Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nolaspe

Womens' World Cup...

24 posts in this topic

I was about to post about this too.  I just finished watching it a few minutes.  13-0, and it could have been worse.  The US was denied 2 first half penalties.  I don't understand what the point of replay is if they can't get that call right.  But I guess it didn't matter.  And there was an offside goal legitimately denied too.  10 second half goals.  That is insane.  That's a record that may never be broken unless they expand the tournament to 32 teams someday.

I caught it at 2-0 then moved onto meetings. Either they're going to win it all or are going to be beyond embarrassed in an L. That is a score that shouldn't happen and Thailand is a terrible team and the score beyond reflected that. Not saying the team isn't great, it is, however, this is way too lopsided for anyones taste. I really felt for the Thai coach, you selected your best team from your country and you couldn't produce a point or literally stop the opposition. Coaches have been literally killed for less. 

When should a team pull up? Should a team relax when they are this dominant? The US coach needs to make sure this doesn't go to their heads either. It's a fine balance and one that will be judged going forward. 

IDK that's a tough call. I didn't watch the game but if it was 3-0 at the half that sound more like Thailand quit than our team pouring it on. I think at this point I don't blame the team for playing how they did. This is the world cup and no one is here to make people feel good this is a competition. Like in college football if it is 58-0 sorry move on. I don't have a problem with how it was done. 

Wow, what a game... Rapinoe gets her 2nd brace of the tourney and is now tied w/ Morgan w/ 5 goals total. 

Dunn was an absolute monster on defense going against Diani showing no quit even when she'd get beat. 

England is next on Tuesday...

Bonckers and Slidell Saint like this

I've never been more proud of a US soccer player than I was of Rapinoe yesterday. Her performance exceeded any reasonable expectation of a game played well...it was an epic performance, one for the ages...that girl left every ounce of will and determination she had on the field...the last 5 minutes she was on the field she was non-stop energy...

Bonckers, nolaspe and Slidell Saint like this

Solid save and some tight minor mistakes by England keep the US at 2-1 with a solid W. Seriously it was a tight game all around, rather a foul fest and the ref called it pretty even IMO. VAR is holding up well in this Cup well. 

It's final time now, officially!

nolaspe likes this

Naeher was the player of the match. That PK save was everything along w/ that insane save she had earlier. Morgan getting a goal on her bday was awesome and so was Press finally getting one. Rose Lavelle is the future and a national treasure. 

Edited by nolaspe

21 hours ago, nolaspe said:

What. A. Game. Pinoe goes out on top and Rose Lavelle is going to be a superstar... congrats ladies!

Thanks for posting man. So happy we have one soccer team that represents this country that is great and fun to watch...One correction Rose Lavelle IS a superstar....

nolaspe likes this

First off, PAY THEM, they deserve equal pay to what the men's squad get, period, end of that story. 

The women crushed it and they had their moments all tourney long, but they were the strongest overall. Depth matters and this team has it across the board. Any of these ladies could easily start on any of the other teams, these are the backups I'm speaking of. They deserved the win and they played with confidence all along. They knew they were the ones to beat and they took on all challengers, some very tight, some absurd, yet in the end more hardware for the team and an epic 4th in a row. Can't say that of the men's team. 

Speaking of the men's team, they tried yesterday and could have had a few early goals but they can't seem to put it in. The US men's midfield is terrible, they are all together bunched and no one has the speed. I've gotten spoiled watching Barcelona as they have one of the best midfield in the game and it shows with results follow. We have decent forwards the problem is the midfield is so dreadful they have to play so deep, you can only go to the well so many times. The defenders did well all game but gave up the one and that was all Mexico needed. Our forwards were gassed and the wings were just too slow. Sloppy passes at inopportune times cost them precious possessions. Something the women committed very few of. The women's team has midfield and wing talent and it showed all tournament long. The women's team is solid across the board the men are very not. The US talent is not at the international level yet. 

Yet is a keyword and one I'll hang on as the US team gave Mexico fits on defense for 99% of the game. I could not say this of performances in the past where I felt that the US men's team is well on its way. It still needs speed and accuracy in the midfield that brings the game forward this team will compete at a high level. Soccer has a foothold in the US and the big European teams are here prospecting and searching for talent finally. It's only a matter of time until the men's team reaches the world cup and competes well into the tournament much less win it. They will reach great heights but nowhere near what the women's team has done or accomplished. 

This will inspire more women's league players and who knows maybe that league will expand into the US. Barcelona has one, yet Real Madrid do not, so even at the world level it is not supported as well as the men's teams yet the men's teams have nearly 100+ years behind them and that matters. Futbol is gaining in popularity, they even roped me in after the NFL pushed me out and it's only going to grow and the ratings proved even more so, the women's teams ratings beat anything our men have done. It's time the men got a paycut and the women got a worthy raise and sponsorship along with equal representation. They've earned it. 

nolaspe likes this

16 hours ago, Saint ATN said:

First off, PAY THEM, they deserve equal pay to what the men's squad get, period, end of that story. 

