Boris

Who thinks the Saints will turn it around this week?

23 posts in this topic

I remember last year after the preseason and the first two games, everyone was ready to fire the head coach and trade Drew Brees.  The Saints made an incredible turnaround and almost made it to the NFC Championship game. 

Those first two games were at the Vikings and then the Patriots, pretty tough opponents.  This year, we lose to the Bucs, a division rival. 

Who believes the Saints will turn it around this week? 

You have a very hungry Browns team, with a pretty good defense.  They should have beaten the Steelers, but screwed it up like only the Browns do.

I am trying to figure out how the Saints D can turn it around in a week.  Tyrod Taylor is no Ryan Fitzgerald, but I don't know if that is good or bad.  Browns  have some pretty good receivers. 

Personally, I think this game is a toss up. 

Edited by Boris

Cleveland seems to always give us problems.

I didn't watch the game so I don't really have a feel for what this team is doing. But I do know the last 2 seasons my take was we were a young team that worked to overcome mistakes and get better.

I have a hard time believing things have changed.

I will say I think it is a toss-up. If the defensive performance can be based on missed assignments, bad technique and mental errors like Payton said, then a win is possible. I'm not entirely sold that is what it is though. I do think we could win or be blown out. I don't see it any other way. 

I believe that we do turn it around for the simple reason that we have the talent. Our defense can be good, but they are also young and have now learned a tough lesson about what the NFL is and what happens when you believe your own hype, don’t take things seriously, and don’t condition properly. 

Edited by hardeeflag

Of course I think we can turn it around.  At the same time, I'm snake bitten when it comes to this defense.  There's simply too many recent years of inept trash on film to disregard a game like we had against the Bucs where they literally seemed to be playing against air.  

I agree that the talent is there, we saw it last season and for a prolonged period.  I just hope they can get it done in one week and that last week was a fluke.  Fitz running on us opens up a new can of worms that other teams will utilize against us if we can't button it up immediately.  And Tyrod can run.

I'll add this:  Our team, like many in the NFL, is not getting much out of the preseason for preparing the starters to play in a real game.  The preseason games are going at 75% of the speed of the regular season games, if that.  They are also populated with a lot of guys who aren't making NFL rosters.  I understand the injury concern, but we might get a leg up on the early competition if we actually used game 3 of the preseason to get our starters ready.  Instead, many teams in the NFL are working out the kinks in the first few weeks of the season.

Edited by Dru

People are saying last week’s tie with Pitt was the “most Cleveland” way to end the losing streak. Well, you know the “most New Orleans” thing would be for the Saints to lose to the Browns next week.

Here’s hoping we get our collective ass in gear.

Saint ATN and zeke187 like this

I read an article last night where Lattimore struggled in training camp. Guess some chalked it up to having to guard Michael Thomas & Alvin Kamara.

I don’t recall hearing that during camp, but coupled with his most recent performance, I wonder what’s going on?

Edited by BlackNGold4Life

The Browns didn't get a Loss last week, but they didn't get a win either. If we aren't on top of our game, they will this weekend. If we play like we did against TB last week, we lose. If we play like we did last year, we win. It's all up to the players now.

22 hours ago, BlackNGold4Life said:

I read an article last night where Lattimore struggled in training camp. Guess some chalked it up to having to guard Michael Thomas & Alvin Kamara.

I don’t recall hearing that during camp, but coupled with his most recent performance, I wonder what’s going on?

It's funny I remember reading where there were days he got the best of MT, and days were MT got the best of him. I heard nothing about him getting beat most of camp. I think someone could be reaching with that article. 

On 9/12/2018 at 10:41 AM, BlackNGold4Life said:

It had to do with Lattimore trying to refine his technique.

Lattimore is now working to refine his talent. That means introducing new techniques that might feel awkward for a while. Lattimore wouldn’t share what some of those things are, referring to them as his “secret sauce.” But once he masters them, they will help him take his game to a new level. Until then, that means letting people see you chasing in a video from time to time, but that’s what training camp is all about.

“You've got to work it, because if you never work it, and you just continue to use old habits — because if it feels good, but it’s going to get you beat sometimes, you’re not doing any good,” secondary coach Aaron Glenn said.

“You might get beat on a couple plays, but you got to focus on what we are trying to work on. What is the goal here? Is the goal here to change it and make sure we’re dominant, doing the things we’re trying to do, or just revert back to your old techniques, and you’re not really sound in the things we’re trying to teach?”

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/saints/article_04628ba0-a0ce-11e8-b13f-73982c285c3a.html

The question becomes why would you want to change something that was so successful in his rookie year? We're going to have to trust Aaron Glenn & Marshon Lattimore here. Trust that Glenn is trying to mold Lattimore's technique where it pays off for years to come. Trust that Lattimore has the ability & work ethic to master what he is being taught. If not, it's going to be a "sophomore slump" that may keep the team from reaching their offseason goals. Hopefully Lattimore can clean this up quickly.

