Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boris

Lots of Cheap NFC South Tickets

2 posts in this topic

I couldn’t help but notice all the empty seats for the Carolina - Redskins game on a beautiful day in North Carolina.   When you consider all the empty seats and masses of Saints fans for the recent Bucs and Falcons games, it appears that the  NFC South teams have given up on and are not supporting their teams.  Of course the Saints and their fans are the exception.

And I do recall our 7-9 years, the Dome was still filled.  

The Saints and their fans have a connection and the Saints haven't forgotten about it and they treat their ticket fans well. The NFL doesn't benefit from Small markets and relies on the big markets to make up the difference the Saints are really more of the outlier than the actual norm and that is the NFL as a collective whole. Prior to basketball coming back to New Orleans, the Saints were literally IT. Many other small market areas have baseball and basketball teams along with hockey to split the sports revenue overall and interests.

Not many cities were nearly destroyed and had only one team to rally behind thus cementing a bond that goes beyond normal sport. As the team rose so did the city around it. It's rare and we happen to be in that actual parade together. No other team can ebb and flow the way that New Orleans and the Saints do? I've tried to wrap my brain around it. There have been worse tragedies to befall sports franchises like Marshall University or sadly a few soccer teams over the decades. Those communities rallied around them and rebuilt them better than before. The city of New Orleans felt a bit like the Saints helped showed the way to rebuild and not only to rebuild but to prosper again, against the odds. 

I'm sitting here watching Oakland chase away 2 of the 3 sports teams leaving only the A's with baseball. Oakland has chosen baseball, they didn't choose football FWIW, and I expect this trend in small markets to continue. Small markets have become too saturated with other draws or interests as you're seeing soccer teams start in small markets across the US nowadays. They can't afford all the stadiums and the works that go along with them and with the overpricing of seats by fans, why would a fan go there unless they really cared. Then add in new stadiums now come with the rights to purchase the seats prior to getting the actual seats. I know someone that paid nearly 50k for rights and seats to the Raiders in Las Vegas. I don't see how Vegas will be able to support them at those rates. You really have to give major care and have very flexible disposable income which this lawyer can afford but I cannot see the rest of Vegas is that fluid or flexible for that matter. 

Los Angeles has turned into more of a financial boondoggle for the NFL and they have a great risk riding there, with LA tanking to the point the NFL has now took to turning down rumors of the Chargers going to London just the other week. If LA can't support 2 teams, which it is showing it can't, and the Raiders expensive experiment in Vegas, the NFL has maxed its credit with the average fan. The NFL has already shown multiple small markets it doesn't care and outright moved their fanbases against the wills of their fans to markets that aren't that hot about it. That callousness will have lasting repercussions and if these expensive small and large market land grabs that have lefts millions of fans without their team to care about anymore don't pan out then further support for small market teams will wane to the point the NFL will wither on its own vine.

Richard, Bonckers, louder and 3 others like this