Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidell Saint

Anthony Davis demands to be traded

66 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Slidell Saint said:

Dell Demps has been an absolute failure. He is the reason we are at this point today. The Buddy Hield/Boogie Cousin trade looked great off the bat. I know no one could foresee Cousins blowing out his achilles but maybe they should have just had more patience with Hield. Of course now Hield is the player we all thought he would be coming out of Oklahoma. The Kings are benefiting greatly from his play while the Pelicans could certainly use his shooting & ability to force defenses to spread out against the 3.

faceman likes this

Demps has mismanaged the franchise.  Why they stuck with him so long, I'll never understand.   When you think of the best Pelicans/Hornets players, they have all been draft choices, Davis, Paul, West.... but we have traded away almost all of our other draft choices.  For David Stern to come out and say the guy is a horrible GM, he has to be bad.  I do not ever remember a Commissioner or former Commissioner doing this in any league. 

Unfortunately, the Pelicans demise started with Cousins Achilles injury last year.   He was their best chance of keeping Davis on board.   Then the writing was on the wall when Davis signed with LeBron's agent.   LeBron has been tampering with Davis for some time now, and the NBA doesn't give a fat rat's ass about it.  The NBA has managed to get away with consolidating players in the top 4 teams in the league, and have fans excited about just making the playoffs when the teams have had practically zero chance of winning a championship, while lining their pockets with television money.  And why shouldn't they stick with that model?     

I am finished with the NBA.   I guess if it works if you are a fan that pulls for certain players, or you jump on the Warriors or Celtics bandwagon.   The NBA is the least competitive professional sports league in the world, and I am saying that also being a soccer fan.     

Unfortunately, for local basketball fans, it looks like we will lose an NBA franchise for the second time. 

And one thing I will add, the last thing the Pelicans should do is to take a lesser deal for Davis to close a deal before the Feb 7th trade deadline.    And I would send him anywhere but the Lakers or Rockets.   Probably the best trade partner would be the Celtics, and they cannot do a deal until July.    Even if I had to sit him the rest of the year, I would hold out for the best deal.

Dru Holiday is probably right behind him.     The Pels will be cleaning house, if indeed Gayle  does not sell the team.     Its a no-win league for a small market. 

And yes, OKC and the Spurs are pretty good small market teams, but they are the only game in their respective cities.   And neither team is going to win a Championship as long as the Warriors remain as is. 

faceman likes this

My advice to Mrs Benson is to hire a new GM before Davis is traded, because Demps will muck it up like he has done everything else since he has been here.

And LA doesn’t have the assets, nor should they be rewarded for tampering.

Time to clean house. 

faceman and Slidell Saint like this

That’s a cop out stating the Saints are a factor.

The factor is LeBron and the greed surrounding the NBA, where the players do whatever they want to do.  

The $50,000 tampering fine is a joke!   Davis turpedoed Gayle Benson, his coach and his teammates.   He could have done what he had to do at the end of the season, but LeBron is calling the shots in the NBA.

It’s not everyday a city gets screwed by both the NFL and NBA in the same week!

Slidell Saint and faceman like this

12 minutes ago, sailorsaint said:

Let him F!!ing walk. The NBA is a joke anyway.

No, sit him out so he doesn't get injured. Trade him to Boston after july 1st. They have the assets L.A. lacks. Davis now says he won't sign a long term deal with any team except the Lakers. Saying he wants to play for a contender is BS. The Lakers aren't going to beat Golden St. in a series the next few years. Davis will  be stuck with a 37 year old lebron James and a bunch of role players. 

bigbrod81 and Slidell Saint like this

It was really amusing watching the Pelicans beat the Rockets last night on TNT.  It was almost as though the "all players" announcing team was disappointed.   And ESPN showed highlights of Harden scoring 30, as opposed to highlighting the Pelicans win. This is the NBA where the individual star is more important than the team.   I really don't understand what Davis is still doing on the Pelicans bench.  He just told his teammates that they are basically losers, and are non-competitive, so much so, that he will reject the biggest NBA contract ever to get away from them.   Yeah, "I love you guys, but you suck!".    And he has probably cost his Coach his job. (and hopefully the GM too).

Right now, no one is competitive with the Warriors.   It is really all about LeBron and his mouthpiece agent running the league, and LeBron is desperate to try and make his team competitive.   I will say this, AD is not the best player in clutch situations.   He disappears offensively when the game is one the line.  He really needs to play where he can fill up the box score, while someone else wins the game. 

I agree with Faceman, sit AD the rest of the year. and trade him after the season.    The Celtics can work out a deal, draft the players that the Pelicans want, (hopefully chosen by a new GM), and then close the trade in July.     I would not cater to this threat that he is not going to play anywhere but LA.   Once LeBron realizes he has to wait a year and a half, he will move on to the next sucker.

