Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saint ATN

Game of Thrones Season 8

120 posts in this topic

Tonight is the big finale! The speculation is off the charts as to who ends up on the Iron Throne, who lives and who dies.

Can’t believe it all boils down to one last episode. 

dtgSaintsFan and nolaspe like this

Decision time.  Watch the NBA playoffs until 8?  Or watch Kings Landing burn again?  HBO is about to air last week's episode again.  That's an easy.  Time to watch it burn!

Slidell Saint likes this

Not necessarily disappointed but I was surprised at some of the final outcomes for a few of the characters. Need to ponder it a little. Maybe the ending, especially Jon’s fate, was fitting. But after so many years of building up to this finale I guess I expected more of a “grand” ending for some of the main characters. I’ll say I did like Bran’s line “Why do you think I came all this way?” He knew all along what his destiny was. Was kind of an “aha” moment.

Can't believe it’s over though. I’ve enjoyed the overall series more than any other recent television show that I can recall. 

Bonckers likes this

I need to digest it more before commenting.  I'm sad that it's over because I have enjoyed this series.  For me, it's the best series since Lost.  It will likely be a while until we have another series this good.

Disappointing. It was just OK...that’s all.  

Usually GOT is a spectacle, and each episode has the feel of a movie.  This felt like a TV show.  Had a few good moments, but overall ...meh.  I look forward to talking specifics later.  

Bonckers and Slidell Saint like this

Didn't see this posted elsewhere, but interested in these. Prequels in the works with one being released next year supposedly. But it is supposed to be way in the past so don't expect to see Ned Stark, too bad.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/17/information-on-upcoming-game-of-thrones-prequel-series.html

herb likes this

9 hours ago, faceman said:

Am I the only person on earth who has never watched a single episode of GOT or seinfeld? 

Quite possibly!

1 hour ago, louder said:

Are we good to talk about details now, including spoilers?

I think so.  The ending has been discussed at large enough that even people who never watched an episode probably know how it ended.

nolaspe likes this

3 hours ago, Bonckers said:

I honestly felt it was a rushed season and ending. It wasn't horrible, but not how I would have done it. 

If I recall, HBO wanted a 10 episode season but D&D nixed that and it obviously showed down to the small details of the coffee cup on the table and water bottle next to someone's leg in the finale. I'll bet that D&D let it happen the way it did so they could turn their attention to getting Disney's keys to the castle, namely being in charge of the next Star Wars trilogy. 

I'm pretty meh about the ending and season overall. The battle at Winterfell and the episode before where everyone was hanging out were my favorite parts, especially anything Tormund-related. 

I wish that somehow Arya would have been more involved in the end using her face swapping abilities, I feel like she became an afterthought after taking out the NK and went to KL for basically nothing since she didn't get to confront Cersei. I did like Cleganbowl and the redemption of the Hound coming full circle. 

If Bran can see everything and future events, it feels like he orchestrated the whole thing by telling Jon who he really was which led to everyone else finding out and contributing in part to Dany going full Mad Queen and destroying KL, so Bran not trying to prevent all that death and destruction makes him partially responsible for it, especially when he was like 'why do you think I came here' when offered the throne. 

The cinematography and use of CGI was spectacular overall though and hands down Peter Dinklage was the best actor overall IMO... 

61106216_10161881605560444_1227025586136

Bonckers likes this

The high point of the finale was Hound vs the Mountain.  The rest? - head scratches and a whole lot of meh.

And Bran becoming king is just so stupid.  This is a character who does next to nothing throughout the series, besides zoning out and being a convenient way to assert narratives into the story.  He is boring and up until this finale, was assumed to have no interest in the throne.  But hey, let's subvert everyone's expectations and throw a crown on him.  Dumb.

And letting Tyrion choose the king?  WHY?  Tyrion's reasoning - Bran had the best story.  WHAT?  That would be Arya.  Hell, Stansa IMO would be a better choice.  

I would have like to see the ending play out like this:   The Mad Queen enters the throne room soon followed by John.  The scene plays out as in the original, except as the Queen is dying, it is revealed that it's Arya that actually dispatched her, knowing John may not have the will to pull it off.   Arya disappears and John enters the room.  He sees his dead Queen and holds her as Grey Worm enters the room.  Grey Worm is enraged at the sight.   An epic battle between the two ensures, and John is the victor and Grey Worm is dead.  John goes before the assembled council and is recognized as next in line for the throne.   As the council names him King, he relinquishes the throne.  Stansa becomes Queen and names John King of the North.  It's where he feel most at home.  

nolaspe and herb like this