Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nolaspe

Strief finalist to do Saints play by play...

4 posts in this topic

I can dig it, he knows his football...

https://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2018/07/zach_strief_still_in_the_mix_f.html?utm_medium=organic-socialflow&utm_campaign=new-orleans-saints&utm_source=facebook

Zach Strief among finalists for Saints radio play-by-play position

Updated 7:18 PM; Posted 4:22 PM

By Jeff Dumbass

Former New Orleans Saints tackle Zach Strief is a finalist for the club's radio play-by-play position, according to sources familiar with the search.

Former WWL-TV anchor Mike Hoss and New Orleans Pelicans play-by-play men, Sean Kelley and Joel Meyers, are also still under consideration for the job, which opened when Jim Henderson, the longtime voice of the Saints, retired in February.

It's unclear if any other candidates are still under consideration of the position, which is employed by Entercom Communications, the parent company of WWL-AM, which owns the rights to the Saints radio broadcasts. New Orleans Saints executives are consulting with executives from the station about the job, but the final call will be made by WWL-AM and Entercom officials.

WWL and Entercom are expected to name Henderson's successor sometime before the start of Saints training camp later this month, according to sources.

Former Saints running back Deuce McAllister is expected to return to his role as color analyst.

Strief, who retired in March after a 12-year playing career with the Saints, stands out among the finalists, given his lack of broadcasting experience. He received a bachelor's degree in communication from Northwestern University and has intermittently served as a guest host at WWL-AM since his retirement. He was also part of the station's NFL Draft coverage in May.

Filling in for Scoot on @WWLAMFM today from 1-4!! Think the Pels can maintain the momentum from the playoffs? Are you more likely to watch next year? Do college degrees mean what they once did? These topics and more... Call me and help me fill up 3 hours!!

Strief started 94 games for the Saints, including 87 starts at right tackle from 2011 to 2017. He played only two games last season after suffering a knee injury in Week 1 against the Minnesota Vikings. Before his retirement, he was tied with Drew Brees as the longest tenured player on the Saints roster.

Hoss, who left WWL-TV after 27 years in 2017, has worked as an in-game sideline host at Saints home games for the past year. He also hosted an NFL Draft event for the team in May.

Station officials began notifying interview candidates who did not make the cut as finalists last week. 

Among the known candidates no longer under consideration are J.D. Byars, the play-by-play voice of the University of South Alabama athletics; Todd Graffagnini, the Tulane University play-by-play announcer; Ken Trahan, longtime local broadcaster and the general manager of the Saints Hall of Fame; and Scott Walker, WDSU-TV anchor.

The gun slinger and phil like this

I think Strief would be pretty good. I've seen him break down game film,I think if he brings that same personality to the radio he'll be very good.

Richard likes this

I hope he gets the job it would be cool to have two former players doing the broadcasting. Especially since both played under Payton. I bet they would hboth have good insight. IT doesn't hurt the degree Strief has. 

Strief is very smart and well spoken. He still has a passion for Saints football and loves N.O.. It would be cool to have two former players who both played under Payton in the broadcast booth. They would give a very unique insight to the game.

Swede Saint and Richard like this