WhoDatinH-town

Espn article on Brees

9 posts in this topic

Well at this age the decline is coming. Whether it is this year or not is anyone’s guess. There is a reason the Saints wanted to keep Bridgewater. Hopefully Brees can have a really strong season and end it with a SB win. Then he can decide at that time if he wants to leave on his own terms. 

Richard, Bonckers, faceman and 1 other like this

Wow, quite an analysis......but I think it’s futile.

..I think Brees like every human being, will have diminished skills as he ages.  I think he compensates with experience and intelligence .. and I think Payton makes a game plan that fits Bree’s skill set. The running game and check downs to Kamara play a big role, and I think the upgrade at TE will help.   Having a good defense (playing from a lead or at least not from behind) plays a huge part in Brees’s success... as we had a horrible defense for several years.  Special teams and field position is important.

And what normally decides games is simply making plays, missed blocks, dropped passes, dropped ints, missed penalty calls, or allowing a long TD pass on the last play of the game ..., change a couple of plays and the Saints are in 2 Super Bowls, and all this talk about Bree’s demise goes away.

Its not all about Brees, nor is it about how far he can throw the ball.  He still has a live and accurate arm, and when he doesn’t he will retire.

3 hours ago, Boris said:

Wow, quite an analysis......but I think it’s futile.

..I think Brees like every human being, will have diminished skills as he ages.  I think he compensates with experience and intelligence .. and I think Payton makes a game plan that fits Bree’s skill set. The running game and check downs to Kamara play a big role, and I think the upgrade at TE will help.   Having a good defense (playing from a lead or at least not from behind) plays a huge part in Brees’s success... as we had a horrible defense for several years.  Special teams and field position is important.

And what normally decides games is simply making plays, missed blocks, dropped passes, dropped ints, missed penalty calls, or allowing a long TD pass on the last play of the game ..., change a couple of plays and the Saints are in 2 Super Bowls, and all this talk about Bree’s demise goes away.

Its not all about Brees, nor is it about how far he can throw the ball.  He still has a live and accurate arm, and when he doesn’t he will retire.

Agreed 100%. If one has watched closely, you can see the decline in arm strength in both Brees and Brady. Both attack underneath with intelligence and accuracy now. Ted Ginn has outran several deep passes the last two seasons. The first pass in the Eagles playoff game was underthrown and picked off. 5 years ago, Brees hits Ginn in stride and it's an easy Td. 

OzSaint, Saint ATN, Richard and 2 others like this

Perhaps this isn't an apt analogy but I'm going with it for now-QB's, like pitchers, are effective if they keep their pitch count low so they maintain their control and nuance. When you pass too much over a period of time, your arm gets tired and it's tougher to summon up the slider, as it were, when you need it. Early in the season, Brees arm was fresh, but towards the latter part of the season, his repertoire began to get limited due to a tired arm. There's no doubt he's in better shape than Brady, but they need to work his pitch count better to keep him fresh for the back end of the season.

Bonckers likes this

15 hours ago, Richard said:

Perhaps this isn't an apt analogy but I'm going with it for now-QB's, like pitchers, are effective if they keep their pitch count low so they maintain their control and nuance. When you pass too much over a period of time, your arm gets tired and it's tougher to summon up the slider, as it were, when you need it. Early in the season, Brees arm was fresh, but towards the latter part of the season, his repertoire began to get limited due to a tired arm. There's no doubt he's in better shape than Brady, but they need to work his pitch count better to keep him fresh for the back end of the season.

Brian Baldinger was a guest on WWL. yesterday. He said the same thing. 

Bonckers likes this

22 hours ago, Boris said:

I guess players are looking at padding stats for records and incentives, but I really don’t understand why QBs have to play the entire game when the game in in hand.  Seems like you could rest older players like Brees and Brady.

I remember reading an article as a kid back in the 70s. It predicted that we would see "relief" quarterbacks in the future, similar to relief pitchers in baseball.

I always wondered why such a thing didn't ever really happen. 

23 minutes ago, phil said:

I remember reading an article as a kid back in the 70s. It predicted that we would see "relief" quarterbacks in the future, similar to relief pitchers in baseball.

I always wondered why such a thing didn't ever really happen. 

On the surface this makes good sense....no point in leaving the starting QB out there when the game is in hand....but....then I think there are only 16 games (and if a team is good enough a few more)....great players always want to play....that said I'm not opposed to Bridgewater taking over late in games that are in hand, in fact, I hope it happens frequently this year....