The women crushed it and they had their moments all tourney long, but they were the strongest overall. Depth matters and this team has it across the board. Any of these ladies could easily start on any of the other teams, these are the backups I'm speaking of. They deserved the win and they played with confidence all along. They knew they were the ones to beat and they took on all challengers, some very tight, some absurd, yet in the end more hardware for the team and an epic 4th in a row. Can't say that of the men's team. 

Speaking of the men's team, they tried yesterday and could have had a few early goals but they can't seem to put it in. The US men's midfield is terrible, they are all together bunched and no one has the speed. I've gotten spoiled watching Barcelona as they have one of the best midfield in the game and it shows with results follow. We have decent forwards the problem is the midfield is so dreadful they have to play so deep, you can only go to the well so many times. The defenders did well all game but gave up the one and that was all Mexico needed. Our forwards were gassed and the wings were just too slow. Sloppy passes at inopportune times cost them precious possessions. Something the women committed very few of. The women's team has midfield and wing talent and it showed all tournament long. The women's team is solid across the board the men are very not. The US talent is not at the international level yet. 

Yet is a keyword and one I'll hang on as the US team gave Mexico fits on defense for 99% of the game. I could not say this of performances in the past where I felt that the US men's team is well on its way. It still needs speed and accuracy in the midfield that brings the game forward this team will compete at a high level. Soccer has a foothold in the US and the big European teams are here prospecting and searching for talent finally. It's only a matter of time until the men's team reaches the world cup and competes well into the tournament much less win it. They will reach great heights but nowhere near what the women's team has done or accomplished. 

This will inspire more women's league players and who knows maybe that league will expand into the US. Barcelona has one, yet Real Madrid do not, so even at the world level it is not supported as well as the men's teams yet the men's teams have nearly 100+ years behind them and that matters. Futbol is gaining in popularity, they even roped me in after the NFL pushed me out and it's only going to grow and the ratings proved even more so, the women's teams ratings beat anything our men have done. It's time the men got a paycut and the women got a worthy raise and sponsorship along with equal representation. They've earned it. 

I have to disagree that the midfield is terrible. Bradley is terrible and why Berhalter insists on trying to run the attack through him and play from the back astounds me. He absolutely cannot defend, he doesn't have the foot speed or worse he is just defensively lazy...the young midfielders I have hope for (Pulisic will be a star, McKinnie has really come on, Arriola is a bulldog, a fighter, Tyler Adams needs to get on the field)....Zardes is another huge WTF, he doesn't belong on the field, he has zero soccer skill or anticipation, he is just a body out there...if Berhalter continues to trot Bradley and Zardes out there I will have lost faith in the coaching staff to make sane decisions....

The back 4 is still a bit shaky, Yedlin coming back should help but I think we are one decent solid center back, a midfielder to replace Bradley and a dynamic striker (which admittently don't grow on trees) away....the core is there, just need a few more pieces and for the US coaching staff to get a clue....

Saint ATN, Bonckers and nolaspe like this

As is, IMO, terrible, it doesn't mean there aren't terrible players and I agree Pulisic will be a star, but one star on your midfield don't make it a solid midfield either. McKinnie needs to show consistency more, Arriola isn't bad and needs time with better players to improve. Adams is a mystery to me until I see more. Bradley and Zardes have inconsistent vision and their short time decision making is questionable at times when they should be pushing the ball forward they pass back instead, and you're right Bradley cannot defend to save his life. You're also correct, he's slow and sloppy and lazy with some passes at inopportune times. Berhalter has a vision but doesn't have the personnel yet to capitalize on it. 

You call the back 4 shaky and they held together quite well against Mexico many times. They gave up the point but they fought all game and gave Mexico fits the entire time. Honestly, I need to see more of them, what I saw caught my eye but didn't impress besides defensively and they gave themselves a few chances early that just couldn't find the net. 

We agree a core is there but to find a homegrown dynamic striker is going to be challenging as it is and now with the big EU clubs keeping tabs on things stateside and setting up training academies it's going to get even harder. That talent will be plucked to Europe 9 out of ten times, we just gotta hope for the 10th to slip thru those cracks. He doesn't exist currently, that could change in the near future. 

Slidell Saint likes this

On 7/9/2019 at 4:24 PM, Saint ATN said:

As is, IMO, terrible, it doesn't mean there aren't terrible players and I agree Pulisic will be a star, but one star on your midfield don't make it a solid midfield either. McKinnie needs to show consistency more, Arriola isn't bad and needs time with better players to improve. Adams is a mystery to me until I see more. Bradley and Zardes have inconsistent vision and their short time decision making is questionable at times when they should be pushing the ball forward they pass back instead, and you're right Bradley cannot defend to save his life. You're also correct, he's slow and sloppy and lazy with some passes at inopportune times. Berhalter has a vision but doesn't have the personnel yet to capitalize on it. 

You call the back 4 shaky and they held together quite well against Mexico many times. They gave up the point but they fought all game and gave Mexico fits the entire time. Honestly, I need to see more of them, what I saw caught my eye but didn't impress besides defensively and they gave themselves a few chances early that just couldn't find the net. 

