Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saint ATN

Brees dealing with fallout

13 posts in this topic

I saw the original video from Brees.  It simply encouraged Christian students to bring Bibles to school.  That’s it.  It had zero to do with any LGBTQ issues.  

Brees has nothing to apologize for, and I understand his confusion about how his actions are being misrepresented.  He has a right to voice his opinion and express his faith.  

I will disagree somewhat. If you associate yourself with an organization that does not share your values then you open yourself up to being misrepresented. Now he has explained himself it is done as far as I am concerned. But he did need to address the situation. 

1 hour ago, fjw70 said:

I will disagree somewhat. If you associate yourself with an organization that does not share your values then you open yourself up to being misrepresented. Now he has explained himself it is done as far as I am concerned. But he did need to address the situation. 

I truly think whoever signed him up for the video did not doa good enough job of researching the company he did a video for. My best guess is someone said hey can you talk about the bible and it being important for kids to feel ok bringing it to school? I think his assistant could have dug deeper. JMO. 

I am glad he stepped out in front of it as fast as he did though too. 

Saint ATN likes this

17 hours ago, Uptownsaint said:

I stand with Brees.  Don't back down Brees!

Same here. Hate is hate. I'm a christian as well, but never understood the fundamentalist view on homosexuality. The only reference to it in the Bible is in the Leviticus code.That code also says eating pork,shrimp,and catfish are sins as well.  

Saint ATN and Oscar McBroom like this

1 hour ago, Bonckers said:

I truly think whoever signed him up for the video did not doa good enough job of researching the company he did a video for. My best guess is someone said hey can you talk about the bible and it being important for kids to feel ok bringing it to school? I think his assistant could have dug deeper. JMO. 

That's my thought, he has a cadre of people around him doing things, moving things along, someone didn't do their due diligence and got bit in the ass for it and potentially fired for this. Brees has never shied away from his faith, it's part of who he is and as a nontheist, I don't care. All I know is someone tried to play some reindeer games and got exposed for the homophobes that they are. I would have expected nothing less but for him to choose love. 

Bonckers, bigbrod81 and faceman like this

On 9/6/2019 at 11:45 AM, fjw70 said:

My issue with this is that you can easily take "association" too far. And in doing so, who draws the line of where good intentions end and bad intentions start? For example, Chick fil A has similar views as Focus on the Family, but I'll be damned if I stop eating Chick fil A. Does my "association" with Chick fil A align me on the wrong side of the fence? Or what about being a Christian in general and going to church? Since the bible clearly speaks to loving your neighbor as you love yourself while also speaking to the immorality of sexual sin, does my association with the church align me on the wrong side of the fence?

I have never been a fan of guilt by association. I understand the gist of it, but it oftentimes bring forth an unfair judgement similar to what Brees experienced.

Drew, Richard, Saint ATN and 1 other like this

7 hours ago, The X-Man said:

My issue with this is that you can easily take "association" too far. And in doing so, who draws the line of where good intentions end and bad intentions start? For example, Chick fil A has similar views as Focus on the Family, but I'll be damned if I stop eating Chick fil A. Does my "association" with Chick fil A align me on the wrong side of the fence? Or what about being a Christian in general and going to church? Since the bible clearly speaks to loving your neighbor as you love yourself while also speaking to the immorality of sexual sin, does my association with the church align me on the wrong side of the fence?

I have never been a fan of guilt by association. I understand the gist of it, but it oftentimes bring forth an unfair judgement similar to what Brees experienced.

It seems you are setting up some straw men there. Bree’s is a Christian and I am sure he has gone to Chick Fil A, and I do not remember any backlash for that. Giving permission (or at least a rep of his giving permission) to post a video on the website formalizes a relationship with that group. So he did the right thing by making sure he let people know that he doesn’t believe the same things as that group. 

Saint ATN likes this

On 9/6/2019 at 1:55 PM, Bonckers said:

I agree with this entirely...he was ignorant of the situation, he corrected it quickly...

I also agree with X....people make their own personal choices in this regard...I think Chick Fil-A's owners are misguided folks, but I will still eat there from time to time (well maybe not anymore if the Popeyes chicken sandwich ever reappears in this area!!!!)