Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saint ATN

N/S Packers and Vikings Tie?!?

10 posts in this topic

That was quite an epic game of shanks that has left both the Packers and the Vikings with identical 1-0-1 records the second week of the season. They are both playoff contenders in the NFC and this standing will affect the rest of the season for both, but also the entire NFC. It leaves home-field advantage also very open against two very dangerous opponents you don't wanna face in Jan. depending on how the season shakes out.

It could potentially also force the rules of OT to once again change come this offseason. I have a feeling this discussion will continue and potentially escalate the discussion all season as well. Two games in both conferences the first two weeks of the season are unprecedented at this point and leaves the door wide open for home-field advantage in both conferences until the last week of the season. 

I do now see there is going to be conversations this offseason about changing it. I have never been a fan of the format used in the NFL. I think the NFL format still does not make a team want to avoid OT at all costs. An NFL team would rather take a knee. If we do the college format you would see coaches do everything they could to not tie. Including going for two when you score a TD towards the end of the game. JMO. I would say the college format in the pros would be more exciting. 

2 hours ago, Bonckers said:

I do now see there is going to be conversations this offseason about changing it. I have never been a fan of the format used in the NFL. I think the NFL format still does not make a team want to avoid OT at all costs. An NFL team would rather take a knee. If we do the college format you would see coaches do everything they could to not tie. Including going for two when you score a TD towards the end of the game. JMO. I would say the college format in the pros would be more exciting. 

The problem with the college OT rule is there would be some records broken that wouldn't be deserved. I remember the 2001 Ole Ms. vs Arkansas 7 OT game in 2001. The score at the end of regulation was 17-17. Eli Manning had 1 Td. in regulation and finished with 6. Under the current NFL rules favoring offense, I could see an NFL Qb. throwing 10+ Td passes. That wouldn't be right. 

You could be right Face, but the current system I think is broken let each team start at the then. Not a guaranteed FG or TD at that point.  There has to be an alternative other than a tie. I doubt the Saints get into this kind of situation, but two times in the first week means it will get brought up in the offseason. Imagine if we see another tie or two. Everyone is going to lose their collective minds in the sports world at the end of the year. 

1 hour ago, Bonckers said:

You could be right Face, but the current system I think is broken let each team start at the then. Not a guaranteed FG or TD at that point.  There has to be an alternative other than a tie. I doubt the Saints get into this kind of situation, but two times in the first week means it will get brought up in the offseason. Imagine if we see another tie or two. Everyone is going to lose their collective minds in the sports world at the end of the year. 

The original rule was fine. The first team that scores should win. if a team loses they have no one to blame but themselves. They had 60 minutes of regulation to avoid a tie. 

I still expect a change in the ruling. I honestly don't have a problem with a tie at all. Yes, it sucks, but at the same time it exists for a reason and has since the beginning of football. I do expect the public to push for changes since I do see it affecting playoff seating for the Vikings and Packers. Two higher-profile teams. Especially since both now have franchise QB's. 

On 9/17/2018 at 2:49 PM, faceman said:

The problem with the college OT rule is there would be some records broken that wouldn't be deserved. I remember the 2001 Ole Ms. vs Arkansas 7 OT game in 2001. The score at the end of regulation was 17-17. Eli Manning had 1 Td. in regulation and finished with 6. Under the current NFL rules favoring offense, I could see an NFL Qb. throwing 10+ Td passes. That wouldn't be right. 

2-point conversion stats don't count. 

"No rushing, passing, receiving, interception, tackle or sack statistics shall be credited during a two point conversion attempt."

Which makes no sense as that's a direct scoring play and a sack or turnover directly removes points from the board and a successful run or catch actually equates to points on the board. Those stats would seem to be some of the most important one would think.

They could simply make a new category of stats including overtime.

There's also the notion of shortening OT to say 8 minutes and then if it's still tied going to a "shootout" style format akin to hockey and soccer with the variances obviously befitting the sport. Each team gets 2 point conversion tries until one team fails? 

You could go to college rules and make field goals worth 1 point and a touchdown worth 2 points and treat it like 2 point conversion stats and allow those to count as well for uniformity? Haven't given it much thought. I'm sure together we could come up with something that would work.

Saint ATN likes this