Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidell Saint

NFL Network negative comments on Brees

20 posts in this topic

I was at the game and obviously didn't hear this during the game.  But I got home from the game around 11:30 and put the NFL Network on and it was a panel of guys, including Maurice Jones-Drew.  I was surprised because MJD was really down on Drew.  They were talking about where he ranks all-time among QBs and he kept saying that the "6-10, 7-9, 8-8 records right after winning the Super Bowl have to keep him out of the discussion of top QBs of all-time."  Kinda pissed me off but I just turned off the TV and went to bed.  But looks like they made similar comments during the game as well.  

Crazy.

The ESPN guys on First Take had a segment on "Is Brees Top 5 all time?"  Stephen A said yes, but the other guy doubts top 10.  And a lot of that is because he has no MVP awards and it doesn't look as good as it does when guys like Rodgers, Favre, Manning, Brady, etc. throw it, etc.  Basically, it was just another segment for those buffoons to yell.  What a great way to make money.  Produce nothing.  Wear a fancy suit.  Argue BS on the radio and TV.

Chuck and Slidell Saint like this

49 minutes ago, Slidell Saint said:

I was surprised because MJD was really down on Drew.  They were talking about where he ranks all-time among QBs and he kept saying that the "6-10, 7-9, 8-8 records right after winning the Super Bowl have to keep him out of the discussion of top QBs of all-time." 

38 minutes ago, dtgSaintsFan said:

The ESPN guys on First Take had a segment on "Is Brees Top 5 all time?"  Stephen A said yes, but the other guy doubts top 10.  And a lot of that is because he has no MVP awards and it doesn't look as good as it does when guys like Rodgers, Favre, Manning, Brady, etc. throw it, etc. 

tenor.gif

I have been listening to ESPN radio all morning - Golic and Wingo and now Lebatard.

All of them have discussed Drew's legacy and while none were just outright negative about him as MJD was on NFL Network, they all really struggle to put him among the greatest QBs of all time.

I'm like...what more does he have to do?  It used to be the "ring" was the barometer.  Is it "MVP"?  is that what he lacks?  Is it now "multiple rings"?

Bah...talking heads...I'm just surprised that it's been as hostile so soon after the record was broken.

This type of moronic nonsense by the sports media continued today with Shannon Sharpe and Skip Bayless.  Basically, they gave "reasons" why Brees isn't considered one of the greats.  Only 1 Superbowl, being coached by Payton, offenses more pass friendly, etc.  Both then went to the stupidest arguement possible....wins.

Skip immediately points to 6 non-winning seasons out of 12 for Brees in New Orleans.  Then, moronically, mentions Brady's regular season record.   Now, I think Brady is one of the greatest of all time, BUT that division had been pathetic for over a decade.  Who is going to challenge the Pats?  Miami?  The Bills???  It's such a stupid argument.

I am also tired of the "well, Brees doesn't have multiple SuperBowl wins" argument.  By that standard, Marino shouldn't EVER be in the conversation of elite QBs.

I don't get it.  What does Drew have to do to get SOME respect from the press?  He could have a 10 td / 700 yd game, and the press would shrug their shoulders.

The man breaks an all time record, and most of the so called sports experts are not only unimpressed, but give excuses as to why it's not really a big deal.  Disgusting.

Edited by louder
Bonckers and bigbrod81 like this

I really need to let it go, but here's an article in the New Orleans Advocate about the comments on NFL Network:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/saints/article_ae98bdce-cb80-11e8-aa2a-975a776af625.html?utm_content=buffer18638&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

"Aaron Rodgers does things that wow you. Drew Brees sits back in the pocket and throws throws that people think that they can make at home," Jones is heard saying in a clip shared on Twitter. "Drew Brees sits back there in the pocket ... he looks up over his little shoulder pads and helmet and he throws the ball to the open person. He don't really make no throws outside the pocket or doing anything spectacular like that so that's why he's not up there in the top 5."

Jones-Drew chimed in supporting Jones' take, offering up the winning nature of Joe Montana, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning as something Brees lacks.

"... they won and they won consistently," Jones-Drew said. "I think that's where you want to see Drew Brees, getting that 14-win season for multiple years back-to-back-to-back. You don't see that as much."

Whatever, who cares what tripe these fools peddle to get a rise outta y’all. This is one reason I stopped watching these idiots years ago. A bunch of never did much-es talk smack like they did something. They play your emotions like a fiddle and get y’all riled up over nonsense. Ignore these fools and drivel and just watch the game. These guys are paid to go against the grain to get you all up in your feels, stop playing into their manipulative hands at your expense. They’re literally not worth the energy concentration or giving them a thought or consideration. 

faceman, Richard, xardoz and 4 others like this

1 hour ago, Saint ATN said:

Whatever, who cares what tripe these fools peddle to get a rise outta y’all. This is one reason I stopped watching these idiots years ago. A bunch of never did much-es talk smack like they did something. They play your emotions like a fiddle and get y’all riled up over nonsense. Ignore these fools and drivel and just watch the game. These guys are paid to go against the grain to get you all up in your feels, stop playing into their manipulative hands at your expense. They’re literally not worth the energy concentration or giving them a thought or consideration. 

Truth.

