Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saint ATN

NFL reportedly to use Clay Matthews' controversial penalty as example of illegal QB hit

17 posts in this topic

NFL reportedly to use Clay Matthews' controversial penalty as example of illegal QB hit

The NFL’s reaction to Clay Matthews’ roughing-the-passer penalty Sunday is a lot different than the reaction out of Green Bay.

While Matthews and everyone else who plays, coaches or roots for the Packers complains about the foul on Minnesota Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins, the NFL will reportedly use it as an example of the type of penalty it wants called.

Sorry, Green Bay, what you saw Matthews do on Sunday is exactly what the NFL thinks is roughing the passer.

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero said in the league’s teaching tape of fouls from the previous game, Matthews’ “scoop and pull” technique will be an example of a foul the league wants called.

NFL wants to eliminate “scoop and pull” hits on QBs

Given the outrage over the Matthews’ call, considering it nullified an interception that would have sealed a Packers win, Pelissero’s report on NFL Network was quite interesting.

First, Pelissero reiterated that the penalty wasn’t because Matthews landed with his body weight on Cousins, which is another controversial aspect to the expanded roughing the passer rule. It was because Matthews lifted Cousins up in an upward motion and then drove him into the ground, which is illegal. Vikings linebacker Eric Kendricks got called for the same thing earlier in the Vikings-Packers game.

“These are to be considered to be judgment calls, and in the NFL’s judgment in general, that particular technique in is fact against the rules,” Pelissero said on NFL Network.

It’s a lot like the Jesse James catch rule controversy from last season, in that fans can complain about what they saw, but it was called exactly as the NFL wanted it, per its rulebook.

Matthews, Packers upset by the call

Of course, nobody in Wisconsin — aside from some Vikings fans in the western part of the state — want to hear the explanation.

They will believe that the call was bogus.

“I have so many emotions kind of running through as far as what a terrible call it was,” Matthews told reporters after the game. “But at the same time, I don’t know what else to do. I don’t know. You let me know. You tell me. Did I put pressure on him? I thought I hit him within his waist to chest, I got my head across, put my hands down. And to call it at that point in the game is just unbelievable.”

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said there is some gray area on what the roughing penalty is now.

“I get what the goal (of player safety) is, and we’re all for the goal being achieved, but at the same time, you have to make sure it’s not a competitive disadvantage to the pass rusher trying to hit the quarterback,” McCarthy said, according to Packers.com

It doesn’t seem so complicated to the NFL. Referee Tony Corrente was asked by pool reporter Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com after the game what Matthews could have done to avoid the penalty. 

“Not picked him up and drove him into the ground,” Corrente said. 

NFL thinks the call was correct

Complaining about officiating is just part of the NFL game. Fans complain, but they always want to talk about how bad calls are. If it’s not the catch rule, it’s the helmet rule. Once the helmet rule controversy calmed down, we found a roughing-the-passer penalty. It will always be something.

This week it will be a lot of drama about Matthews’ penalty. All the while, the NFL is going to use that as a textbook example of an illegal hit on the quarterback.

Linkypoo

I understand the NFL wants to protect quarterbacks (as defenseless players when they're in throwing motion) but this is not a problem that can be managed by rule.  Pass rush is integral part of the game.  In order for this rule to work the NFL is telling pass rushers that their principle concern should be quarterback protection, when their actual role is to go after the quarterback.  To have pass rushers thinking about the well being of the passers monkeys with the integrity of the game and actually could endanger the health of the pass rusher who is subject to being blocked without the same protective rules as the quarterback.  How many pass rushers have to be injured to equal one quarterback?  Bad rule! And that's what fans don't like!

I agree with you here too Wade. I'm sorry that Rodgers got hurt last year, but at the same time, he should have thrown the ball sooner. That was on the QB and we didn't need a rule change. In all honesty, I don't like the rule, you cant elevate the QB at all which means now you can't wrap up the QB that is what he did. All he was doing was wrapping up and taking him to the grand. He didn't even look like he tried to pick him up off the ground (scoop and pull). I guess they just want them to hit without wrapping up. The problem is when you hit a bigger QB like Scam and you don't wrap up he will bounce off and keep going. I do not like this rule at all and I feel it favors the offense and QB's too much when there are already so many rules that favor the offense to begin with.

I get going low yes it was a defenseless player in a bad position I get rules are changing due to player safety. I like the rule of not leading with the helmet that one makes sense. I get not striking a defenseless player like when a safety does it. But I also did not like the Seattle player basically taking a cheap shot on the offensive player when he was tagging down a defender during an INT last night. I think it was a cheap shot that you come to expect from Pete Carlo teams. Maybe I'm overreacting on that one, but an unnecessarily hard hit on a player by the sideline. 

Saint ATN likes this

1 hour ago, xardoz said:

The NFL is  ruining football for me.

Referees should not decide games.   That is the job of players and coaches.  Too many subjective penalties.

I do agree that them being subjective is a problem. At this point I'm not sure they can correct the problem without scrapping the rules and starting over. I do like that they worked on the catch rule though. 

Saint ATN likes this

Yeah they worked on the catch rule but they still don't know what a catch is. Tell ya the truth guys I don't know if I'm gonna watch any of the games any more I've had my fill pretty much. Look this is gonna happen in the playoffs and the Superbowl. You can't have the zebras deciding the outcome of games. It's just stupid plain stupid. For the NFL to come out and say that they're gonna use Matthews penalty as an example tells me that they dont know what ruffing the passer is cause that was a legal hit plain and simple.

