Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zeke187

Vote Tre'quan Smith - Pepsi Rookie of the Week

7 posts in this topic

We need to give this cat the ball more. I would like to see more from him and Meredith. I can see us moving on from Ginn next year. I had been waiting to see Smith these past few games and he didn't disappoint. I see big things from this cat.

bigbrod81 and Kinsey like this

On the record setting TD pass, Smith benefitted from the attention that MT got on a shallow crossing route while Kamara was nearby in the flats. That's why the Skins blew the coverage. Smith's toe tap reception on the sideline was a thing of beauty. Great concentration. The second TD reception was Smith just blowing by his guy straight up. 

The opportunities will be there for Tre'Quan to start putting up some big numbers. Let's see if he can seize those opportunities. If both he & Meredith begin to become viable weapons in this offense, there will be no way to defend this set of skill players especially now with defenses having to game plan for Taysom Hill packages. I know some feel that the Hill packages are gimmicky but you have to realize that opponents now have to dedicate time in the film room & on the practice field during game week on these packages. Teams have talked about for years the amount of preparation it takes to game plan the Saints because of the numerous formations & personnel groupings that Payton uses. Remember Belichick saying this in 2009? Now you add a Taysom Hill zone read package to that & it makes game planning even that more difficult.

23 hours ago, bigbrod81 said:

The second TD reception was Smith just blowing by his guy straight up. 

And part of that was the fact that the 'Skins were looking at the underneath because Taysom Hill was in the formation split out and sweeping as the ball was snapped.  Fake (not even a good fake) the hand off to Hill and the DBs were caught peeking into the backfield.  They left one man on Smith and he streaked right by that guy.  Wide open for TD #2!  Maybe Smith was able to keep THAT ball!

That is the power of the "Hill packages."

Saint ATN and bigbrod81 like this

I have hoped he can develop into a replacemnt for Ginn. With so many good young players we need new ones to step up and do it early to save money for expiring rookie contracts. I know his blocking was a huge plus coming out of college if he keeps developing we won't have to sign or raft another deep threat WR for at least 4 more years. That would be huge for money to Kamara, Williams, and others.