Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dru

NFL lingo taught by Drew Brees and Sean Payton

7 posts in this topic

It was a great read! Yes it was very inpressive he knew the plays, the na,e of them, and even when they were called. It's crazy his memory. I knew he had a work ethic, but that memory definitely helps make him as good as he is. 

Richard likes this

I really don't think it'll be much of a stretch to see Brees as a QB coach or asst. OC when he retires from playing.The man is a veritable encyclopaedia of knowledge of many years of being a true student of the game. I'd be willing to bet he'll understudy with Carmichael for a few years then he'll be ready to fly solo. His knowledge of defenses alone is formidable, I'd hazard a guess he'd be a good evaluator of talent on that side of the field. That having been said, as an analyst on TV, he would blow some folks doors in and run though them. I've always respected Gruden and Dilfer for their fair and knowledgeable insight, But I think Brees would outshine them immediately.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I really don't think it'll be much of a stretch to see Brees as a QB coach or asst. OC when he retires from playing.The man is a veritable encyclopaedia of knowledge of many years of being a true student of the game. I'd be willing to bet he'll understudy with Carmichael for a few years then he'll be ready to fly solo. His knowledge of defenses alone is formidable, I'd hazard a guess he'd be a good evaluator of talent on that side of the field. That having been said, as an analyst on TV, he would blow some folks doors in and run though them. I've always respected Gruden and Dilfer for their fair and knowledgeable insight, But I think Brees would outshine them immediately.

To understudy with Carmichael he'd probably have to begin coaching right after, or very soon after retiring.  There's no way I see that.  Not with the demands of his time football has already put on him.  He's got young children who are still growing up and I'd bet money he is going to get involved with them and their sports.  He's also a business man / investor, so he's in Jimmy Johns and Untuck It.  That will offer some opportunities for him.  Down the road, it's also possible he considers a political career of some sort.

The 38-year-old QB is like a living God in New Orleans and is incredibly involved in the community -- so, when we saw him at LAX, we asked if he'd thought about politics after his days with the Saints are over. 

"It won't be the first thing I do, but I'm not gonna rule it out," Brees told us. 

So far as a commentator, I love Brees as much as anyone, but I think he runs the risk of being too bland.  That doesn't mean there isn't a job out there for him, but I don't know that he brings the personality that Gruden did, or like Tony Romo did this past season.

Bonckers likes this

I agree Dru he is such a fierce competitior with a phenomenal work ethic that I see home being great at anything he wants to do. Saying that I don't see him doing coaching or announcing after its all said and done. I'm not sold he does politics either unless its on a small scale at first. I think his business opportunities will take most of his energy and time the kids don't take from him. I could see when they go off to college him doing politics, or somehting more in depth with football. But outside of maybe the occasional preseason game commentary you won't see him do that too much with football. It has been such a huge dominating factor of his life I think like Manning he will take a break from it. Shoot even Elway stepped away for a while before coming back to work for the Broncos. 

That is why our offense keeps opposing defensive coordinators up all night trying to figure out how to stop us. I just wish we weren't in such cap hell all those years so that we could've provided Brees with better defenses cause he should have way more rings. I still dont get why he's so underrated and underappreciated by many in the league.