Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saint ATN

Saints Unofficial Depth Chart 8/5/18

11 posts in this topic

Saints release their first unofficial depth chart. Nothing too revealing. Rankins/Onyemata listed as co-starters at DT. Te’o listed as the starter at MLB. Vereen listed as the top backup at RB. Savage as backup QB. But those are still wide-open competitions.

Dj6-X8qXsAAv--o.jpg

Swede Saint and Bonckers like this

I have no problem if Teo plays mike in the 4-3 base as he was great at run tackling and run defense last year especially in goal line situations. 

Edit: I am curiosu to see how the WR, LB, and return positions work themselves out. I am a little surprsued TLL is gettgin first crack at return duties, hopefully he wins it as he can contribute at WR too. 

Edited by Bonckers

3 hours ago, Bonckers said:

I have no problem if Teo plays mike in the 4-3 base as he was great at run tackling and run defense last year especially in goal line situations. 

Edit: I am curiosu to see how the WR, LB, and return positions work themselves out. I am a little surprsued TLL is gettgin first crack at return duties, hopefully he wins it as he can contribute at WR too. 

When viewing this chart, yeah the LB position and TLL as 1st team Punt & Kick returner are the ones that raise some eyebrows.  But you know this depth chart doesn't mean anything at this point.  

I agree it will be fun to watch how the LB snaps get divided and who plays where.  It's also somewhat of a head scratcher that we've accumulated so many guys who can play, but at a position that, more often than not, has 2 guys or less on the field.  Even with healthy contracts given to Davis and Klein, we didn't break the bank for any of those guys and that's a big part of why we've been able to stack the position.

I would agree on most LB's we paiad a decent price, but we are paying Davis 8 mill a year. That is a lot of money. Saying that most of our defensive starters are on the cheap side right now. Even if you count Teo and Kelin. I mean shoot over half are on rookie contracts. There is only 8 LB's in the NFL making more per year than Davis. I just looked it up. 

https://overthecap.com/position/inside-linebacker/

In coach's post game presser he mentioned that the idea of putting Anzalone in the middle was an easy decision because Manti Te'o was out.  With Anzalone having played weakside as a rookie and only getting to play in so many games prior to injury last season, it's surprising to me that was the first choice when putting someone in for Te'o.  It's still early, but it seems at this point the coaches have chosen to play Davis at Will.  Could be that they feel they can best utilize his talents at Will for covering TEs and RBs and blitzing at times.  I don't think the team worries about Klein because they already know they can slide him over to MLB and that he can handle it.  But if you're trying to get your best LBs on the field, is Te'o better than Anzalone?  I don't know.  Maybe as a two down player he is.

https://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2018/08/watch_sean_paytons_press_confe.html

Bonckers likes this

I believe Teo showed them last year he is great in run support and is a very smart field general. I feel oni the NFL the last two years that the will has taken the positon of most important LB or close to it. The do more pass coverage than any other LB position. I think at this point they are trying to figure out the best way to utilize our LB's. I am not the biggest fan of Kelin. He is average in my opinion. But the coaches like him, and will keep him on the field. Saying that there is a chacne Payton wanted to see Klein and Davis ant Sam and Will in the game and was willing to just put next man up in the Mike position time will tell. 

I'd love for us to have at least one more above average NT/DT.  Hopefully someone steps up and provides depth there.

We'd be kind of thin if either Rankins or Onyemata get injured.

I like Te'o but man,Davis will be our Mike. He has gotten better every year in coverage and can't wait to see what he does in Allen's D. Te'o has a place on this team but he has to be protected. He is a downhill thumper and sideline to sideline in the run game but below average in coverage but his game has gotten better since he's been here. But I see Davis as the starting Mike but hell it aint bad to have Te'o as Davis back-up. 

Kind of interesting note since they have been playing him at WLB this entire time thus far.  Coach is always talking about 'having a vision' for a player so it strikes me as odd they wouldn't sell that vision to him to ink him to a FA deal.  Also shows Davis didn't care much, just wanted to be a Saint and close to his home.

As Davis explained Wednesday, the Saints never told him of a specific vision when they signed him to a three-year, $24 million deal that ranks ninth among inside linebackers in terms of average annual value.

"They just mentioned that they wanted me, and I wanted to play here," said Davis, who grew up nearby in Mississippi. "So, it was a match made in heaven."

https://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2018/08/demario_davis_saints_position.html#incart_river_index

Bonckers likes this

I am excited to see if he and Scott can get some good returns in the next couple of weeks. I thought they both did good in week 1.