Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sailorsaint

Judge suppresses video in Kraft solicitation case

19 posts in this topic

A famous, wealthy man skates by on a charge that would have put anyone else behind bars? They have still not determined (to my knowledge) if this was a case of human trafficing....Shocking!!!!!!!! And disgusting....

nolaspe likes this

10 minutes ago, sfidc2 said:

A famous, wealthy man skates by on a charge that would have put anyone else behind bars? They have still not determined (to my knowledge) if this was a case of human trafficing....Shocking!!!!!!!! And disgusting....

They have come out and said there was no human trafficking which is why it will turn out to be a fine. Prostitution to my knowledge in the state of Florida is only a fine for the John. I could be wrong, so at this point releasing the video makes no sense. Now because of the way the evidence was gathered he may not even pay a fine, but realistically he broke the law and should pay the price, but a couple of thousand dollar fine is nothing to him. Personally, there is no reason this video should be released to the public even if it was taken properly which in this case it was not. I am all for him facing the consequences, but again I don't think he will. That has less to do with his money and more to do with the ineptitude of the police department when securing the video. They screwed the pooch on this one. 

I know they said no human trafficking just prostitution. I hope they got it right and it's just prostitution. This is just a messed up situation. His family has to be embarrassed as hell,I know I would be.

Bonckers likes this

51 minutes ago, The gun slinger said:

I know they said no human trafficking just prostitution. I hope they got it right and it's just prostitution. This is just a messed up situation. His family has to be embarrassed as hell,I know I would be.

I have no doubt he and they are embarrassed. I would not be surprised if he has some kind of Napoleon syndrome going on of "how dare they charge me?" Saying that he probably won't be fined or ticketed due to the lack of evidence now. 

Sometimes when you amass that much wealth you get a holier than thou attitude,you think you can do anything you want with no consequences. It's like I said,its a messed up situation.

If there was no human trafficking and no underage people involved, I find the video surveillance in a massage parlor where innocent people disrobe and being recorded and watched by investigators way more disturbing than the prostitution. At least the prostitution involves two consenting adults.  Someone being video tapped while disrobing is not consenting and it is a sad testimony to how some of those involved with law enforcement think nothing of our right to privacy.  

Bonckers likes this

10 minutes ago, Drew said:

If there was no human trafficking and no underage people involved, I find the video surveillance in a massage parlor where innocent people disrobe and being recorded and watched by investigators way more disturbing than the prostitution. At least the prostitution involves two consenting adults.  Someone being video tapped while disrobing is not consenting and it is a sad testimony to how some of those involved with law enforcement think nothing of our right to privacy.  

While I can appreciate the concern over losing our right to privacy, but there should be no right to privacy when committing a crime. That would be like a burglar getting off because your security system taped him without his knowledge, would it not? Or a shoplifter getting nabbed because of the stores video?

9 hours ago, sailorsaint said:

While I can appreciate the concern over losing our right to privacy, but there should be no right to privacy when committing a crime. That would be like a burglar getting off because your security system taped him without his knowledge, would it not? Or a shoplifter getting nabbed because of the stores video?

I think the issue is the right to privacy for the other patrons that didn’t break the law. In these cases all the tape is thrown out as the court’s recourse to over zealous law enforcement. 

Bonckers likes this

23 hours ago, Bonckers said:

They have come out and said there was no human trafficking which is why it will turn out to be a fine. Prostitution to my knowledge in the state of Florida is only a fine for the John. I could be wrong, so at this point releasing the video makes no sense. Now because of the way the evidence was gathered he may not even pay a fine, but realistically he broke the law and should pay the price, but a couple of thousand dollar fine is nothing to him. Personally, there is no reason this video should be released to the public even if it was taken properly which in this case it was not. I am all for him facing the consequences, but again I don't think he will. That has less to do with his money and more to do with the ineptitude of the police department when securing the video. They screwed the pooch on this one. 

Thanks for the clarification Bonck...still not sure I buy that...someone like Kraft and his slimy lawyers can buy there way out of pretty much anything I think, not saying that is what happened here, but wouldn't rule it out....

Bonckers likes this

I do agree with that sfidc2. That is one of the main issues with the justice system in this country. the richer person or persons wins 99% of the time. In this case, there were ways for police to video without there being an invasion of privacy. They could have two cameras one outside at the entrance to the room and one inside the room. When the masseuse enters to give said massage the camera in the room is turned on. I'm sorry there is no reason that could not have been done, and the tape would not have to have been thrown out of court. JMO.  

Suppression of evidence is one of the first steps in any criminal defense.   I surely wouldn’t want someone filming me changing clothes and getting a perfectly legal massage.

Without human trafficking or underage participants, the embarrassment for a guy like Kraft is probably punishment enough. Mid-70’s widower billionaire, it’s really kind of sad.

Bonckers and Slidell Saint like this

Just out of curiosity, how much is a lawyer in your area? I ask this because the going rate here in Shreveport/Bossier is $250.00 an hour. How many of you can afford that? They blow through the "retainer" in mere days then want more and more and in the end they make a deal with the other lawyer and split the loot from both sides and you still end up with NOTHING. They, to me, are worse than bookies!

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Just out of curiosity, how much is a lawyer in your area? I ask this because the going rate here in Shreveport/Bossier is $250.00 an hour. How many of you can afford that? They blow through the "retainer" in mere days then want more and more and in the end they make a deal with the other lawyer and split the loot from both sides and you still end up with NOTHING. They, to me, are worse than bookies!i

Unfortunately, $250 p/hr is a reasonable rate.  Kraft’s lawyer is probably 2 to 4 times that rate. But even a public defender should try to suppress evidence.  P&I lawyers take up to 40% of the award/settlement plus expenses in contingent fees.  The cost of legal fees is why insurance companies and businesses look to settle.   It is one profession where it pays to prolong and delay, and the odds are in favor of the party with the most money to spend.  You can sue someone into submission.  

On 5/14/2019 at 8:23 PM, sailorsaint said:

As fjw70 responded, I was worried about the invasion of privacy of the innocent.  People go to get a message and disrobe in what they think is a private room.  I don't have a problem with video in general and think it is a great tool, but videos in bathrooms and changing rooms should never be allowed.  

Bonckers likes this

44 minutes ago, Drew said:

As fjw70 responded, I was worried about the invasion of privacy of the innocent.  People go to get a message and disrobe in what they think is a private room.  I don't have a problem with video in general and think it is a great tool, but videos in bathrooms and changing rooms should never be allowed.  

Agree 100%. There has to be a line. Had there been a legitimate reason, such as underage prostitution or trafficking, I can see there being video. But if you are just there for a legal massage, that's across the line. I'm not even against the prostitution angle, as long as they are of age.

Bonckers likes this

“The fact that some totally innocent women and men had their entire lawful time spent in a massage room fully recorded and viewed intermittently by a detective-monitor is unacceptable,” Hanser wrote.

So, by that logic shouldn't all spedding camera tickets be thrown out?  After all, speeding cameras film lawful drivers the entire time too.

6 hours ago, herb said:

So, by that logic shouldn't all spedding camera tickets be thrown out?  After all, speeding cameras film lawful drivers the entire time too.

But speeding cameras are not recording people getting undressed.

Bonckers likes this