Saint ATN and louder like this

I do not see people quitting football over this. Habits (especially ones that prompt people to join message boards based on that habit or discuss it regularly on social media as we do with the Saints here) are difficult to break, and the NFL has benefited tremendously from Sundays becoming the holy day of football worship in the Fall for families  which essentially is indoctrinating a built-in viewership base in the youth watching. However, the animosity the parents show with the product over the current state of the game a.k.a. "football has become a mockery of what I once loved, they don't hit anyone anymore!" will also bleed over. Kids are increasingly interested in E-sports such as League of Legends (anyone else play?) or CounterStrike as alternatives. That leads to a multi-layered attrition that will ultimately cull the fanbase over time as each generation is either reinforcing the habit of football being something worthy of devotion or negatively reinforcing how the game has changed and is as lesser sport than the one you so wistfully miss and once fervently loved.

The results I don't think will be immediate, but the trends are being fabricated as we speak even if we do not know which direction the current is flowing.

That touches not at all on concussions and the very real safety concerns.

Boxing and baseball via corruption and being a slave to tradition did not evolve with the times and no longer hold sway as they once did.

Football could be next.

Bonckers, Richard and Saint ATN like this

10 hours ago, Bonckers said:

I agree with you here too Wade. I'm sorry that Rodgers got hurt last year, but at the same time, he should have thrown the ball sooner. That was on the QB and we didn't need a rule change. In all honesty, I don't like the rule, you cant elevate the QB at all which means now you can't wrap up the QB that is what he did. All he was doing was wrapping up and taking him to the grand. He didn't even look like he tried to pick him up off the ground (scoop and pull). I guess they just want them to hit without wrapping up. The problem is when you hit a bigger QB like Scam and you don't wrap up he will bounce off and keep going. I do not like this rule at all and I feel it favors the offense and QB's too much when there are already so many rules that favor the offense to begin with.

I get going low yes it was a defenseless player in a bad position I get rules are changing due to player safety. I like the rule of not leading with the helmet that one makes sense. I get not striking a defenseless player like when a safety does it. But I also did not like the Seattle player basically taking a cheap shot on the offensive player when he was tagging down a defender during an INT last night. I think it was a cheap shot that you come to expect from Pete Carlo teams. Maybe I'm overreacting on that one, but an unnecessarily hard hit on a player by the sideline. 

I was shocked that no flag was flown on the Seattle player for that cheap shot after that interception.  The play was clearly over.  And he drilled that Bears receiver who was clearly defenseless at that point.

Slidell Saint likes this

16 hours ago, Wade said:

I understand the NFL wants to protect quarterbacks (as defenseless players when they're in throwing motion) but this is not a problem that can be managed by rule.  Pass rush is integral part of the game.  In order for this rule to work the NFL is telling pass rushers that their principle concern should be quarterback protection, when their actual role is to go after the quarterback.  To have pass rushers thinking about the well being of the passers monkeys with the integrity of the game and actually could endanger the health of the pass rusher who is subject to being blocked without the same protective rules as the quarterback.  How many pass rushers have to be injured to equal one quarterback?  Bad rule! And that's what fans don't like!

It has taken 42 years, but Jack Lamberts suggestion has came true.

watch?v=obRb1xpBCyc

On 9/19/2018 at 2:08 AM, faceman said:

It has taken 42 years, but Jack Lamberts suggestion has came true.

watch?v=obRb1xpBCyc

I completely disagree with Jack Lambert.

He said it might be a good idea to put dresses on them.

Edited by Brian Milici
faceman and Slidell Saint like this

The past two calls on Mathews are B.S.  Last week he actually reached out to break his fall.

Today he tackled TD man and fell on him...he didn’t drive him into the ground... (and is agreed having a 300lb man drive a QB into the ground should be a penalty).... Clay had become the poster boy for bad calls

Richard, Bonckers and Saint ATN like this

I watched a break down of the play. Clay Matthews even went so far as to try and roll away as much as he could. He used fists when he tackled so he didn't grab cloth. I honestly don't know what more he could do other than to try and tackle low, which is also illegal. It is a bunch of BS plain and simple. That play didn't affect the outcome but more calls will. I honestly don't know what defenders do other than lightly tackle QB's. good luck with that on Cam or Big Ben. outside of tackles the thighs, or dragging a QB down by their Jersey you can't hit them anymore. It is getting crazy. He is right that the league is getting soft. 

Richard likes this

I've said it before, the League is run by lawyers and they are "protecting the shield" by covering their asses on player safety. Most likely nary a one of those lawyers have ever played football in their lives and just don't have a clue as to the dynamics and physics of tackling. Get some of them padded up and let them get a taste of reality, maybe then they will understand that a 300 pound DT can't stop instantly (inertial dampeners don't exist-yet).

I agree Richard with most of what you are saying, but I believe this rule was suggested and implemented by the competition committee which is made up of coaches, not lawyers. Just curious how it was defined, and if we can make changes to it that make sense. I agree that it is far out there and needs refining but I also understand trying to protect players or at least the image that they are trying to do that. This rule came about because of the Arron Rodgers injury, but honestly, Aaron should have protected himself better last year and this crap would not be happening. 

its getting to point where I see QB's wearing flags & as long as they are in the box you have to go for the flag not the QB. Once he exits the box than he can be tackled (granted with not helmet to helmet, pile driving to the ground etc).

It is past stupid right now & if the NFL keeps it up the sport will be lost.