Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chuck

Mora interviews Payton

20 posts in this topic

This is a great interview between the two longest tenured and winningest coaches this franchise has ever had.  Everyone can learn a thing or two from it.

https://www.wdsu.com/article/exclusive-sean-payton-jim-mora-gets-candid-on-careers-with-saints-in-must-see-interview/28577445

Well worth watching! Payton is right about how much the game has evolved over the years-on the field and within the organization. There is so much more attention to details in all aspects of preparation year round. We hit the lottery getting Payton, period!

Saint ATN and Bonckers like this

Fun watch. The two most successful Saints coaches ever together, talking, you don't see that EVER! 

Mora is up there but still there mentally. Payton looks delighted until the end when you'd think he'd be himself he straight up went humbly took his lumps and even self deprecated.

Just hearing Mora talk about two a days and Payton wowing him with the depth of staff and all the many of today's challenges. It's a totally shifting game year to year and their conversation brought to mind the many changes we've seen over the years. Nice to see Mora still follows the Saints and even he is enamored with Payton's schemes. A nice breakdown from Payton about his attacking offensive schemes and how they attack the defenses the same way defenses used to. Very interesting breakdowns. 

Slidell Saint and Bonckers like this

I find this highly ironic. One of the worst, most conservative on the field coaches interviewing one of the gutsiest, progressive, pedal to the metal coaches....there is a reason Mora never won a playoff game despite having one of the best defenses in NFL history and Peyton Manning (albeit early in Mannings career)....

I know I"m in the minority here but I can't stand Jim Mora, he wasted those great defenses, teams that should have been competing for championships...

Saint ATN and bigbrod81 like this

On 8/2/2019 at 8:10 AM, sfidc2 said:

I find this highly ironic. One of the worst, most conservative on the field coaches interviewing one of the gutsiest, progressive, pedal to the metal coaches....there is a reason Mora never won a playoff game despite having one of the best defenses in NFL history and Peyton Manning (albeit early in Mannings career)....

I know I"m in the minority here but I can't stand Jim Mora, he wasted those great defenses, teams that should have been competing for championships...

Jim Mora did a lot to change the franchise from a perennial loser to having the first winning season & first playoff appearance but Mora is why I hate conservative head coaches. They can win in the regular but their playing everything close to the vest, always cost them in the playoffs. As a head coach, you have to have balls of steel & take risks when games are close & the teams are evenly matched. It's one of the things I love most about Payton. His gambles may not always payoff but I love the go down fighting mentality.

I had a little league coach who would tear into us for watching a called third strike go by. He would tell us that you can't hit the ball with the bat on your shoulders. GO DOWN SWINGING!!! SWING THE DAMN BAT!!! Those words still mean a lot to me in my everyday life. Be aggressive & don't be afraid of failure.

Edited by bigbrod81
Bonckers, faceman and Chuck like this

Mora was a defense oriented coach.  He made the same mistake a lot of defensive oriented coaches make.  He forgot about the offense.  His defenses were always stacked but his offenses were pitiful.  He played not to lose instead of playing to win. He always relied on his defense to do what the offense couldn't do.  When his defense failed he had no offense to take up the slack. It usually happened in the playoffs, where you need to have a competent offense.  He never did.  Whenever you play not to lose, you usually end up losing.

8 hours ago, louder said:

Had Mora fired Carl Smith and replaced him with a competent OC, the Saints would have at the least won a playoff game or had a shot at a Championship.  

Carl Smith.....the name my nightmares are made of

17 hours ago, louder said:

Had Mora fired Carl Smith and replaced him with a competent OC, the Saints would have at the least won a playoff game or had a shot at a Championship.  

Carl Smith was no genius,but he takes too much blame for our failures during the Mora era. Name one blue chip offensive player we had during his time here. I'll wait because the answer is none. 

bigbrod81 likes this

Carl Smith was so predictable. Ruben Mayes and Dalton hillard were good running backs. Not in the Barry Sanders/emmit Smith tier, but they were not slouchers. Bobby hebert, as much as I can't stand him, was at least as good as brad Johnson was when he won the super bowl. 

Hoby Brenner was a blue chip TE.

Bonckers likes this

3 hours ago, faceman said:

Carl Smith was no genius,but he takes too much blame for our failures during the Mora era. Name one blue chip offensive player we had during his time here. I'll wait because the answer is none. 

This. Finks & Mora deserve most of the blame for the offensive woes during that era. They built a team around a great LB corps & solid run game yet they completely ignored the offensive skill positions. Those two had similar personalities & the Saints organization at the time was a reflection of their personalities. Finks was also a tight old miser.

On 8/3/2019 at 3:51 PM, louder said:

Maybe, but he didn't, he wanted an ultra conservative play caller, there was no way Mora was going to hire a Sean Payton type OC :)

5 hours ago, WhoDatinH-town said:

Carl Smith was so predictable. Ruben Mayes and Dalton hillard were good running backs. Not in the Barry Sanders/emmit Smith tier, but they were not slouchers. Bobby hebert, as much as I can't stand him, was at least as good as brad Johnson was when he won the super bowl. 

Exactly, they had a pretty good offensive line and Eric Martin was a pretty good receiver as well, so was Quinn Early (they played at least a few years together)...

I think they had the offensive personnel to go alot further than they did, with an innovative play caller...IMO...of course we will never know....

26 minutes ago, sfidc2 said:

Maybe, but he didn't, he wanted an ultra conservative play caller, there was no way Mora was going to hire a Sean Payton type OC :)

Exactly, they had a pretty good offensive line and Eric Martin was a pretty good receiver as well, so was Quinn Early (they played at least a few years together)...

I think they had the offensive personnel to go alot further than they did, with an innovative play caller...IMO...of course we will never know....

Eric Martin could be timed with a sundial. He was a possession  receiver and not a deep threat. Dalton Hilliard was a tough inside runner,but he wasn't going to break off a 75 yd td run. Hoby Brenner was not a blue chipper. We went from George Rogers in 81 until Deuce in 01 without a offensive player an opposing defense had to fear 

6 hours ago, WhoDatinH-town said:

hmmn, no he wasn't. He was basically a OT running routes 

3 hours ago, faceman said:

hmmn, no he wasn't. He was basically a OT running routes 

He was, but in those days TEs were usually OTs who blocked and occasionally ran routes. You can't compare him to jimmy Graham or Tony Gonzales. He made the pro bowl, if I remember correctly and was what I'd consider a solid blue chipper, not great, but solid

Bonckers likes this

18 hours ago, faceman said:

Eric Martin could be timed with a sundial. He was a possession  receiver and not a deep threat. Dalton Hilliard was a tough inside runner,but he wasn't going to break off a 75 yd td run. Hoby Brenner was not a blue chipper. We went from George Rogers in 81 until Deuce in 01 without a offensive player an opposing defense had to fear 

Steve Largent and Charlie Joiner had no straight line speed either...Martin got open...Rogers was a great runner but Hilliard was way more dynamic, better receiver and better in pass pro....Agree on Brenner though....I will always believe with a better OC and schemes they would have contended....

2 hours ago, Boris said:

If only we had Mora’s defense with Payton’s offense ........it would have been... “did it to ya”, instead of “woulda, coulda, shoulda”🤪

That would be a hell of team.  Especially if we added Mora's kicker and Payton's punter to that team.  Hell, would Morestead ever kick on that team?

9 minutes ago, sailorsaint said:

Would Morten Andersen be considered a "blue chipper"?

didn't score Td's .We had decent Rb's in Mayes and Hilliard,but never had the Wr. who could stretch the field.