Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WhoDatinH-town

Bridgewater

38 posts in this topic

I am not sure that we will lose him. I don't see that many new guaranteed starting jobs out there:

AZ- Josh Rosen- 1st rd pick last year- too much invested to not start

Atl- Matty Melt- no comment

Balt- Lamar Jacson- also 1st rd pick last year showed potential- he'll start

Buf- Josh Allen- same as Josh Rosen

Car- Scam- sucks for them, good for us, but Teddy wont be signing there to start

Chic- Trubisky- Also a recent 1st rnd pick showed potential 

Cinc- Dalton- So this one is interesting and might be a landing spot. It depends on how Dalton is recovering from his injury and if their new coach is sold on him. I wouldnt be surprised to see them go after Teddy

Clev- Baker Mayfield- He'll be their starter

Dallas- Dak- I think Jerry likes him too much to look elsewhere

Den- Another interesting possibility. Does Elway bail on Keenum after 1year.. I doubt they end up chasing Teddy

Det- Stafford- established vet not going anywhere

GB- Rodger- established vet not going anywhere

Hou- Watson- Young qb with a lot of potential that the team is very high on-

Ind- Luck- established vet, not going anywhere

Jack- bortles- They are more than likely in the qb market, they do draft 7 and may choose to sign a vet like bridgewater or more likely flacco and draft a qb to be mentored by vet--another possible destination

KC- Mahomes- he'll  be starting here for many years

LA (I want to write SD) Chargers- Rivers- established vet, I can't see them bringing in another veteran to start

LA lams- Goff- They need him to start

Miami- Tannehill- Are they keeping Tannehill. I could see them going after Teddy

Minn- Cousins- too much tied up in cousins to not start him and bridgewater wouldnt return to Minny

NE- Brady- no need to explain

NYG- Manning- this is a weird one, I think they would do well to sign Bridgewater and get rid of Manning, but I dont think they will. This is still Eli's team

NYJ- Darnold- played well as rookie, he'll be their starter

Oak?/SF?/SD?/LV?- Carr- i don't think they can afford to cut him and he and Gruden seemed to make peace

Phi- Wentz- this will be Wentz's team

Pitt- Rothlisberger- same as Philly

SF- Garrapolo- he should be back by training camp

sea- wilson- established vet

TB- crab legs-- It was reported they will let him start next year and the new coach will work with him

Ten-Mariota- I think they plan on having him start if healthy, but it seems that is a question mark. Would they go after Bridgewater and would he want to compete with and possibly back up mariota. I would think if he wants to be a backup- we have the best situation

wash- Josh Johnson/Colt Mccoy/buttfumble man/ alex smith- I would have to think that Alex Smith wont be playing next year but who knows. These guys need a qb and I could see them going after him

So in summary, I could see Cin, Den, Jax, Mia, Ten, and Wash.. 

I think Cincinnati makes the most sense for him, but they may not even be in the new qb market. Some of those teams may be planning on drafting qbs and there are other starting caliber qbs available like flacco, fitzpatrick, nick foles will likely need a home, tyrod taylor, 

Hopefully we can keep him, if coach thinks he can eventually take over for Brees.

Edited by WhoDatinH-town
Saint ATN, faceman and thernasty like this

Nice solid breakdown. I do hope that we are able to retain him, especially if Payton feels he can keep the continuity of the position once Brees retires. I personally didn't see that from him, however, I'm just a fan and not a pro so as usual, I'm just guessing. Father time is not on Brees side anymore and honestly, this is our last hurrah with him, we have to go all in this year no matter what. He may have a few years left in his opinion but we're already seeing a decline, small, but the deep ball throws are not where they used to be. Honestly, Teddy didn't impress during his game audition at the end of the season, that being said, he never benefited from the full strength of the O-line either. 

It looks like there will be a net of 3 sure open starting positions, Jax, Mia and maybe Wash, (if Cincy, Den and TN, look for new QBs it will make their current QBs available).  Foles, Flacco and Bridgewater are the front runners for starting QB positions. 

If Bridgewater gets a big offer, I think he is gone.   Saints will probably go with a value veteran backup, ( no 3) unless Teddy doesn’t get a big offer.  After giving up a no 3, maybe Loomis has a plan; it really depends on how long Drew plans on playing.