We agree a core is there but to find a homegrown dynamic striker is going to be challenging as it is and now with the big EU clubs keeping tabs on things stateside and setting up training academies it's going to get even harder. That talent will be plucked to Europe 9 out of ten times, we just gotta hope for the 10th to slip thru those cracks. He doesn't exist currently, that could change in the near future. 

Totally (respectfully) disagree...and I'm a USMNT pessimist from way back. McKinnie is going to surprise you, Arriola while not flashy is very capable...that is 3 out of 4 MF'ers...if Adams is just decent our MF becomes the strength of the team, we also have Boyd for depth...the back 4 played better the last 2 games but is a ways from being able to compete with the best international teams, the MF is almost there...

Of course its going to be challenging to find these players, I just hope Berhalter knows what he is doing...if he keeps trotting Bradley and Zardes on the field I will totally lose faith in him....Pulisic went himself more than once against Mexico with Bradley wide open, as a coaching staff that has to send a message....

Bonckers and Saint ATN like this

Again, as stated, I don't follow the team as well as you have, I'm just stating what I witness with my eyes from what I've seen in the limited time I've watched the US men's team. I hope McKinnie does surprise me, he didn't this tourney. Arriola has potential. I don't disagree with you on the defense, I've only seen what I've seen, need to see more. 

Berhalter got his team to the finals and they could have scored a few times and changed the outcome of this game, in the end, they didn't. So he's kind of proven he knows what he's doing somewhat. The team still has holes to fill to execute his vision properly, IMO, from what I've seen. Hopefully, the coaching staff listens and adjusts as Pulisic flashed his potential a few times. 

I've cut my teeth watching Iniesta, Busquets, and Rakitic in person and have followed Xavi. All legends in the midfield. Watched every game the team has played in the past 2 years. Currently watching Arthur play with Busquets and Rakitic and flourishing with now add the dutchman Frenkie DeJong to round out this stupidly talented midfield who can press and pass and dominate possession. I'm used to precise midfielders who can handle pressure when pressed and diffuse the attacker themselves, repeatedly and move the ball forward.

I also have the spoiled reality of watching complete teams compete consistently. I'm spoiled by stratospheric futbol at a very high level, always so when I watch national teams it's interesting to see the dynamics and how cohesive or non-cohesive those teams can be. I see a cohesive US team that is finding its legs and confidence. Mexico had the confidence and its legs under them and they kept knocking at the door as well and they walked away with the big shiny thing. When you start to look at the EU teams the US is starting to compete but these EU national teams have decades of farming and coaching ahead of us so it's a challenge. The culture around soccer is changing and with a US league gaining traction I feel more of a pool will be there for the US coaches to choose from. I feel we're within a generation or so of really being able to have the depth and starting talent. There is no doubt this placing showed the potential is there. 

20 hours ago, Saint ATN said:

Again, as stated, I don't follow the team as well as you have, I'm just stating what I witness with my eyes from what I've seen in the limited time I've watched the US men's team. I hope McKinnie does surprise me, he didn't this tourney. Arriola has potential. I don't disagree with you on the defense, I've only seen what I've seen, need to see more. 

Berhalter got his team to the finals and they could have scored a few times and changed the outcome of this game, in the end, they didn't. So he's kind of proven he knows what he's doing somewhat. The team still has holes to fill to execute his vision properly, IMO, from what I've seen. Hopefully, the coaching staff listens and adjusts as Pulisic flashed his potential a few times. 

I've cut my teeth watching Iniesta, Busquets, and Rakitic in person and have followed Xavi. All legends in the midfield. Watched every game the team has played in the past 2 years. Currently watching Arthur play with Busquets and Rakitic and flourishing with now add the dutchman Frenkie DeJong to round out this stupidly talented midfield who can press and pass and dominate possession. I'm used to precise midfielders who can handle pressure when pressed and diffuse the attacker themselves, repeatedly and move the ball forward.

I also have the spoiled reality of watching complete teams compete consistently. I'm spoiled by stratospheric futbol at a very high level, always so when I watch national teams it's interesting to see the dynamics and how cohesive or non-cohesive those teams can be. I see a cohesive US team that is finding its legs and confidence. Mexico had the confidence and its legs under them and they kept knocking at the door as well and they walked away with the big shiny thing. When you start to look at the EU teams the US is starting to compete but these EU national teams have decades of farming and coaching ahead of us so it's a challenge. The culture around soccer is changing and with a US league gaining traction I feel more of a pool will be there for the US coaches to choose from. I feel we're within a generation or so of really being able to have the depth and starting talent. There is no doubt this placing showed the potential is there. 

I mostly agree, and I hope our talent pool improves but I have my doubts as I've seen our youth system first hand and it sucks beyond belief. I'm convinced that there are other Clint Dempsey's out there that weren't as lucky as he was (his folks couldn't afford to pay travel team fees so the other parents chipped in), unless and until our youth system is driven strictly by parents dollars it likely isn't going to change...pretty much echoing what you are saying re: clubs...the US don't have any clubs with the resources and financial backing for this to be possible here....

Bonckers likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0