18 minutes ago, bigbrod81 said:

The question becomes why would you want to change something that was so successful in his rookie year? We're going to have to trust Aaron Glenn & Marshon Lattimore here. Trust that Glenn is trying to mold Lattimore's technique where it pays off for years to come. Trust that Lattimore has the ability & work ethic to master what he is being taught. If not, it's going to be a "sophomore slump" that may keep the team from reaching their offseason goals. Hopefully Lattimore can clean this up quickly.

Definitely makes me nervous.

Bonckers and bigbrod81 like this

4 minutes ago, Dru said:

Definitely makes me nervous.

Same here especially seeing that this carried over into the first regular season game. Lattimore wasn't just beaten at times, he was beaten badly. He didn't look anywhere near the player we saw his rookie year. Crawley was just as bad. My fingers are crossed, hoping this isn't a situation where the coaches aren't overthinking by changing up the corners techniques after what they did last season worked so well.

Bonckers likes this

Technique is important and has it's place, but if it is going against/tampering against Lattimore's instincts (which I believe are more important) than they are over-thinking it. Like Brod said why try to fix something that isn't broken...It would be different if he began regressing last year but I thought he pretty much limited Theilan (who is one of the better WR's in the NFL) to little damage in the game against Minny...

bigbrod81 likes this

I watched a little demonstration years ago with Rod Woodson and Ty Law.  Law was still playing and Woodson was only retired a couple years at the time.  They were demonstrating how they play corner, redirecting receivers, using the sideline, being on an island, etc.  What I gathered from it was that both guys had some different techniques and some things / styles they exaggerated more than what the other guy did.  Both were All Pro players.

You don't mess with Dan Marino's throwing motion or how he passes the football.  Period.  Aaron Glenn was a Pro Bowler and played a lot of years in this league, but without being there to see what's going on, I have to question this.  This isn't a golf swing, at least not in my mind.  Why not build off of what he was already doing?  IDK.

Edited by Dru
bigbrod81 and Bonckers like this

36 minutes ago, sfidc2 said:

why try to fix something that isn't broken....

I know I'm cherry picking,but this reminds me of a meeting I went to in the mid 80's. Our national sales director came to the floor. He said the phrase he hates most is "if it ain't broke,don't fix it". He cited MacDonalds as a business model. They were the leading sellers of hamburgers in the world. They gambled and introduced ice cream as an important part of the menu, they became the worlds largest seller of Ice Cream. The same with fish and chicken later. he was basically saying don't rest on your laurels. If they had, MacDonalds may have gone broke like many burger chains in the 50's and 60's. I have Faith Lattimore will make the adjustment. The only problem I have is he should have been given more snaps in pre season. 

fjw70, Brian Milici, Richard and 1 other like this

16 hours ago, faceman said:

I know I'm cherry picking,but this reminds me of a meeting I went to in the mid 80's. Our national sales director came to the floor. He said the phrase he hates most is "if it ain't broke,don't fix it". He cited MacDonalds as a business model. They were the leading sellers of hamburgers in the world. They gambled and introduced ice cream as an important part of the menu, they became the worlds largest seller of Ice Cream. The same with fish and chicken later. he was basically saying don't rest on your laurels. If they had, MacDonalds may have gone broke like many burger chains in the 50's and 60's. I have Faith Lattimore will make the adjustment. The only problem I have is he should have been given more snaps in pre season. 

I get what you are saying Face, but I think it is apples and oranges here. If Lattimore played like he did his first year every year he would likely be a HOFer. I just don't think your analogy fits....there is no "figuring out" a corner that can cover. If so by the end of last season Lattimore's play would have dropped off, it really didn't....we will see what happens...

Brian Milici and Slidell Saint like this

Lattimore needs to develop technique. Guys will have studied him all offseason and he didn't play much at tOSU so he needs live reps and to really sharpen his game overall. There will be growing pains with that, and let's also realize he's facing the best guy every week. The problem to me is that Crawley is playing like a shell of himself from a year ago. You had both playing at a higher level. Lattimore's natural ability combined with better development and application of technique will ultimately pay significant dividends. I think we all agree there. He just needs repetition so there's no thinking and just simple muscle memory. Time is the enemy there. Crawley though has to pick up his game and play better. He knows every game he's going to be the guy teams pick on between the two. 

The best news of the game was hearing Zach Strief say Terron told him that Davenport plays very heavy. That means he's going to be able to anchor down and really play stout against the run once again in time and that's great news. This defense really grew in confidence after a big week three performance against a divisional foe that looked fantastic and to be a sure loss for the Saints one year ago. Let's hope the same happens this year against Atlanta. The script seems similar.

Bonckers and Saint ATN like this