Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nolaspe

MT and Saints working on new contract...

29 posts in this topic

Great, they can get it out of the way. I am a little concerned about the cap with Jordan, Brees, MT, etc. But in Loomis I trust. 

nolaspe likes this

The upfront cap number yes, but signing bonuses are spread out for the length of the contract. So at some point you have to pay the piper. There will be a time to pay for what they have done in Brees contract. As of right now if Brees does not resign there will be 20+ million in dead cap space next year if he doesn't resign or retires. So that is my concern. You can only kick the can down the road for so long. If we have 20 million alotted for Brees, and the same for Thomas, and 15+ for Jordan all due next year no money to find a QB or resign Teddy, etc. 

nolaspe likes this

2 minutes ago, Bonckers said:

The upfront cap number yes, but signing bonuses are spread out for the length of the contract. So at some point you have to pay the piper. There will be a time to pay for what they have done in Brees contract. As of right now if Brees does not resign there will be 20+ million in dead cap space next year if he doesn't resign or retires. So that is my concern. You can only kick the can down the road for so long. If we have 20 million alotted for Brees, and the same for Thomas, and 15+ for Jordan all due next year no money to find a QB or resign Teddy, etc. 

Drew Brees’ dead money cap hit, whenever it happens, will be worth every penny  given what Drew Brees has done for this franchise. 

And honestly Loomis seems to work miracles with the cap, so I think we will be good.

Loomis does not get the respect he deserves. He has worked miracles with limited cap space and some how he always able to fit big time contracts under the cap and it just boggles my mind.

13 hours ago, Slidell Saint said:

Drew Brees’ dead money cap hit, whenever it happens, will be worth every penny  given what Drew Brees has done for this franchise. 

And honestly Loomis seems to work miracles with the cap, so I think we will be good.

Oh, I'm not arguing that it would have been worth it, just concerned about what happens to the team when it does hit. Because that bill will come due soon. I honestly would be less concerned if it is next year. If it is not it may come at the expense of some of our core younger players like Kamara, and Lattimore, Ram, etc. Next year is the last real year we can absorb it. The only two players I can think of that come due for contracts that are currently starters are Peat and Marcus Williams. 

being reported they are far apart wondering if it is the length of the deal or the guaranteed money .becuase if the Saints are willing to make him the highest player what more could it be besides those two things. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/19/report-michael-thomas-saints-far-apart-on-new-deal/

Report: Michael Thomas, Saints “far apart” on new deal

Posted by Josh Alper on June 19, 2019, 11:33 AM EDT

gettyimages-1093784872.jpg?w=560&h=316&c
Getty Images

A report on Tuesday indicated that the Saints and wide receiver Michael Thomas are “progressing” toward a new contract, but word on Wednesday is that there’s still a way to go.

Jeff Duncan of NOLA.com reports that the two sides are “far apart” in negotiations for a new contract and that no deal is imminent at the moment. Duncan adds that both Thomas and the Saints are “motivated” to get a deal done before training camp opens next month, so there figure to be more conversations focused on getting the ball moving.

Thomas is looking for a new deal at the same time as Julio Jones, A.J. Green and Amari Cooper. One member of that group of star wideouts landing a deal may help smooth the way for the others, but no one has taken the plunge yet and we’ll have to wait to see which one will leap first.

Thomas has more catches through three seasons than any other wideout in NFL history and said recently that he feels “pretty certain” all will be taken care of in a timely manner.

Oscar McBroom likes this

I would think the time is running short on this. They are willing to make him the highest paid, but he wants crazy money and that is concerning a little. Highest paid currently is 18 million roughly and he wants 22 million a year. That's a big difference. 

I have a feeling his agent is using Drew's window as leverage in this and is stalling, waiting to see what kind of deal Julio gets to set the mark. MT better be careful because Loomis will teach him a lesson quickly-you don't hold Loomis hostage!  I'd imagine plan B is already in place if MT"s agent tries to pull an Ingram.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

I have a feeling his agent is using Drew's window as leverage in this and is stalling, waiting to see what kind of deal Julio gets to set the mark. MT better be careful because Loomis will teach him a lesson quickly-you don't hold Loomis hostage!  I'd imagine plan B is already in place if MT"s agent tries to pull an Ingram.

