Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bonckers

N/S Gerald McCoy cut

17 posts in this topic

I think he would be a great addition, just not honestly sure we have the roster spot or the money. I know he and Drew think very highly of each other and have both said so in multiple interviews. I would be curious if we make a push. He could be very helpful until Rankins returns from injury on a 1-year deal. Not to mention it would the ultimate middle finger to Tampa to sign with us. BTW I don't believe it was a mutual decision to part ways as the Bucs are portraying it. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/20/bucs-announce-theyve-mutually-parted-ways-with-gerald-mccoy/

Bucs announce they’ve “mutually parted ways” with Gerald McCoy

Posted by Josh Alper on May 20, 2019, 8:09 PM EDT

gettyimages-1034481314-e1555441617607.jp
Getty Images

Gerald McCoy is officially a former member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Shortly after word broke that Buccaneers would be cutting McCoy, the team announced the defensive tackle’s departure. The team said the two sides “mutually parted ways” before going on to note the increased financial flexibility that comes with ending McCoy’s time in Tampa that made the move an appealing option for the team.

General Manager Jason Licht referred to McCoy as a franchise cornerstone in his statement and head coach Bruce Arians, who didn’t coach McCoy, offered one as well.

“I know Gerald has done a lot of good things on and off the football field in Tampa during his time here,” Arians said. “You hate to see good football players go, but this is a decision that we felt needed to be made in order to allow us, and Gerald, the ability to move forward. Gerald is a class-act and I wish him the best.”

The Bucs took McCoy with the third overall pick of the 2010 draft, and he made three All-Pro teams during his time with the team.

He still has some gas left. I would love to see us get him. Bringing him in would not only boost our DT rotation but give us a solid starter alongside Brown. Suh is a rotational player at this point in his career and McCoy is hand down the better of the two and McCoy can still start. Yes he's not what he once was but now he's got an axe to grind. I would love for him to setup shop here and grind living crap out of that axe against the Bucs. Our D-line would be scary good. Make it happen Loomis.

17 hours ago, The gun slinger said:

He still has some gas left. I would love to see us get him. Bringing him in would not only boost our DT rotation but give us a solid starter alongside Brown. Suh is a rotational player at this point in his career and McCoy is hand down the better of the two and McCoy can still start. Yes he's not what he once was but now he's got an axe to grind. I would love for him to setup shop here and grind living crap out of that axe against the Bucs. Our D-line would be scary good. Make it happen Loomis.

I disagree, Suh is not the "Beast" he was when drafted, but he is not a situational player in my opinion. There is a reason that the Rams paid him so much, and that Tampa was willing to move on from McCoy even though they had no answer on the roster or any other proven pass rusher with JPP gonna miss time. Suh is still a good player. I do think McCoy fits our needs better but Suh is no slouch. 

McCoy would be a good fit here.  Better than Suh - fit wise. 

Oneyamata may miss a few games due to possible suspension, and Rankins is out for at least half the season.  

I'm all for signing McCoy at this point.  Let's add more talent to the Dline.  

Bonckers likes this

If he is going for the money we cannot win that battle. If he is looking for a ring we are one of a few that would entice him. Being he grew up a Bucs fan that could hurt us. It would be like one of us choosing the Falcons over any other team. If the Patriots pursue him we may not be able to beat them out for his services. If he wants to stick it to Tamps we are his best option. All depends on what his motivation is. 

boricko likes this

4 hours ago, Bonckers said:

If he is going for the money we cannot win that battle. If he is looking for a ring we are one of a few that would entice him. Being he grew up a Bucs fan that could hurt us. It would be like one of us choosing the Falcons over any other team. If the Patriots pursue him we may not be able to beat them out for his services. If he wants to stick it to Tamps we are his best option. All depends on what his motivation is. 

It depends on what kind of money he is looking for.  If he is looking for around $9 - 10 million, then the Saints could swing that.  And he'd have the best shot out of other options, at getting to a Superbowl.  Also, I've read where the Patriots don't have much salary cap room.

Bonckers likes this

28 minutes ago, louder said:

It depends on what kind of money he is looking for.  If he is looking for around $9 - 10 million, then the Saints could swing that.  And he'd have the best shot out of other options, at getting to a Superbowl.  Also, I've read where the Patriots don't have much salary cap room.

I honestly believe that $8 million is being saved for extensions that are in the works. Like MT, and Cam. Not that we couldn't find a way to get more if we needed to. You know how Mickey works. 

He's visiting the Browns tomorrow, they've got the money and building hype to get him, but I'm still hoping he considers us for a chance at a ring... 

On 5/22/2019 at 11:16 AM, Bonckers said:

I disagree, Suh is not the "Beast" he was when drafted, but he is not a situational player in my opinion. There is a reason that the Rams paid him so much, and that Tampa was willing to move on from McCoy even though they had no answer on the roster or any other proven pass rusher with JPP gonna miss time. Suh is still a good player. I do think McCoy fits our needs better but Suh is no slouch. 

I disagree, Suh is a shadow of what he used to be and is merely trying to get paid at this point...I think the Rams letting him walk is certainly indicative of that....

Richard likes this

Idk I still think he is formidable. I do agree that he is not who he was, but I also think he has not been motivated and I think money is all he will ever be after from this point on. But that' the great thing about opinions everyone has them. Just agree to disagree. I have no way to prove my thoughts honestly. But I think if truly motivated he could be a good player still. I still prefer McCoy though.

If it's a motivational issue with Suh,then I seriously doubt the Bucs will get anything out of him. He was with the Rams 1 season and he was very inconsistant during the regular season,he did come on in the post season but it wasnt enough for tne Rams to take a chance on bring him back. McCoy was cut because he voiced his displeasure of the new defensive scheme and was labeled a trouble maker by Ariens. McCoy fits our scheme very well and would have a definite impact,I hope we are able to get him. I know he's not what he once was but he still has some potential left and like I said before,he has one hell of an axe to grind. Let him  come here and grind the living crap out of it.

louder and Richard like this

I agree that surprised me a little bit, but in his defense the 3 teams vying for him none had the pedigree of a competitor. In Baltimore, no one knows what's gonna happen especially since they lost 3 huge vocal leaders this offseason on defense, and have no passing game. Yes, the Brownies look good on paper, but the last time a team did that was the dream team in Philly, and we all remember how that turned out. Lastly, with Carolina, they are either really good or really bad never in between. But I hear the Panties get him real close to where his momma lives. 

nolaspe likes this