Edited by Boris
faceman likes this

For a number of reasons I hope the Pels hold off and try to deal with the Celtics.  If we can somehow get Jayson Tatum and Gordon Heyward in the deal, then we would have bonafide talent to build around.  

faceman and bigbrod81 like this

1 hour ago, Slidell Saint said:

For a number of reasons I hope the Pels hold off and try to deal with the Celtics.  If we can somehow get Jayson Tatum and Gordon Heyward in the deal, then we would have bonafide talent to build around.  

We are going to get picks from Boston as well as possibly Tatum and/or Heyward. Kyrie Irving's contract is holding up any imminent trade at the moment. What will be hilarious for Boston is when Kyrie leaves this offseason to team back up with Lebron in L.A. then they trade for AD a day or two afterwards only for him to leave for L.A. in the 2020 offseason.

16 hours ago, sailorsaint said:

Let him F!!ing walk. The NBA is a joke anyway.

The Pels front office is a joke, mainly Dell Demps. It needs a complete overhaul including relieving Mickey Loomis of his responsibilities. Loomis is not a basketball guy.

In the current structure, they are allowing Demps to make all the personnel decisions & he has been awful. His terrible contracts to Eric Gordon, Omar Asik & Alexis Ajinca have made it impossible to sign impactful free agents not to mention he has traded numerous 1st round picks in trades that have not panned out. Demps needs to go asap. He doesn't need to anywhere near a Pels rebuild because ultimately he will screw it up. Find a new GM & give him the ability to bring in a new coaching staff if he deems that is what the organization needs.

Slidell Saint likes this

1 hour ago, bigbrod81 said:

The Pels front office is a joke, mainly Dell Demps. It needs a complete overhaul including relieving Mickey Loomis of his responsibilities. Loomis is not a basketball guy.

In the current structure, they are allowing Demps to make all the personnel decisions & he has been awful. His terrible contracts to Eric Gordon, Omar Asik & Alexis Ajinca have made it impossible to sign impactful free agents not to mention he has traded numerous 1st round picks in trades that have not panned out. Demps needs to go asap. He doesn't need to anywhere near a Pels rebuild because ultimately he will screw it up. Find a new GM & give him the ability to bring in a new coaching staff if he deems that is what the organization needs.

I agree completely.

It's obvious the franchise needs a basketball hierarchy.  I think the synergy with the Saints ownership is inherently a good thing for this market.  It's how we can make it work with two major sports teams in the market.  That's not the problem.  The problem is that Dell Demps hasn't been successful in putting together rosters that can compete in the NBA West.  And the "football guys" at the top of the chain of command can't recognize the problem.  No knock on Mickey.  But he's a football guy.  Lauscha can stay put in his role because it's the business side.  But Basketball Operations desperately needs seasoned NBA front office executives to put together a roster and earn the respect of the players and agents (yes...the players and agents) whom they need to lure to the Pels.

First step is a seasoned replacement for Demps.  Then let him evaluate Gentry and give him the power to make that move quickly.  Then evaluate our trade options for Davis, with an eye to maximize the return on investment regardless of where AD wants to go.

This, along with Boston as a potential trade partner, is why I think it's wise for the franchise to table trade discussions until after the season.  

Get the house in order first!  

I'm renewing my tickets anyway, but I think significant steps in this direction by the franchise will salvage a lot of ticket holders who are thinking of bolting.

bigbrod81 likes this

Kris Porzingis is being traded from Knicks to the Mavs. Apparently, the Knicks wanted in with AD trade talks but Porzingis stated he would not re-sign with the Pels. Alonzo Ball of the Lakers has also made similar statements.

Now Porzingis has already stated that he will sign long term with the Mavs. This just goes to show how many around the NBA view the Pelicans franchise & upper management.

This organization has no leadership. I have a bad feeling that this rebuild post AD will be botched. There are rumors out there that the organization is looking to deal Mirotic & Randle simply for a face to put on billboards for advertising rather acquiring assets (draft picks or young role players) for a rebuild. That is nonsense. Most fans would tolerate a rebuild if it means having a legitimate contending team in 3-4 years. You don't need a face to sell tickets. Put together a good product on the court & your face will emerge. So will your ability to sell more tickets.

Edited by bigbrod81
Slidell Saint likes this

So he must be getting some sort of backlash for how this has been handled.  Won't change anything, but he's crawfishing on what came out about him only wanting the Lakers, etc.

So he says the trade demand wasn't meant to leak.  But Woj at ESPN claims it was the agent that leaked it!  Agent and player not on the same page?  Or is this straight out of the playbook where the agent says if you get any backlash, just blame it on me?

Kushner is the Pelicans beat writer for the New Orleans Advocate. Below are some of the more interesting tweets he posted before and during AD's presser today.

bigbrod81 likes this

Davis, LeBron and their agent havebroken all the rules and interferes with the contractual relationship between Davis and the Pelicans.

He was preppier before this interview, and was trying to protect his agent.   This move has been planned since he bought a home in LA and signed with LeBron’s agent. 

Slidell Saint likes this

After what transpired yesterday with Porzingis, I think AD may end up being a Knick. New York now has assets equal to or greater than what Boston can offer. Namely, the possiblity of the first overall pick & the chance to draft Zion Williamson.

Slidell Saint likes this