phil

Former NFL/AFL Greats - Ernie Ladd

9 posts in this topic

Phil, Do me a favor and post  Tony Sardisco. He was my coach at Jesuit, man was a character and from what has been said about him, he was one hell of a football player. I think you would be surprised.

Lived across the Bayou Teche from Mr. Ladd. He was the nicest guy. HUGE guy with the biggest heart. He was always so kind and caring for my brother who is blind and autistic. He had to live on the other side of the bayou because his wife was white. It was one of those 'unwritten' rules of living in that area of Southern Louisiana that you grow up hearing about, I don't/didn't agree with it, it just was what it was. I had only known him as a neighbor it was only as I got into Mid South Wrestling when I was 10 that I realized who I was actually seeing on TV. As I learned about his football career I was gobsmacked to learn of his years at KC with the Chiefs. He was so humble and nice, I had no idea of the true mean streak he truly had. Seeing how he played, I was beyond thankful and glad I never made him mad at me. RIP Mr. Ladd

bigbrod81, faceman and phil like this

13 hours ago, Richard said:

Phil, Do me a favor and post  Tony Sardisco. He was my coach at Jesuit, man was a character and from what has been said about him, he was one hell of a football player. I think you would be surprised.

Did a quick check and he spent some time with the Patriots in the early years of the AFL. As of now, I have absolutely no pictures of him [that I know of]. I can do some digging in my books and magazines to see what I can come up with.

Give me a few days. Let me see what I can come up with.

12 hours ago, Saint ATN said:

Lived across the Bayou Teche from Mr. Ladd. He was the nicest guy. HUGE guy with the biggest heart. He was always so kind and caring for my brother who is blind and autistic. He had to live on the other side of the bayou because his wife was white. It was one of those 'unwritten' rules of living in that area of Southern Louisiana that you grow up hearing about, I don't/didn't agree with it, it just was what it was. I had only known him as a neighbor it was only as I got into Mid South Wrestling when I was 10 that I realized who I was actually seeing on TV. As I learned about his football career I was gobsmacked to learn of his years at KC with the Chiefs. He was so humble and nice, I had no idea of the true mean streak he truly had. Seeing how he played, I was beyond thankful and glad I never made him mad at me. RIP Mr. Ladd

Thanks for the story!

That is what I have enjoyed so much about these sites. Researching these guys and finding out a part of them that could never be shown on the football field.

Saint ATN likes this

15 hours ago, Saint ATN said:

This is an awesome story!

phil likes this

Ernie Ladd was the greatest heel in pro wrestling history. I'll see if I can find the Jim Cornett interview. Jim said his knees were so bad from football, he had to carry a chair with him,so he could stop and sit down from time to time.  

edit- looks like the uploader has taken it down. If you followed Mid south wrestling like I did when I was a kid,Cornette was manager of many heels. He basically expressed the same sentiments as ATN. His in ring persona was totally opposite from the real man. Cornette said he has never met a nicer man in the business than Ladd. 

Edited by faceman
bigbrod81 and Saint ATN like this

The reason I wanted Coach Sardisco to be posted is that he and Ernie were best of friends, many a time Coach would pull out old film from his days with the Patriots and regale us with stories of him and Ernie running the roads, as it were.