game in September vs. 49er game in December with big playoff implications are not the same thing.

Agree that it was a lot of local 49er fans. Group around me had Niner jerseys and LSU hats/jackets/etc.

Still disappointing.  Especially since I had to hear that annoying “Niiiinnneeerrrsss!” cheer behind me! 😁

With regard to the Dallas game, it was the same as to getting good money for your tickets.   Once ticket prices reach a certain level, people will sell.  Hey, the players are collecting millions win or lose, give the fans a break. 

I was fortunate, the Niner fans around me were good sports; and the game went back and forth.   Either team could have wound up on top.

It was one of those games.  Neither defense could stop the other team.  They had the ball last and they made the play to seal it.