With regard to Brees, he had his best year in a long time.  As to his long ball, other than Mahomes, who else is making the real long throws in the playoffs?   Certainly not Goff and Brady in the Super Bowl.   Normally long pass plays are the result of busted coverages or broken tackles, as defenses work to take the bombs away. 

It will be interesting to see how they restructure Brees.  That will give an indication on how long he plans on playing.  He’s a year and a half younger than Brady.

Saint ATN likes this

I expect if there isn't one already for a void year to be added to Brees contract this offseason. It will still give Brees the same money but push the cap hit out. Problem is that cap hit is going to come sooner than later. We can only kick the can so long. So I honestly think this is his last year on the current deal. Whether it is Bridgewater, Hill, or another veteran I cannot see Payton or Loomis rolling the dice walking into the draft without a starting QB the year after Brees retires. I do expect either he chooses this is his last year or we move on after current contract. Eventually, we will have to switch to a defensive based team with a good to great defense. You really shouldn't do that with a QB you are paying 25+ mill. I expect Bridgewater to leave, I wish we could keep him, I just don't see that happening. Crazier things have happened though. Also would not be surprised if we went with a read option younger QB when Brees walks away especially with Hill. 

Saint ATN likes this

One of 2 scenarios will play out IMO:

1) Teddy walks for a starting job in Jax or Miami.  Money talks and he bolts for an opportunity to start.

2) Brees has indicated to Loomis and Payton that this is his last season, and there is an understood agreement between Teddy and the Saints' FO to sign him to a multiyear deal, with a promise to be the starter after the upcoming season.

On a side note, I don't see that much of a drop off on Brees' long passes.  That bomb to Arnold in the NFC Championship Game hit him right in the freaking hands.  He just dropped it.   It was either MT's first season or this last one where Brees hit Thomas with a deep bomb that was placed right on the money - MT was only able to get one foot down, but that pass was dead on.  I know the touch on those deep passes has diminished a bit, but overall I don't see it as a huge problem.  Where was our deep threat this year anyway?  Ginn was hurt early, then we were relying on rookies, including undrafted ones, to haul in deep passes.  How much of that is actually on Drew?  This team better sign some burners to pair with Ginn for deep routes.  Payton was always better at scheming with 2 speed guys on the outside.

Saint ATN likes this

I actually don't see it as a touch issue as much as an arm strength issue. He underthrew a few passes this year that didn't turn into INT's that should have. The pick in the NFCCG was an underthrow that the defender was beaten by a few steps. That is my concern. Outside of the deep ball, he is still very accurate and smarter than anyone we will be able to draft or pick up in FA. 

boricko, Saint ATN and faceman like this

16 minutes ago, The gun slinger said:

I believe we retain him. Who better to be backup. I much rather Bridgewater at 2 than Taysom Hill.

That's where we're at currently and last year at this time we didn't even have the luxury of a Teddy to realistically consider either. Basically, things change quickly in the offseason and what wasn't here today, somehow is and what was yesterday, somehow isn't anymore. It's a confusing time, but we'll be here for it all regardless. 

The gun slinger and Bonckers like this

On 2/7/2019 at 11:24 AM, Bonckers said:

I actually don't see it as a touch issue as much as an arm strength issue. He underthrew a few passes this year that didn't turn into INT's that should have. The pick in the NFCCG was an underthrow that the defender was beaten by a few steps. That is my concern. Outside of the deep ball, he is still very accurate and smarter than anyone we will be able to draft or pick up in FA. 

The pick on the first drive in the Eagles game was underthrown as well. Ginn was 2 steps ahead of the defender.That would have been a walk in TD and a quick 7-0 lead with a younger Brees. 

bigbrod81, Saint ATN and Bonckers like this

2 hours ago, faceman said:

The pick on the first drive in the Eagles game was underthrown as well. Ginn was 2 steps ahead of the defender.That would have been a walk in TD and a quick 7-0 lead with a younger Brees. 

Yes, that play was the "poster child" of the Brees arm strength debate. To me it is undeniable proof that he can't make some of the throws he used to....