Bonckers likes this

Ah, the old scream/yell/say stupid controversial stuff on a sports show by the ever lame "sports" personalities...whether they are ex-players, want to be journalists, etc...not worth your time. It all started with that ridiculous PTI show, there are very few instances of any real analysis anymore, it is just click bait or attention whoring....

faceman, bigbrod81, Dale S and 4 others like this

I heard that retard last night. He and all the other retards are entitled to their opinion just like we're entitled to ours but those who have played the position know how great he is but Brees does not care what these fools say or think of him. I mean if that's that they gotta say to stay revalent well let them. We know how bad ass Drew Brees is and that's all that matters

Also, Peyton Manning had some awful division opponents throughout his career. There wasn't a viable winning qb for many years at Houston, Jacksonville or Tennessee, and that's just the start of it. Up and down defenses all of them, poorly coached with high turnover and loss of players to free agency, no pull factor. He dealt with Haynesworth at his peak for a couple of years, that was tough I guess. Wouldn't begrudge Manning or Brady any of their accomplishments, but to cross compare regular season records is ridiculous. How about Peyton's playoff record, given all that 14-2 talent he had at the Colts?

16 minutes ago, Kinsey said:

Also, Peyton Manning had some awful division opponents throughout his career. There wasn't a viable winning qb for many years at Houston, Jacksonville or Tennessee, and that's just the start of it. Up and down defenses all of them, poorly coached with high turnover and loss of players to free agency, no pull factor. He dealt with Haynesworth at his peak for a couple of years, that was tough I guess. Wouldn't begrudge Manning or Brady any of their accomplishments, but to cross compare regular season records is ridiculous. How about Peyton's playoff record, given all that 14-2 talent he had at the Colts?

Tom Brady's main competition most of his career was Vinnie Testaverde and Chad Pennington. That's a road map to a Div title and home field advantage. 

I think, it would really help, if we knew the opponent's defensive ranking of every match they played in their respective careers. Also, what about GOAT? I think GOAT is a misleading term, since every generation had it'S game and players. And Drew surely is a player who has significantly shaped the game and the league in his time. That's what counts 

From this weeks NFL.com PowerRankings:

.... "Total Access: Endgame" debated the Saints franchise quarterback's place among the NFL's all-time elite. The knock against Brees is that he has won "only" one Super Bowl, whereas guys like Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning, among others, have earned multiple Lombardi trophies. Well, that's dandy (and overly simplistic), but if you are going to consider a quarterback's ceiling -- i.e., how many championships he's won -- shouldn't you also take into account his floor? When have you ever seen Brees play poorly, or be the reason the Saints lost? Now, have you ever seen Manning or Joe Flacco stink up the joint? That's why I can't stand the wins metric for ranking quarterbacks. If the peanut gallery wants Flacco in its top tier of all time, so be it. Must be nice to walk out on the field and know your defense will hold the opponent under 20 points. How often has Brees' defenses in New Orleans provided that kind of support? Brees > Roethlisberger > Griese > Eli > Flacco > all but a select few passers to ever play the position. Period.

3 hours ago, boricko said:

.... "Total Access: Endgame" debated the Saints franchise quarterback's place among the NFL's all-time elite. The knock against Brees is that he has won "only" one Super Bowl, whereas guys like Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning, among others, have earned multiple Lombardi trophies. Well, that's dandy (and overly simplistic), but if you are going to consider a quarterback's ceiling -- i.e., how many championships he's won -- shouldn't you also take into account his floor? When have you ever seen Brees play poorly, or be the reason the Saints lost? Now, have you ever seen Manning or Joe Flacco stink up the joint? That's why I can't stand the wins metric for ranking quarterbacks. If the peanut gallery wants Flacco in its top tier of all time, so be it. Must be nice to walk out on the field and know your defense will hold the opponent under 20 points. How often has Brees' defenses in New Orleans provided that kind of support? Brees > Roethlisberger > Griese > Eli > Flacco > all but a select few passers to ever play the position. Period.

Whoever wrote that for NFL.com absolutely killed it. This guy/gal gets it & deserves credit for being one of the few who actually used logic on the topic. If Super Bowl wins are the measure of a QB then.........

Trent Dilfer > Dan Marino

Jeff Hostetler > Dan Marino

Brad Johnson > Dan Marino

Now how ridiculous does that sound? Anyone who brings up Eli Manning because of Super Bowl rings is an idiot. Outside of those 2 Super Bowl runs, Eli has been average to slightly above average while being a turnover machine with both fumbles & interceptions for a large part of his career. Even with elite talent around him, (OBJ & Barkley) Eli is still struggling this season. The media needs to stop with this garbage. IDGAF that he plays in New York. Consistency year in & year out matters. Elite QBs make those around him better. That has never been the case with Eli Manning. Ever.

maxresdefault.jpg

Eli has not been good for the last several years. Prior Giants management had realized this & were prepared to move on from Eli but of course others around the organization would rather keep Eli around for sentimental reasons. Those who were ready to go another route, were eventually fired. That is never good when you have a QB who play has eroded. There is no way to turn back the clock. This is a good article on the entire situation.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/57758/the-erosion-of-eli-the-giant-problem-with-the-franchise-qb

Saint ATN likes this

M J-D's PS record. And this dude doesn't give Drew credit. This planet has completely went gaga.

I like facts. When the stage was the biggest, Drew beat Peyton. So by what means PM is greater than Drew????

Ridiculous discussion.

Edited by boricko

On 10/10/2018 at 7:03 AM, boricko said:

BINGO!!!  We have a winner.

phil, Bonckers and Chuck like this