WhoDatinH-town

When will Brees break Manning's record?

27 posts in this topic

Think about this for a minute. We haven't really opened up the offense to its full potential. We bringing Meredith along slowly and we haven't unleashed Smith yet. The historic pace that Brees is on we do need to relish every last second of it and I gotta say that I've enjoyed the ride since 2006. I want him to get another championship whether we do it this year or next,just to send him off right..

Bonckers, gypsywoman and nolaspe like this

14 hours ago, faceman said:

I would prefer it to be in the dome, but I think it's this week vs the Giants  

I hope not also. I want us to rush for 150 yards in this game. It seems Peat may be getting close to 100% as he wasn't on the injury report at all this week that I can recall.

Bonckers, Chuck, faceman and 2 others like this

1 hour ago, phil said:

I'm excited about the record as well but it seems we do better as a team when Drew isn't breaking records.

Anyway, I made this for my Facebook page .......

oypqC.jpg

I disagree with you in a way. I get what you are saying. That if we are cruising along to an easy win, then Drew doesn’t necessarily have to air it out as much.

But these records, especially this one, are a reflection of his body of work over the course of his career with the Saints. We don’t have half the success we have had nor win a Super Bowl if Brees isn’t playing at such a high level over the course of the last 13 years. The team’s success and Drew’s excellence (and therefore his NFL records) go hand in hand in my opinion.

11 hours ago, Slidell Saint said:

I disagree with you in a way. I get what you are saying. That if we are cruising along to an easy win, then Drew doesn’t necessarily have to air it out as much.

But these records, especially this one, are a reflection of his body of work over the course of his career with the Saints. We don’t have half the success we have had nor win a Super Bowl if Brees isn’t playing at such a high level over the course of the last 13 years. The team’s success and Drew’s excellence (and therefore his NFL records) go hand in hand in my opinion.

And I get what you are saying. I so appreciate what Drew can do and I've even more appreciative he does it for us. I've shared before how I grew up watching the likes of Roger Staubach and Dan Fouts and Joe Montana while always imagining what having a Hall of Fame quarterback would be like. It is nice to have that talent when we need it.

I just think we do better as a team when the other phases are complementing Drew instead of relying on him to bail them out or overcome their shortcomings.

faceman and gypsywoman like this

I agree Phil last year was a "down" year for Brees because the run game carried more of the load even though he broke the completion record. I hope he breaks the record in the dome and breaks the completion record this year. From this point forward I hope we can lean on the run game more. Time will tell if the defense can stop the big plays. 

phil likes this

On 9/28/2018 at 9:52 PM, faceman said:

I would prefer it to be in the dome, but I think it's this week vs the Giants  

4 hours ago, phil said:

And I get what you are saying. I so appreciate what Drew can do and I've even more appreciative he does it for us. I've shared before how I grew up watching the likes of Roger Staubach and Dan Fouts and Joe Montana while always imagining what having a Hall of Fame quarterback would be like. It is nice to have that talent when we need it.

I just think we do better as a team when the other phases are complementing Drew instead of relying on him to bail them out or overcome their shortcomings.

I totally agree with this. The Saints are at their best when Brees is throwing for 4-4.5k a season and we are a top 10 running team...

4 hours ago, Chuck said:

I just hope that he's tossing it to a receiver near my end zone seats.  That's where it was for breaking both Unitas and Marino's records and I was IN THE HOUSE!  I plan to be there next week again.

Now THAT is SPECIAL!!

5 hours ago, longsuffrin said:

Damn, I missed it by 61 seconds.

Good call!

I have to say that when we got the ball back with almost 3 minutes left in the half with 35 yards to go for the record, I told the guy next to me in the Dome that "he breaks the record before halftime".  I wish I could have predicted that he would have broken it on the first play of that drive!

What a night to be in the Superdome.

A milestone passed and a total team dominating win on national television.

Bonckers, Chuck and Saint ATN like this

On 10/1/2018 at 2:05 PM, Chuck said:

I just hope that he's tossing it to a receiver near my end zone seats.  That's where it was for breaking both Unitas and Marino's records and I was IN THE HOUSE!  I plan to be there next week again.

And, again.  Smith ran it right into my corner of the Poydras Street end zone.

A very special night!

Bonckers, louder, Richard and 2 others like this

Here is my take on it.....Manning passed Favre by 102 yds...that was what, the last game he ever played? Drew just blew it away a quarter of the way thru the season and he isn't even done yet! If he plays another two years, that record will be untouchable!

Bonckers and Saint ATN like this

On 10/9/2018 at 7:34 PM, sailorsaint said:

Here is my take on it.....Manning passed Favre by 102 yds...that was what, the last game he ever played? Drew just blew it away a quarter of the way thru the season and he isn't even done yet! If he plays another two years, that record will be untouchable!

There are few passing records I would say are untouchable, if any.  The rule changes have made it so that even a decent QB, think Matthew Stafford, could be in the running for the passing yards record.  Certainly if Aaron Rodgers wasn't hurt all the time, he could challenge for it.  It's incredibly early in his career, but the weapons around Patrick Mahomes right now and his ascent so far as a QB.... you get the picture.  The NFL long ago turned the game into a passing league and thus the records are there for the taking.  Brees holds the record for most consecutive games with a passing TD at 54.  That's a stat that requires health and consistent greatness, but even then Brady made it to 52, Peyton Manning made it to 51 and Brees is also 5th on that list with 45. 

It takes a special set of circumstances for all these type of things to come together and certainly we have enjoyed that.  As a once starving franchise and fan base, I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

4 hours ago, Dru said:

There are few passing records I would say are untouchable, if any.  The rule changes have made it so that even a decent QB, think Matthew Stafford, could be in the running for the passing yards record.  Certainly if Aaron Rodgers wasn't hurt all the time, he could challenge for it.  It's incredibly early in his career, but the weapons around Patrick Mahomes right now and his ascent so far as a QB.... you get the picture.  The NFL long ago turned the game into a passing league and thus the records are there for the taking.  Brees holds the record for most consecutive games with a passing TD at 54.  That's a stat that requires health and consistent greatness, but even then Brady made it to 52, Peyton Manning made it to 51 and Brees is also 5th on that list with 45. 

It takes a special set of circumstances for all these type of things to come together and certainly we have enjoyed that.  As a once starving franchise and fan base, I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

I know it's technically not a record, but Brees threw 99 tds in a 100  consecutive game stretch. Unless we go to pure flag football rules, that will never be approached. 

Edited by faceman
Saint ATN, phil and Dru like this

On 9/30/2018 at 0:08 PM, Bonckers said:

I agree Phil last year was a "down" year for Brees because the run game carried more of the load even though he broke the completion record. I hope he breaks the record in the dome and breaks the completion record this year. From this point forward I hope we can lean on the run game more. Time will tell if the defense can stop the big plays. 

I disagree last year was a "down" year for Brees, I think it was one of his best...would you say the SB year (2009) was a down year for Brees also? Because statistically they were similar...