Funny about the Brees arm debate, I’m watching a replay of Super Bowl XLIV on NFL Network right now. On the third play of he game Brees went deep to Meachem and overthrew him by almost 5 yards. Haven’t seen him do that on a deep route in ages and shows that it’s not just our imagination. 

Time waits for no man.

6 hours ago, sfidc2 said:

Yes, that play was the "poster child" of the Brees arm strength debate. To me it is undeniable proof that he can't make some of the throws he used to....

to be fair, we can say the same about Brady. He's not throwing bombs to Randy Moss like he used too in 2007. The difference between him and brees is we do not have a possession receiver like Edelman. 

4 hours ago, faceman said:

to be fair, we can say the same about Brady. He's not throwing bombs to Randy Moss like he used too in 2007. The difference between him and brees is we do not have a possession receiver like Edelman. 

Brees just has the best possession receiver in the league in Michael Thomas.  

Saint ATN and Bonckers like this

12 minutes ago, Drew said:

Brees just has the best possession receiver in the league in Michael Thomas.  

he's not playing the slot like Edelman. Watch the SB when you get a chance. Brees needs a receiver like he had with Lance Moore. 

bigbrod81 and Saint ATN like this

16 hours ago, faceman said:

Agreed in part. It is also kind of freaky that the Patriots seem to be at their healthiest at the end of the year, almost every year it seems...

11 hours ago, faceman said:

he's not playing the slot like Edelman. Watch the SB when you get a chance. Brees needs a receiver like he had with Lance Moore. 

Agreed. MT is one of the best route runners in the NFL for his size but he doesn't possess that elite quickness & lateral movement to work the slot. I like this suggestion here. Mahomes & Grant were a dynamic duo at Texas Tech. 

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/07/saints-trade-ideas-jakeem-grant-dolphins/

Saint ATN, Bonckers and faceman like this

1 hour ago, sfidc2 said:

Agreed in part. It is also kind of freaky that the Patriots seem to be at their healthiest at the end of the year, almost every year it seems...

If we played the AFC North every year we’d be healthy at the end of year too, however we play in one of the most consistent tough divisions instead. 

sfidc2 likes this

15 hours ago, faceman said:

I refuse to watch the Manipulated but I know Edelman's skill set and I know Michael Thomas' skillset and have seen what he has done.   My eyeball tells me he is more than capable and his stats back it up.  https://clutchpoints.com/saints-news-michael-thomas-led-the-nfl-in-this-intriguing-stat-in-2018/

bigbrod81 likes this

21 minutes ago, Drew said:

I refuse to watch the Manipulated but I know Edelman's skill set and I know Michael Thomas' skillset and have seen what he has done.   My eyeball tells me he is more than capable and his stats back it up.  https://clutchpoints.com/saints-news-michael-thomas-led-the-nfl-in-this-intriguing-stat-in-2018/

I get what you are saying but we need a force in the slot to go along with MT. The offense needs to be able to put that stress on a secondary.

Bonckers likes this

1 hour ago, bigbrod81 said:

I get what you are saying but we need a force in the slot to go along with MT. The offense needs to be able to put that stress on a secondary.

That I will go along with, but I think a pass catching TE is  way larger need and the bigger difference between Brees and Brady the last few years.  With a legit playmaking TE, I think Tre'Quan Smith is capable of alleviating the reliance on MT.  Use him and MT in two receiver sets and move MT into the slot when using 3 WR sets and utilize Ginn and Tre'Quan on the outside. What we are missing is a good TE option, not a WR capable of playing the slot.

Kinsey and Slidell Saint like this

Well I believe Ginn is a free agent this year. So we could see a lot of change in the passing game this offseason. Between a new starting TE, a new number 2, and slot WR. 

1 hour ago, Bonckers said:

Well I believe Ginn is a free agent this year. So we could see a lot of change in the passing game this offseason. Between a new starting TE, a new number 2, and slot WR. 

No, he is not a free agent, he is on the third year of the three year deal he signed before the 2017 season.  

Bonckers likes this

Good to know thanks for some reason I thought it was a 2-year deal. I know he had an interview right before he came back to the active roster saying he thought he had played his last game when he was on IR. Hope he doesn't retire. 

Drew likes this