Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boricko

Texans at Saints Game Thread

33 posts in this topic

We started off slow, Brees got his interception out of the way and we proceeded to shake off the rust and put it all together when it mattered. Hard fought victory. The preseason one series starting lineup somehow put the pieces together. Allen calls some DUMB defenses at the worst times. Our D collapsed when it mattered, that is concerning. They picked on key personnel early and often and got the desired effects. Gotta clean that up. We had a few keystone cops plays that defy logic for such adept football players but yet there they were before our very eyes missing as their lives mattered. An odd game to watch. Jordan was beasting all game with our other edge rusher flexing occasionally but not consistently. Brees willed this team in that final drive as only he can. Gonna be an interesting season. 

Was very pissed at Drew with the pick, but he came through, Thomas played great, and so did Ram. He deserved a game ball one holding call but kept Watt in check all night. Warford had a couple of fo bad plays, but the line overall played great against a very good front 7. Loved Kamara. I think we need to use Murray more and run him more. The defense needs to move on from Williams PJ looks lost out there every time. 

phil likes this

Deshaun Watson and Hopkins deserve some serious credit, they were fearless. That was a serious OLine we went up against and they held their own much better than I thought we would see. Houston was mocked but seriously, that was a good football team that took us to the ropes and thru 12 rounds and we got the knockdown shot with no time left on the clock. Their D was no slouch either and they did their best to take away our weapons but our new weapons, like Cook, decoyed successfully to get our old weapons, AK41 and MT13 were free to do what they do when they needed to do it. The Texans came into our house and just about pulled off a major victory on Monday night hadn't we snatched it back from them due to our general wearing #9 driving his division downfield with time ticking away. They fought to the end, with heart and really took it to us, we just reached a bit deeper, when it mattered. That's how playoff-caliber teams show up early in the season and the Saints and Brees announced to the entire NFL, watch out, you're going to get 60 full minutes of this team when you play the Saints, you better be ready...or else. 

This one didn't cost us the game, but it easily could have. 

I'm no conspiracy theorist...never bought in to the notion that they are out to screw us or trying to influence the outcome of games.

But damn...it sure seems to keep happening to us, doesn't it?

The NFL referees really need to tighten up their game.  

Saint ATN, bigbrod81 and Bonckers like this

That was a heckuva way to start the season. It looked a lot like some past season openers, missed opportunities, a momentum changing turnover, penalties, giving up big pass plays.  

The Saints turned it around in the second half, only for the defense to let the Texans score on 2 plays to take the lead.

Then Brees works his magic and Lutz sends the fans home happy.

It takes these types of wins for a great year to happen.  This win was huge with the 4 games we have to start the season. Going to be a rough 2 weeks on the road. 

Louisiana has a big weekend vs Texas teams, when you consider the big LSU win. Two very exciting football games.  

Bonckers and Saint ATN like this

Defense was a little rusty, despite the 6 sacks. But in 2017 and 2018 the first  game was also subpar, so Im pretty sure, the D# will be much better from, now on.

Offense was exceptional, especially the O Line play.

All otherf NFC South teams will have trouble with the TExans, thats for sure.

Edited by boricko

15 hours ago, Saint ATN said:

I will save my displeasure with Dennis Allen's (I think Payton has his hand in this as well) play calling in 2 minute situations for later but you have to tip your hat to Watson on that 2 play drive. Both throws were absolute dimes with the game on the line. As a fan of the game, you have to respect that. Kid has ice water flowing through his veins. If he can stay healthy, he will be special.

2 hours ago, bigbrod81 said:

I will save my displeasure with Dennis Allen's (I think Payton has his hand in this as well) play calling in 2 minute situations for later but you have to tip your hat to Watson on that 2 play drive. Both throws were absolute dimes with the game on the line. As a fan of the game, you have to respect that. Kid has ice water flowing through his veins. If he can stay healthy, he will be special.

Like Boricko, I don't see the other 3 NFC South teams fairing as well as we did, I tell ya what. 

Reality is, if Clowney still played for them it would have been worse, potentially, for us than what we got. Watt is an epic player but he got double team washed all game, for the most part, if Clowney suited up, that doesn't happen. Not saying Ramczyk wets the bed, but his night would have been considerably tougher than what he experienced potentially. 

bigbrod81, faceman, Bonckers and 1 other like this

2 hours ago, Saint ATN said:

Like Boricko, I don't see the other 3 NFC South teams fairing as well as we did, I tell ya what. 

Reality is, if Clowney still played for them it would have been worse, potentially, for us than what we got. Watt is an epic player but he got double team washed all game, for the most part, if Clowney suited up, that doesn't happen. Not saying Ramczyk wets the bed, but his night would have been considerably tougher than what he experienced potentially. 

Yes, that's a really good Texans team the Saints beat last night. They would have been much more difficult to block upfront if Clowney was still on their roster. They will take the Falcons, Bucs & Panthers lunch money. 

Bonckers, Richard and Saint ATN like this

I do agree ATN, but they didn't have Clowney in 2015. And hey ate Strief's lunch that day even with help I have seen Watt cleanup on many team's. I Really like Ram. If Armstead and the rest of the boys stay healthy we will have a scary offense all year because of the big boys up front. I saw Peat playing well last night too. 

Saint ATN and bigbrod81 like this

6 minutes ago, Bonckers said:

I do agree ATN, but they didn't have Clowney in 2015. And hey ate Strief's lunch that day even with help I have seen Watt cleanup on many team's. I Really like Ram. If Armstead and the rest of the boys stay healthy we will have a scary offense all year because of the big boys up front. I saw Peat playing well last night too. 

Don't forget McCoy. Heck of a performance in his rookie debut.

boricko, faceman, Saint ATN and 1 other like this

LOL at Adam Schein....."If there is one team where you don't mess up the officiating for in Week 1, it's New Orleans! What a joke!...and....Jameis Winston was the MVP for the 49ers!"

Bonckers and Saint ATN like this