Plan B is the franchise tag.

The gun slinger likes this

My thoughts on extending MT have changed a bit. If he wants to be the highest paid WR in the NFL (22 million a year) and his agent won't budge? I would not at all be opposed to letting him play out his contract and then franchise tagging him next year. As great as he is WR is way down the list of positions I think are most critical...teams that have won the SB in recent times don't have top 3 WR's typically....I prefer that we invest in the oline and defense, and resign Kamara if it comes to it....

Bonckers, Drew and faceman like this

3 hours ago, sfidc2 said:

My thoughts on extending MT have changed a bit. If he wants to be the highest paid WR in the NFL (22 million a year) and his agent won't budge? I would not at all be opposed to letting him play out his contract and then franchise tagging him next year. As great as he is WR is way down the list of positions I think are most critical...teams that have won the SB in recent times don't have top 3 WR's typically....I prefer that we invest in the oline and defense, and resign Kamara if it comes to it....

As fans we always think we need that top WR but as you pointed out, history does not prove that to be true.

Bonckers and faceman like this

I am all for locking him even up to 19 million but not at 22 million a year. I think as it gets closer he will come down in price. I was curious as to why he kept firing agents. It could be because they all told him he was nuts for wanting that kind of money. 

I believe he signs for 20 million/yr when it’s all said and done.  

You don’t let elite players walk.  Especially game changers like MT.  I’ve seen him, AK, and Drew put this team on their backs, and carry this team to the win.  Those three, along with Cam Jordan step up. Always.  

Over the years, I’ve always thought the biggest hurdle this team faced was a lack of playmakers.  Let’s keep one that impacts games and is a huge part of our offense.  

Slidell Saint likes this

IDK louder that's a lot of money when you have to pay a QB too. 45 million between a QB and WR is almost 25% of the cap. Most team's don't do that. Maybe to two position groups, but we still have 9 mill in Bridgewater. I do hope we keep him and can find a way, but this would have to be Brees last year if that is the case. 

37 minutes ago, Bonckers said:

IDK louder that's a lot of money when you have to pay a QB too. 45 million between a QB and WR is almost 25% of the cap. Most team's don't do that. Maybe to two position groups, but we still have 9 mill in Bridgewater. I do hope we keep him and can find a way, but this would have to be Brees last year if that is the case. 

I really believe that this is Brees’ last season.  One final push for a Lombardi.  Then sign Bridgewater to a decent, but not backbreaking deal.  I think that’s possible.  Then continue to draft well.  Build around Teddy at that point.   MT is a part of that.  

The gun slinger likes this

19 hours ago, louder said:

I believe he signs for 20 million/yr when it’s all said and done.  

You don’t let elite players walk.  Especially game changers like MT.  I’ve seen him, AK, and Drew put this team on their backs, and carry this team to the win.  Those three, along with Cam Jordan step up. Always.  

Over the years, I’ve always thought the biggest hurdle this team faced was a lack of playmakers.  Let’s keep one that impacts games and is a huge part of our offense.  

Correction...you've seen the offensive line put this team on its back, allowing Brees, AK and MT to shine...the biggest hurdle this team has faced has been keeping the offensive line healthy, hopefully we have better depth this year (and hopefully we don't need it).

If MT signs for 20mil a year I guess I'm ok with that but dominant offensive lineman are more valuable than WR's IMO...

My feelings on MT have changed a bit, I'd be totally fine with letting him play out his contract and franchising him if necessary.....

Bonckers likes this

On 7/4/2019 at 3:26 PM, Drew said:

As fans we always think we need that top WR but as you pointed out, history does not prove that to be true.

I might be wrong,but I believe the 2003 Eagles were the last team to play in a SB with the leagues highest paid Wr.( Terrel Owens ) 

On 7/4/2019 at 0:15 PM, sfidc2 said:

I love MT,but we have some hard decisions coming. I believe Kamara,Lattimore,and Ramczyk are more important for the long term future.