Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bonckers

Cuts and roster moves thread

34 posts in this topic

That I cannot answer. I remember him as a 1st round talent and questions about him in the head made him fall to the 2nd round. The dolphins are most definitely still in rebuild mode. I don't know if Tunsil was cancer, but rumors were that Still was. But it's hard to walk away from two firsts and a second-rounder as well as clearing salary-cap space. I also read today they got two players a corner and a tackle. Curious who they have that can play LT. Realistically I would have traded Armstead for that if Brees wasn't our QB. Slide Peat over and play Easton at guard. But with Brees no way I make that trade. That team is a lot of players away so gather the picks and rebuild next year. They have a ton of picks to do so, and many expect them to get high compensation picks too. I am really curious how well they build with those picks. Having that many picks is great if you draft right. 

Saint ATN likes this

This article states the belief Kiko was traded was due to scheme fit which if true works out great for us. I read a tweet somewhere that the Dolphins ay be paying part of his salary this year too not sure if that is true. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27514234/sources-dealing-dolphins-send-alonso-saints

Sources: Dealing Dolphins send Alonso to Saints

play

Dianna Russini, Damien Woody, Dan Graziano and Mike Tannenbaum discuss the emotional tones of the final cut day in the NFL. (2:28)

9:09 AM CT
  • wolfe_cameron.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Cameron WolfeESPN Staff Writer

The Miami Dolphins continued their veteran purge Sunday, trading Kiko Alonso to the New Orleans Saints for linebacker Vince Biegel, a source confirmed to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

This comes just one day after the Dolphins traded left tackle Laremy Tunsil, receiver Kenny Stills, a 2020 fourth-round pick and a 2021 sixth-round pick to the Houston Texans for a 2020 first-round pick, a 2021 first-round pick, a 2021 second-round pick, tackle Julien Davenport and cornerback Johnson Bademosi.

Alonso seemed set to move on, as he lost his role as a full-time linebacker in Dolphins coach Brian Flores' new scheme. Alonso cleaned out his locker Friday after returning for Miami's preseason finale at New Orleans, a source told ESPN, preparing for the end of his three-year Dolphins tenure.

Alonso, who was acquired from the Philadelphia Eagles via trade three years ago, started all 46 games he played in Miami, leading the team in tackles in two of his three seasons. He had 125 tackles and three interceptions last season.

Alonso, the 2013 Pro Football Writers of America defensive rookie of the year, has now been traded three times in his career (Buffalo to Philadelphia, Philadelphia to Miami, Miami to New Orleans).

For the Dolphins, this was about parting ways with a player who was no longer a fit for their defense or their long-term future. They gain salary-cap space in the process.

The Dolphins' youth movement is fully underway, with 30 players on the roster who are 25 years or under, including 13 rookies.

Miami found a hidden gem in linebacker Sam Eguavoen this offseason. Eguavoen, who spent the past three seasons in the CFL, played well enough to earn a starting spot in the Dolphins' defense.

Alonso, 29, missed all of training camp and preseason with an undisclosed injury, only returning to practice in the waning days of August. Meanwhile, Dolphins linebacker Jerome Baker took on more of a leadership and communication role on Miami's defense.

A handful of other former starters -- safety T.J. McDonald, defensive tackle Akeem Spence and right tackle Jordan Mills -- were released over the past week by the rebuilding Dolphins.

Biegel, 26, has primarily been a special-teams asset with the Saints in 2018 and the Green Bay Packers in 2017. He was drafted in the fourth round out of Wisconsin in 2017, but the Packers released him in his second season.

The 6-foot-3, 246-pounder was being used as both a linebacker and edge rusher this summer in New Orleans, showing his versatility.

It's unclear how the Saints plan to use Alonso, who played the Will linebacker spot in 2018 after previously playing Mike linebacker. The Saints had a lot of success in 2018 with their starting trio of Will linebacker Demario Davis, Mike linebacker Alex Anzalone and Sam linebacker A.J. Klein. Both Anzalone and top backup Craig Robertson have been dealing with unspecified injuries this summer.

Saint ATN likes this

7 hours ago, nolaspe said:

Kiko put up some good numbers last year so I like this trade, especially since SP didn't get cute and trade away any picks. Man, the Dolphins are a dumpster fire as they trade away players... I heard Kiko has a rep for playing dirty? Is that true? 

I believe he just about decapitated Flacco as he was sliding after a run.  That’s all I know about.  

Saint ATN likes this

Ok, this is interesting curious if Taysom lines up at TE come week 1. 

triplett_mike.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Mike TriplettESPN Staff Writer 

Sean Payton called veteran safety/special teamer Chris Banjo "the most difficult" cut the Saints made over the weekend and emphasized the door is not closed to a possible future return. "He epitomizes what we want in a player," Payton said. … Also notable on roster cuts, Payton said the Saints were comfortable going with only two TEs on the roster since backup QB Taysom Hill is also a pseudo-TE in his versatile role.

Saint ATN likes this

Also good news. So Kiko is a backup week 1. 

triplett_mike.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Mike TriplettESPN Staff Writer 

Sean Payton said the Saints expect starting middle linebacker Alex Anzalone to be ready for Week 1 after dealing with an unspecified injury through much of the preseason. Payton said top backup linebacker Craig Robertson will be more "day to day" to start the season. But he said the trade acquisition of veteran LB Kiko Alonso on Sunday was more about Alonso's availability and the chance to add "another good football player." Payton said they will figure out Alonso's role as the season progresses.

Saint ATN likes this