Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dru

Gruden trades 5th rounder for... wait for it.... AJ McCarron

22 posts in this topic

I'm beside myself laughing.

If I were a Raider fan, I'd be wondering if he is purposefully trying to sink the team.  In all reality, this is Gruden's M.O., his history shows that he always is stockpiling QBs.  But who is giving up ANYTHING for AJ McCarron?

The Buffalo Bills traded quarterback AJ McCarron to the Oakland Raiders for a 2019 fifth-round draft pick on Saturday.

The Raiders, who will owe McCarron his fully guaranteed, $900,000 base salary this season, also waived quarterback Connor Cook on Saturday.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24548115/buffalo-bills-trade-aj-mccarron-oakland-raiders

The Bills will be in the running for the 1st pick in the draft this coming offseason.  Feel for the fans, but hopefully they enjoyed their one time playoff birth.  It's going to be awhile.

bigbrod81 and Saint ATN like this

Dru they still are rebuilding that roster. I am not sold they will make the playoffs for a while either. They need some serious turnover. This is probably McCoy's last year as well. 

Gruden is just endearing himself to everyone, said no Raiders fans I know. The seething hate and vitriol going his direction, he will need a bodyguard on the sidelines this year. I’ve found no one willing to support him after Mack was moved, this will only add fuel to an out of control dumpster fire.

Since he's been out of coaching his ego has grown by leaps and bounds. He just don't care who he pisses off. In this business that's not good. You drive away your fan base you won't be head coach for long.

2 hours ago, The gun slinger said:

Since he's been out of coaching his ego has grown by leaps and bounds. He just don't care who he pisses off. In this business that's not good. You drive away your fan base you won't be head coach for long.

I don't think any NFL coach cares if his personnel decisions piss off the fan base.

I know Gruden won a Super Bowl, but I always felt he was an over-rated coach.  5 of his 11 years as head coach he was .500 or below.  I know that means he has 6 as a winning record, but two are 9-7 and even though technically winning, my opinion is 9-7 typically won't qualify you for the playoffs so that is a negative season.  He only had 4 seasons of 10 wins or more.  Far from an exceptional head coach in my opinion.

faceman likes this

49 minutes ago, Drew said:

I know Gruden won a Super Bowl, but I always felt he was an over-rated coach.  5 of his 11 years as head coach he was .500 or below.  I know that means he has 6 as a winning record, but two are 9-7 and even though technically winning, my opinion is 9-7 typically won't qualify you for the playoffs so that is a negative season.  He only had 4 seasons of 10 wins or more.  Far from an exceptional head coach in my opinion.

I agree and I think most people that looked further than the surface agree too.

One of the ways I've seen sort of manifest itself is during the discussion of Super Bowl winning coaches who will go into the HOF.  If you're only a single Super Bowl winner, as a coach, you're still on the outside looking in unless you have some other major creds.  Sean Payton is usally on the bubble during these rankings and Gruden is typically at or near the bottom of the list.

herb and Bonckers like this

The Raidahs did this before with a semi-successful coach that was initially successful there before leaving and then came back to the team after years of retirement. The game had outpaced Shaw and even though Gruden has been in the booth, the game has changed since he was a coach. I also do not disagree with the fact that he's just an above average coach but an electric personality and ego. He clashed out the gate with a number of players, Mack being one and when you trade away your leader you had better have one in your locker room to replace him and I don't see that. What happened to Art will happen to John and he'll wish he stayed in the booth in the end. He's going to permanently kill his own myth due to his inability to work with his players. That's the inside word I have from the local season ticket holders that I cross paths with. 

faceman likes this

10 hours ago, Drew said:

I always saw Gruden in the booth as being pretty much the same thing as the league not having a team in Los Angeles: every team threatened to move there to extort a new stadium deal out of their market. 

With Gruden, he was always in the top 5 list anytime another coach lost his job...he was every sports writer's "LA" to throw out as 'the next probable hire'.  The thing is, nobody was really interested in hiring him (except the Raiders).

With Gruden trading for McCarron, Brent Mussburger is suddenly looking forward to covering Raiders games.

Vegas, baby! Vegas!

Edited by herb
Drew, bigbrod81 and faceman like this

On 9/3/2018 at 8:28 AM, herb said:

With Gruden trading for McCarron, Brent Mussburger is suddenly looking forward to covering Raiders games.

Vegas, baby! Vegas!

Bro, I think you missed your real calling in life as a comedian. Who wouldn't like covering McCarron if it means running into Katherine Webb.

Webb-Finger.gif

faceman, Bonckers and dtgSaintsFan like this

15 minutes ago, bigbrod81 said:

Bro, I think you missed your real calling in life as a comedian. Who wouldn't like covering McCarron if it means running into Katherine Webb.

Webb-Finger.gif

I was wondering how many people would get that. If you watch old videos of his NFL Today on CBS, you could tell he had a chauvinistic/ creepy side to his personality. He once made a pass at Phyillis George on the sidelines at the old Metropolitan stadium in Mn.  

bigbrod81 and Bonckers like this

53 minutes ago, faceman said:

I was wondering how many people would get that. If you watch old videos of his NFL Today on CBS, you could tell he had a chauvinistic/ creepy side to his personality. He once made a pass at Phyillis George on the sidelines at the old Metropolitan stadium in Mn.  

You should know that many of us here knew what Herb was hinting at. 😉😉😉

Bonckers likes this

I don't get it?  It seemed like AJ McCarron was a great back-up in Cinci?  He got hurt and probably didn't get a fair shake at the starter position, but I think he's proven to be a solid back-up.  Way better than Cook

The only good thing about the Raiders coming to Vegas is that every four years or so, i don't have to drive far to see the Saints ;-0

Moving Mack was Idiocy. But this is the same guy whom was high on Paxton Lynch at one point. 

I love me some Gruden, but he became a personality of overhype in my opinion. This isn't the same game as it was then. 

I was a Bay Area resident when the Bucs beat the Raiders in the Super Bowl. He beat the team that he had just left and was lining up in Bucs practice pre super bowl; as a CB showing the defense EXACTLY what Gannon was going to do, including audibles. This was in addition to an exceptional Bucs D.

bigbrod81, Dru and Bonckers like this

14 minutes ago, BlackNGold4Life said:

The only good thing about the Raiders coming to Vegas is that every four years or so, i don't have to drive far to see the Saints ;-0

Moving Mack was Idiocy. But this is the same guy whom was high on Paxton Lynch at one point. 

I love me some Gruden, but he became a personality of overhype in my opinion. This isn't the same game as it was then. 

I was a Bay Area resident when the Bucs beat the Raiders in the Super Bowl. He beat the team that he had just left and was lining up in Bucs practice pre super bowl; as a CB showing the defense EXACTLY what Gannon was going to do, including audibles. This was in addition to an exceptional Bucs D.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but since the Saints and raiders are in different conferences they only play every 8 years in a city. The match up is every 4, but they alternate home and away